[invisiblemimsy] Sign of the Times 3

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Sign of the Times 3

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:11 pm

I go where others went 140 years ago.
How many have been here before me, I wonder?

I = me = invisiblemimsy = HAF.
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Sign of the Times 3

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31 am

So you physically go to a olace where someone (human? Animal? Both?) went exactly 140 years ago right? is it a museum? Archaeological digs relevant? Ancient ruins? A natural place?

To be sure: 140 years ago = earth time? Years made of 365 days each multiplied by 140?

Did you expect that many went there before you? Did someone else go there with you? Is everybody in the possibility of going where you went? I mean...in a city that is born 200 years ago, quite in every place there has been people 140 years ago. Is it something like that?

Is that place something relevant? Of historical nature and value?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

Earnest wrote:So you physically go to a olace for SVV of 'place', yes. where someone (human? this Animal? Both?) went exactly 140 years ago right? yope... not 'exactly' is it a museum? Archaeological digs relevant? Ancient ruins? A natural place? no to these

To be sure: 140 years ago = earth time? yes Years made of 365 days each multiplied by 140? yes

Did you expect that many went there before you? It's very likely, though I can't prove it. Hence the question, "How many have been here?..." Did someone else go there with you? No Is everybody in the possibility of going where you went? Not everybody, and the number is uncertain
I mean...in a city that is born 200 years ago, quite in every place there has been people 140 years ago. OTWT Is it something like that?

Is that place something relevant? For svv of 'place', yes Of historical nature yes and value? yes
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am

Microscopical world relevant? Or are we talking about a place like a building? Something human made? If the latter, made more than 140 years ago? Is the place on earth? On a desert? On a mountain? On the water? In a place difficult to reach? On an island? Did you reach the place? Did you reach the place using a relevant mean of transport? Relevant where the place is? In a relevant country? Is it a statue? A room? A monument?

You cannot prove that humans went there because there were no traces? Are recordings relevant? Signatures? Portraits? Sculptures? Paintings?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:00 pm

SVV place: path? Several places? An object? A route? A road? Canal? Was the place built 140 years ago?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Earnest wrote:Microscopical world relevant? No Or are we talking about a place like a building? No Something human made? Yes If the latter, made more than 140 years ago? Made... 138 years ago, afaict Is the place on earth? So, now you know it's a thing rather than a place... but YES on Earth On a desert? On a mountain? On the water? In a place difficult to reach? On an island? It's unlikely to have ever been in any of these places, unless you count Great Britain as an island Did you reach the place? FA Did you reach the place using a relevant mean of transport? FA Relevant where the place is? No In a relevant country? Well, it's in Great Britain, but that's not relevant really Is it a statue? A room? A monument? No to these

You cannot prove that humans went there because there were no traces? There are very few traces, so I can't prove it, no. However, it's very likely some did. Are recordings relevant? no Signatures? yes Portraits? Sculptures? Paintings? no to these
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 pm

GalFisk wrote:SVV place: path? no Several places? over the years, yes several
An object? yes A route? A road? Canal? not these Was the place built 140 years ago? the object was (or 138 years anyway)
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 am

Signatures relevant...so is the object a piece of paper? A letter? A document? Are signatures on a paper? On a rock? Are them on a printed document? On an hand written one? On a sculpture? engravings relevant? Signature of relevant people? Is the object a weapon? A tool? Is it in a building? Harrowds relevant? Queen's palace? In a park? In a pub? Fish and chips? Hard rock Caffé?

Are signatures classical ones? Or maybe an hand with the corresponding name below?
I have a little WAG but now I know it is not...anyway I'll try...who knows maybe also in GB there is something similar: I was thinking about signatures of famous people like in las vegas (or los angeles maybe?!)...so a piece of cement in a walking where there is the hand of the person, a star and below his/her name. This would have justified the fact that we are talking about an object, the "where" in the puzzle statement and the signature part...
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am

Earnest wrote:Signatures relevant...so is the object a piece of paper? A letter? A document? Are signatures on a paper? On a rock? Are them on a printed document? On an hand written one? On a sculpture? engravings relevant? Signature of relevant people? yes Is the object a weapon? A tool? Is it in a building? yes, most of the time but not always relevant? yes Queen's palace? In a park? In a pub? Fish and chips? Hard rock Caffé?

Are signatures classical ones? Or maybe an hand with the corresponding name below?
I have a little WAG but now I know it is not...anyway I'll try...who knows maybe also in GB there is something similar: I was thinking about signatures of famous people like in las vegas (or los angeles maybe?!)...so a piece of cement in a walking where there is the hand of the person, a star and below his/her name. This would have justified the fact that we are talking about an object, the "where" in the puzzle statement and the signature part...
no to
Everything else, sorry
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Wow jackpot again! XD I expected...I just liked the WAG

So signatures are directly on the object right? And the object is not a paper? And it can be transferred from a place to another?
Is the material of the object relevant? Gold? Silver? Iron? Wood? Plastic? Film? Others?

Relevant people: were the signatures made 140 years ago? At the time the object was made (was it made = constructed)? After?
Relevant people = of historical relevance? Politicians? Artists? Sport players?
Were the signatures made directly by the relevant people? If so during an historical event?
Second industrial revolution relevant? Railways?
Skyscreapers? Elevators? Colonialism?
Is the object something that can be "used" by anyone? (E.g. a toilette? A piece of furniture? A mirror? ...)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Earnest wrote:Wow jackpot again! XD I expected...I just liked the WAG :lol:

So signatures are directly on the object right? Yes And the object is not a paper? Correct, it is NOT a paper And it can be transferred from a place to another? yes
Is the material of the object relevant? It would narrow it down Gold? Silver? Iron? Wood? Plastic? Film? None of these Others? yes

Relevant people: were the signatures made 140 years ago? yes At the time the object was made (was it made = constructed)? yes and yes After?
Relevant people = of historical relevance? Only in a general sense, in that the people who had it 140 years ago, and the object itself, were "of their time". Politicians? Artists? Sport players? Could be any of these in theory, but I'm not sure now whether you're talking about the maker or the users
Were the signatures made directly by the relevant people? yesish... define 'relevant people' If so during an historical event? no
Second industrial revolution relevant? Railways? no
Skyscreapers? Elevators? Colonialism? no to these
Is the object something that can be "used" by anyone? yes, in theory (E.g. a toilette? This-ishA piece of furniture? A mirror? ...)
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Is it made of ceramic? Wc? Something in a toilette? Shower? Piece of furniture of the toilette? The door? Do anyone knows that the object is of 138 years ago? Are sewage relevant?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Earnest wrote:Is it made of ceramic? Yes Wc? Yesish Something in a toilette? Probably not but OTRT Shower? No Piece of furniture of the toilette? No The door? No Do anyone knows that the object is of 138 years ago? Yes, explore Are sewage relevant? I think so, but DOYD of 'sewage'.
invisiblemimsy

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Chamberpot?
jumpingjacks

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:01 pm

And following on from my question.. when you say you 'go', do you mean wee?
jumpingjacks

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:17 pm

cp3.png
cp3.png (148.44 KiB) Viewed 587 times
jumpingjacks wrote:Chamberpot?
And following on from my question.. when you say you 'go', do you mean wee?

Yes indeed!

******************************$POILER**********************************

I go where others went 140 years ago.
How many have been here before me, I wonder?

So "go" and "been" refers to "going to the toilet" rather than perambulating to/from a place. I have a chamberpot (photo below) which was made 1880-1882. We can be quite specific as to the date because of the maker's marks underneath. It's in excellent condition so I would think not many have used it. Just to clarify, neither have I, except in this puzzle!

Congratulations to jumpingjacks for the solve, and to Earnest and Galfisk for taking part.

cp1.jpg
cp1.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 587 times

invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Sign of the Times 3 **BEEN & GONE**

Postby jumpingjacks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Amazing!!
jumpingjacks

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles