[Balin] "Help wanted" wanted help

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] "Help wanted" wanted help

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Terry informs a potential employer that he is looking forward to their not hiring him. Why on earth is this so?
Balin

Re: [Balin] "Help wanted" wanted help

Postby dukhsan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Did Terry actually apply for one or more jobs with the employer, and if so did he actually want to work for them?
If he did apply, was his application considered? If so, did it lead to interviews, job offers, or the company formally declining him? Does it matter exactly when (or where) he said he was looking forward to not being hired?

Does it matter how he was in communication with them (in person, online, over the phone, Twitter, etc.)?

Was this part of a ruse, trick, or some other non-routine situation? Is there direct benefit to Terry from the company or from other entities as a direct result of not being hired?
dukhsan

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:45 am

Sorry for repeating...

Did Terry know that he was informing a potential employer? Or did he think to talk to someone else? Was the potential employer actually offering a job? To Terry also? If so, was Terry interested in the job offered by the potential employer?
Was Terry employed already somewhere else? Is football relevant? Sport in general? Rivalry among teams?
Is Terry specifically interested in not being hired by the company represented by the potential employer? Or to be hired by anybody? Did Terry move first? I mean...was the first contact among T and the potential employer established by T or by the potential employer? Did the potential employer ask for a reply by Terry? Did T answer to an announcement?

Are the specific words used by T relevant? Did he make a mistake? Is a pun involved? Did T want still to work for the company even if not hired? Is T's final aim to be employed/hired? Is the job offered by the potential employer an ordinary job? Is T not interested in being hired in any role offered by the company ? In a specific role offered by the company?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Did Terry actually apply for one or more jobs with the employer, and if so did he actually want to work for them? Yes to both
If he did apply, was his application considered? Briefly If so, did it lead to interviews, job offers, or the company formally declining him? No, no, yes Does it matter exactly when (or where) he said he was looking forward to not being hired? I'll say it is relevant how he said it

Does it matter how he was in communication with them (in person, online, over the phone, Twitter, etc.)? Online

Was this part of a ruse, trick, or some other non-routine situation? No Is there direct benefit to Terry from the company or from other entities as a direct result of not being hired? No

Did Terry know that he was informing a potential employer? Yes Or did he think to talk to someone else? No Was the potential employer actually offering a job? Yes To Terry also? Indirectly - assume the job was offered online If so, was Terry interested in the job offered by the potential employer? Yes
Was Terry employed already somewhere else? Irrel, assume No Is football relevant? Sport in general? Rivalry among teams? No to these
Is Terry specifically interested in not being hired by the company represented by the potential employer? No Or to be hired by anybody? He does want to be hired
Did Terry move first? I mean...was the first contact among T and the potential employer established by T or by the potential employer? By Terry Did the potential employer ask for a reply by Terry? No Did T answer to an announcement? Yes

Are the specific words used by T relevant? Yes Did he make a mistake? Yes Is a pun involved? No Did T want still to work for the company even if not hired? Irrel Is T's final aim to be employed/hired? Yes Is the job offered by the potential employer an ordinary job? Yes
Is T not interested in being hired in any role offered by the company ? In a specific role offered by the company? He does want to be hired
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Does he write the application in his native language? Are double/triple negatives relevant? Is the relevant mistake in his letter of motivation? in his CV? in something he enters in an online form? Does he check a wrong checkbox? Did someone play a prank on him, e.g. a proofreader who inserted "not" into any of his documents?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Does he write the application in his native language? Yes, and that language is English Are double/triple negatives relevant? No
Is the relevant mistake in his letter of motivation? Yes (I've never heard that term before; I've always heard it called a "cover letter") in his CV? in something he enters in an online form?
Does he check a wrong checkbox? No
Did someone play a prank on him, e.g. a proofreader who inserted "not" into any of his documents? No
Balin

Postby Doriana » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Does he make a spelling mistake? A grammar mistake? Use a wrong word?

WAG: Does he want to sound more impressive/intelligent and replace words with synonyms he finds online, without actually checking their meaning?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Does he make a spelling mistake? A grammar mistake? Yes Use a wrong word? Yes

WAG: Does he want to sound more impressive/intelligent and replace words with synonyms he finds online, without actually checking their meaning? I like this, but No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:05 am

Can we assume the mistake to be in the body of the cover letter? At the very beginning? At the very end? In the title? Is the mistake due mainly to automatic correction? "hired" replaced by "fired" relevant? Is the fact that the cover letter was typed on the keyboard relevant (was it right?) ?

Does the mistake consists of: misspelling one or more words? Put a word in the wrong place? Put a "not" whereby it was not necessary? Put the wrong word in the right place? Not putting a word where necessary? Are adverbs like "just", "only", "not" relevant? an "nt" at the end of a "would" for example or something like that?
Is the wrong word an adverb? A verb (can't vs cannot)? A noun? An adjective? A pronoun (e.g. it seemed that he was not personally interested but someone else was)?

Did he say he was not capable to perform the task offered?
Was there an option of the type "interested in the position" or "not interested in the position" and he mistakenly clicked on "not interested"? LinkedIn relevant? Is a specific text format/style required? Formal style?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Can we assume the mistake to be in the body of the cover letter? Yes At the very beginning? At the very end? It would be fairly close to either the beginning or the end In the title? No Is the mistake due mainly to automatic correction? No "hired" replaced by "fired" relevant? No Is the fact that the cover letter was typed on the keyboard relevant (was it right?) ? It was typed, but the puzzle would still work if he wrote it by hand

Does the mistake consists of: misspelling one or more words? Yes/Yope Put a word in the wrong place? Put a "not" whereby it was not necessary? Put the wrong word in the right place? Also Yes/Yope Not putting a word where necessary? Are adverbs like "just", "only", "not" relevant? an "nt" at the end of a "would" for example or something like that? No to rest
Is the wrong word an adverb? This A verb (can't vs cannot)? A noun? An adjective? A pronoun (e.g. it seemed that he was not personally interested but someone else was)?

Did he say he was not capable to perform the task offered? No
Was there an option of the type "interested in the position" or "not interested in the position" and he mistakenly clicked on "not interested"? No LinkedIn relevant? No Is a specific text format/style required? Irrel Formal style? Irrel
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 pm

adverb of the type "adjective + ly" (e.g. constantly; permanently, absolutely, fortunately...); a word that "borns" as an adverb (here, now, very, there, hence, thus, though, yesterday..)?
Was the adverb meant to be an intensifier? If so did it obtain the opposite result?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:19 pm

adverb of the type "adjective + ly" (e.g. constantly; permanently, absolutely, fortunately...) No
a word that "borns" as an adverb (here, now, very, there, hence, thus, though, yesterday..)? Um... the word can start a sentence as an adverb, but in this situation it did not start the sentence
Was the adverb meant to be an intensifier? No If so did it obtain the opposite result?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 am

Did he use the adverb in a wrong or inappropriate way? In the wrong place in the sentence? Did it change the overall meaning of what he wanted to say? Is it a word with two meanings? Did it relate to time or place? E.g. confusion with here vs there? Anything to do with recent changes in the language, such as when people say something is "sick" when they mean "good"?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:01 am

Does The mistake consist of a completely changed word? Does The mistaken word differ from The original one for a single letter? Two or more? Suffix or prefix relevant? Would a non careful reader spot The mistake simply? Had The employer? Is the adverb central for The meaning of The whole sentence? Would The sentence make Sense without The adverb? Is the sentence very Long? Is it a question? An exclamation? A normal sentence?
Relevant which type of Job we are talking about? Did He Say He is Not interested in something they do?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Did he use the adverb in a wrong or inappropriate way? Wrong, yes In the wrong place in the sentence? No Did it change the overall meaning of what he wanted to say? Yes Is it a word with two meanings? Not relevantly (no double meaning is relevant) Did it relate to time or place? No E.g. confusion with here vs there? No Anything to do with recent changes in the language, such as when people say something is "sick" when they mean "good"? No

Does The mistake consist of a completely changed word? Yope Does The mistaken word differ from The original one for a single letter? No Two or more? No (and I think there's an FA) Suffix or prefix relevant? No Would a non careful reader spot The mistake simply? They might not Had The employer? Yes Is the adverb central for The meaning of The whole sentence? I think so, if I understand the question correctly Would The sentence make Sense without The adverb? No Is the sentence very Long? No Is it a question? An exclamation? A normal sentence? Normal sentence
Relevant which type of Job we are talking about? No Did He Say He is Not interested in something they do? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Ok so has the adverb more than 2 letters? I do Not Want to really investigate the word per se but I don't See any other possiible path...
does the sentence make sense with the wrong adverb? If so, relevant the word following the adverb? The word preceding it? (Were there words preceding and following it?)
Wanted sentence = " I am very interested in the position offered?" "I would really like to be hired by the company because..." "I am really looking forward being hired"? Is the adverb part of a composite verb (e.g. get "back", run "into", looking "forward"...)?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Ok so has the adverb more than 2 letters? Yes I do Not Want to really investigate the word per se but I don't See any other possiible path...
does the sentence make sense with the wrong adverb? It is readable, but there is an FA here If so, relevant the word following the adverb? Not as relevant as the mistake itself The word preceding it? See previous, but with an -ish (Were there words preceding and following it?) Yes
Wanted sentence = " I am very interested in the position offered?" "I would really like to be hired by the company because..." "I am really looking forward being hired"? This is his intended meaning, and closest to the actual sentence Is the adverb part of a composite verb (e.g. get "back", run "into", looking "forward"...)? No
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Ever to never? Or the other way around?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 am

Is actually the new word put instead of the adverb an adverb itself? Is this the FA?
So starting from the closest sentence..."I am really looking forward being hired" --> is the part that modifies w.r.t this sentence the way in which he wrote "being hired"? Maybe he would like to write something like "to join the company" or " to take part of the team", "come aboard"?

WAG --> he wanted to say "I am really looking toward getting aboard", but instead wrote down "I am really looking toward getting abroad"?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 pm

Was it as a result of this error that they decided not to hire him? Or would they have passed over him anyway? Did he actually get an interview?
Is the sentence insulting? Does it give the wrong idea about his skills, or lack of them? His attitude to the company or the job or type of work?
Did he inadvertently convey something outrageous?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 am

Ever to never? Or the other way around? No to both

Is actually the new word put instead of the adverb an adverb itself? "The adverb" is the incorrect word, not the correct thing he meant to type Is this the FA? Not the one I keep seeing
So starting from the closest sentence..."I am really looking forward being hired" --> is the part that modifies w.r.t this sentence the way in which he wrote "being hired"? Yes, see next Maybe he would like to write something like "to join the company" or " to take part of the team" This is very close!, "come aboard"?

WAG --> he wanted to say "I am really looking toward getting aboard", but instead wrote down "I am really looking toward getting abroad"? No

Was it as a result of this error that they decided not to hire him? Yes Or would they have passed over him anyway? Irrel Did he actually get an interview? No
Is the sentence insulting? No Does it give the wrong idea about his skills, or lack of them? Only in that a grammatical error in one's cover letter shows inattention to detail His attitude to the company or the job or type of work? Not particularly
Did he inadvertently convey something outrageous? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 am

To be sure: he put an incorrect adverb instead of a correct word, which is not an adverb, right? And the incorrect adverb is a meaningful word which turn the meaning of the sentence into something like "I do not want to be hired"? Am I correct? Or is there a FA again?
If so, was the correct word a verb? A noun? An attribute?
"to take part of the team" --> "to join the team"? "to be part of the team"? "to team up with you"? Is the word "team " relevant? Is the word "with"? With vs wit? with vs without? (I know there is a particular way to write without starting from with, but I do not remember it)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 pm

To be sure: he put an incorrect adverb instead of a correct word, which is not an adverb, right? Yes, but this includes the FA And the incorrect adverb is a meaningful word which turn the meaning of the sentence into something like "I do not want to be hired"? This is correct Am I correct? Or is there a FA again?
If so, was the correct word a verb? A noun? Yes, but with the FA An attribute?
"to take part of the team" This is still closest --> "to join the team"? "to be part of the team"? "to team up with you"?
Is the word "team" relevant? Is the word "with"? With vs wit? with vs without? (I know there is a particular way to write without starting from with, but I do not remember it) No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 am

FA did HE put the incorrect adverb? Someone else? Can we call both the incorrect and the correct versions "words"? Or are they maybe symbols? Can we assume that the adverb shows up in the cover letter? Is the word "wrong" or "incorrect" in front of adverb the FA? In the sense that the adverb was grammatically correct though distorcing the meaning of the original sentence?
I imagine the scene as follows:
1) he writes the letter
2) he mistakenly put an adverb instead of a noun while writing.
Is this correct? Assuming he did one unique version of the cover letter which he did not review; is this right? And in this unique version there was the adverb already? Did he want to put the adverb maybe somewhere else in the letter? Or did he not want the adverb to appear at all? Can the noun be used as an adverb? If so depending on its position in the sentence?

Is the original noun: "part"? Are synonyms of "taking part" relevant? Like participate/join/help? Or something like "myself"? In first line? Is the mistake due maybe to exchange of letters? Or to spots covering original letters of the noun?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm

FA did HE put the incorrect adverb? He did Someone else? No Can we call both the incorrect and the correct versions "words"? Yes... Or are they maybe symbols? No Can we assume that the adverb shows up in the cover letter? Yes Is the word "wrong" or "incorrect" in front of adverb the FA? No, the adverb is the incorrect word In the sense that the adverb was grammatically correct though distorcing the meaning of the original sentence? This isn't the FA

I imagine the scene as follows:
1) he writes the letter
2) he mistakenly put an adverb instead of a noun while writing.
Is this correct? Yes
Assuming he did one unique version of the cover letter which he did not review; is this right? Yes And in this unique version there was the adverb already? Yes
Did he want to put the adverb maybe somewhere else in the letter? Or did he not want the adverb to appear at all? This
Can the noun be used as an adverb? Yes, see below, but irrel If so depending on its position in the sentence?

Is the original noun: "part"? Yes! (but the FA is still present!) Are synonyms of "taking part" relevant? No Like participate/join/help? No Or something like "myself"? No In first line? Just the one sentence is relevant Is the mistake due maybe to exchange of letters? No Or to spots covering original letters of the noun? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 pm

"does the sentence make sense with the wrong adverb?" --> this question generated the FA right? So...I am assuming that the adverb is put in a sentence, which is correct right? Then I am assuming that the sentence is the same in which the correct word should have appeared, right? I am also assuming that the adverb is actually wrong in the sense that it is not the word that he wanted to appear.
And finally that there is a single adverb that is wrong...or actually the same repeated twice? (see below: part...part) Is the FA cleared?

Did he use "part" both as noun and adverb? In two different sentences? Did he use part as in "Perseus is part a God and part a human"?
"to take part of the team" closest...didi he double part: "to take part part of the team" ? Or maybe he wanted to say that he wanted to play a role in the team by saying: "take part in the team" and he said something like "to take apart in the team"?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:23 pm

"does the sentence make sense with the wrong adverb?" --> this question generated the FA right? No So...I am assuming that the adverb is put in a sentence, which is correct right? This is right Then I am assuming that the sentence is the same in which the correct word should have appeared, right? This is right, and the FA is here, but see below I am also assuming that the adverb is actually wrong in the sense that it is not the word that he wanted to appear. This is also right
And finally that there is a single adverb that is wrong...or actually the same repeated twice? No, not like this (see below: part...part) Is the FA cleared? See below

Did he use "part" both as noun and adverb? No In two different sentences? No Did he use part as in "Perseus is part a God and part a human"? No
"to take part of the team" closest...didi he double part: "to take part part of the team" ? No Or maybe he wanted to say that he wanted to play a role in the team by saying: "take part in the team" and he said something like "to take apart in the team"? Got it! (The FA was that the "correct word" was actually two words - "a part.")

****SPOILER****

In his cover letter, Terry wrote that "I am looking forward to being apart of this team" instead of "...being a part of this team." Since "apart" means "separate from," Terry told the employer that he was looking forward to their not hiring him!

(Well done Earnest - excellent diligence in working through the puzzle!)
Balin

Re: [Balin] "Help wanted" wanted help (*TAKEN APART*)

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Thank you and very creative puzzle! These kind of puzzles as well as pun style ones, are helping me a lot improving my still basic understanding of english!
Thank you guys :)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Neat puzzle. Thanks Balin! Earnest, your English is excellent.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks mimsy but I have still a lot to do :)
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles