[Balin] Behind these hazel ayes

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Behind these hazel ayes

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Ciarán wins a lawsuit, then immediately intentionally benefits the losing party of the suit. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Behind these hazel ayes

Postby wolfier » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Let me start with the obvious, is the laws in question: inheritance/family/divorce/custody/visitations?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Now I can't sleeeeep, and I can't breeeeathe, I'm baaarely haaaaaaanging oooooooon...

Is Ciaran the lawyer? The plaintiff/defendant? Is this all part of a plan (i.e. Ciaran anticipated benefiting the losing party if he won)? Is he happy to be benefiting the losing party? Is this an unintended consequence?

Does he benefit the losing party financially? Socially? Is the nature of the benefit to the losing party similar in nature to the consequence they suffered in losing the lawsuit?

Is there a relevant relationship between Ciaran and the losing party?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Let me start with the obvious, is the laws in question: inheritance/family/divorce/custody/visitations? No

Now I can't sleeeeep, and I can't breeeeathe, I'm baaarely haaaaaaanging oooooooon... You know more of the lyrics than I do.

Is Ciaran the lawyer? The plaintiff/defendant? He's a defendant (EDIT: and by defendant I mean plaintiff)
Is this all part of a plan (i.e. Ciaran anticipated benefiting the losing party if he won)? No Is he happy to be benefiting the losing party? Yes Is this an unintended consequence? No

Does he benefit the losing party financially? Yes Socially? No Is the nature of the benefit to the losing party similar in nature to the consequence they suffered in losing the lawsuit? Yes

Is there a relevant relationship between Ciaran and the losing party? svv of "relationship"
Balin

Postby wolfier » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:31 am

Is copyright laws relevant? are animals involved? WAG: is PETA involved?
wolfier

Postby Westing1992 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:18 am

Did Ciaran receive money for winning? Did this money come from the plaintiff? From another source? (I guess since he was the defendant, that's not how it would work...)

Was the plaintiff a single person? An organization? A business?
Westing1992

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Is copyright laws relevant? are animals involved? WAG: is PETA involved? No to all

Did Ciaran receive money for winning? Yes Did this money come from the plaintiff? From another source? (I guess since he was the defendant, that's not how it would work...) WHOOPS! My mistake; he is a plaintiff. The money came from the defendant

Was the [EDIT: defendant] a single person? An organization? A business? A business
Balin

Postby wolfier » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm

so he sued a business, won money, and then benefitted the business? did he buy good or services from the business with the money he won?
wolfier

Postby Westing1992 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:17 am

Was he an employee of the business? A customer?
Did he sue for breach of contract? False advertising? Unsafe products? Mistreatment?
Was the amount of money he received substantial? Meager compared to what he was hoping?
Westing1992

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 pm

so he sued a business, won money, and then benefitted the business? Yope/Yes/Yes did he buy good or services from the business with the money he won? Yes

Was he an employee of the business? A customer? This
Did he sue for breach of contract? False advertising? This, see above Yope Unsafe products? Mistreatment?
Was the amount of money he received substantial? Meager compared to what he was hoping? It was a small amount of money, but not compared to what he was hoping
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 pm

HINT: There is something relevant about the lawsuit that still hasn't been guessed.
Balin

Postby wolfier » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Did he buy good or service from the business afterwards?
If Good - is the good perishable?
If Service - Is it some kind of brokerage or does the business provide the service itself? Is it online?

The lawsuit: type of court relevant? jury?
wolfier

Postby Balin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Did he buy good or service from the business afterwards? Yes
If Good - is the good perishable? Yes
If Service - Is it some kind of brokerage or does the business provide the service itself? Is it online? It's a good, not a service

The lawsuit: type of court relevant? Yes (I'll say it's a type of civil suit) jury? I'm not sure
Balin

Postby wolfier » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 am

Is it a class action suit and Ciarán is just one of many plaintiffs? did he win money in terms of store credits or gift cards? did he overpay for the good he bought (before the lawsuit)?
wolfier

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 am

Is it a class action suit and Ciarán is just one of many plaintiffs? Yes.

****SPOILER****

As recounted by a Redditor:

"In 2011 I received a notice that I might be eligible as a member of a class action lawsuit because of Nutella’s ‘healthy alternative’ advertising. I filled out the card saying that yes I had purchased 3 Nutella jars in my region between X and X date, and mailed it in. 3 years later I received a $12 check in the mail with a letter saying this was my settlement. I deposited the check and bought $12 of Nutella to celebrate."
Balin

Re: [Balin] Behind these hazel ayes (*JUDGMENT RULED*)

Postby wolfier » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 pm

haha...
I asked because I went through a similar situation - https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw ... -1.4648642

Although it is more like a settlement than a verdict.
wolfier

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles