[Balin] You'll shoot your eye out, kid

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Why did I ask Joel to not hand me a weapon?
Balin

Re: [Balin] You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Postby trebor » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Is wordplay occurring here? Relevant the type of weapon? If so: gun? knife? rope? candlestick? lead pipe? sword? other cutting device? blunt object? modern weapon? medieval? Is it a stage prop?
trebor

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 am

Is wordplay occurring here? No Relevant the type of weapon? It may help set the scene If so: gun? knife? rope? candlestick? lead pipe? sword? Mostly swords, a few spears thrown in for good measure other cutting device? blunt object? modern weapon? medieval? Is it a stage prop? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 am

Was it heavy? Relevant? Were you occupied doing something else? Were you unable to grab the sword? Something impeded/obstructed you? Did Joel handed you other weapons before? Swords? Were you tidying? Relevant where you needed to put the swords? Would you keep them? Handed to someone else? Put somewhere relevantly? Were you part of a scene/show? Were you part of the public? Did it happen outside of the theatrical contest? Were you setting up a show? If so, was it during the rehearsals? During the main show?
Did you find yourselves on the outside? Inside a building? Were there police? Had he handed you the sword would you have got into troubles? Would it have been dangerous?

Hand in = Joel was near you and he give you the sword from his hands into yours?
Relevant where Joel took the swords? Are masks relevant? Mannequins?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Was it heavy? A little, but not particularly Relevant? No
Were you occupied doing something else? No Were you unable to grab the sword? No Something impeded/obstructed you? No Did Joel handed you other weapons before? Yes Swords? A sword, yes Were you tidying? No Relevant where you needed to put the swords? No Would you keep them? I would keep one Handed to someone else? The swords were being handed out, yes Put somewhere relevantly? No
Were you part of a scene/show? Yes Were you part of the public? No Did it happen outside of the theatrical contest? No Were you setting up a show? Preparing for the show, yes If so, was it during the rehearsals? This During the main show?
Did you find yourselves on the outside? No Inside a building? Yes Were there police? No Had he handed you the sword would you have got into troubles? No Would it have been dangerous? No

Hand in = Joel was near you and he give you the sword from his hands into yours? Yes
Relevant where Joel took the swords? Are masks relevant? Mannequins?
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm

“inside a building” - so inside the theater? On the stage? Relevant what play? Were you inside “in-universe” as well?
gregoryuconn

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Did you prefer that he hand you something else? Or not hand you anything?
Were you expecting Joel to hand you something? At a certain time? On cue? As a favor? To be of help to you?
Did you ask Joel to hand you something? A specific object? A type of object?
Was Joel trying to be helpful to you?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Were you on stage? Were you supposed to go in seconds? Minutes? Did Joel know it? Were you wearing clothes to be ready and go to the stage? Did you need to have a sword in your hand when entering into the scene?

To be sure: you asked Joel not to hand in the sword in that specific moment? To not hand in in a particular moment (e.g. after you were in the scene?)? Could someone else have handed you the swords? Was Joel supposed to do something else than handing you the sword? Did you prefer to? Did you ask him to do somethibg else?
Was Joel part of the scene as well? Joel = HAM?
Did you ask it in order the scene to carry on in the right way? So that you can perform it better? Because it was more natural? "The sword in the Stone" relevant? (E.g. an object of the scene was the stone with a fake sword glued on it and he was in charge of secretely hand you another sword in the momebt you act the scene of extraction from the stone)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 pm

“inside a building” - so inside the theater? Yes On the stage? Yes Relevant what play? It should help with understanding the scenario, yes Were you inside “in-universe” as well? No

Did you prefer that he hand you something else? Or not hand you anything? This
Were you expecting Joel to hand you something? At the time I asked, Yes At a certain time? Yes On cue? Yesish As a favor? Not so much this as... To be of help to you? ...this. Rather, this-ish
Did you ask Joel to hand you something? No A specific object? A type of object?
Was Joel trying to be helpful to you? Yes

Were you on stage? Yes Were you supposed to go in seconds? This was just after we had rehearsed the relevant scene Minutes? Did Joel know it? Yes, he was in that relevant scene Were you wearing clothes to be ready and go to the stage? Yes (although it wasn't a dress rehearsal; I was not in costume, but that's irrel) Did you need to have a sword in your hand when entering into the scene? No

To be sure: you asked Joel not to hand in the sword in that specific moment? To not hand in in a particular moment (e.g. after you were in the scene?)? This, good q Could someone else have handed you the swords? No
Was Joel supposed to do something else than handing you the sword? Not exactly Did you prefer to? Yes Did you ask him to do somethibg else? Yes
Was Joel part of the scene as well? Yes Joel = HAM? HTM, but his age is irrel
Did you ask it in order the scene to carry on in the right way? Somewhat Yes So that you can perform it better? Definitely Yes Because it was more natural? No "The sword in the Stone" relevant? No (E.g. an object of the scene was the stone with a fake sword glued on it and he was in charge of secretely hand you another sword in the momebt you act the scene of extraction from the stone) Clever idea, but No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:54 am

Were you supposed to leave the stage after he handed you the sword? Did you perform the part of a blibd person? Do you need to look at Joel while handing you the sword? Was Joel meant to be seen by the public while handing you the sword?

Did you prefer to go and take the sword from the hands of Joel? To go and take it from where it is? From the floor?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Were you supposed to leave the stage after he handed you the sword? No Did you perform the part of a blind person? No Do you need to look at Joel while handing you the sword? No Was Joel meant to be seen by the public while handing you the sword? Yes

Did you prefer to go and take the sword from the hands of Joel? To go and take it from where it is? From the floor? None of these
Balin

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:14 pm

For clarity, this was after the scene? But Joel would normally be onstage? Does he, in the following scene, hand you the sword while you’re offstage?

Is it a panto? Shakespearean play? Period piece? A comedy? Drama? Tragedy? Musical?

Did you ask him not to because you had something on your hands? In your hands? Because something was falling and you were holding it up? Because you were otherwise incapacitated? To make a joke?
trebor

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Les Trois Mousquetaires? (i soundz liek french kitteh todai...also, naim more like mouse XD)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 pm

For clarity, this was after the scene? Yes But Joel would normally be onstage? During the scene, he was on stage, Yes Does he, in the following scene, hand you the sword while you’re offstage? No

Is it a panto? Shakespearean play? Period piece? A comedy? Drama? Tragedy? Musical? This

Did you ask him not to because you had something on your hands? In your hands? Because something was falling and you were holding it up? Because you were otherwise incapacitated? To make a joke? This, explore

Les Trois Mousquetaires? (i soundz liek french kitteh todai...also, naim more like mouse XD) Non, mais tu est dans la... I haven't tried to type French since high school, who am I kidding. English it is: No, but you're in the correct country (the setting of the musical)
Balin

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Les Misérables? (I should have guessed that in the first place, probably)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:45 am

Joke = Joel using the sword in your place? Someone else?
Does it involve shadows? Lights? Is the joke related to the musical? To the character you were performing (Javert?)? Did you need your hands to be free to perform the joke? To hand something else in? Is the joke performed onstage? Soon after the scene? During another scene? Were you part of the next scene as well? If so was it the same scene repeated? A different one?

Relevant who was onstage a part from you and Joel? What was onstage? Was Joel supposed to hand you the sword after the scene? During the scene? Was the sword somehow noisy? Cumbersome? Would Joel handed you the sword later on? Did you ask him not to hand you the sword in that moment but later on? If so after the joke? Right before? Did you want that it seems that Joel was looking for you to hand you the sword? Relevant that it was a rehersal? Were you supposed to try the scene again? Was Joel supposed to hand you the sword so that the scene could have been properly repeated?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Les Misérables? No
(I should have guessed that in the first place, probably) I figured that would be the first guess when I said France was correct

Joke = Joel using the sword in your place? Someone else? Yes/Yope
Does it involve shadows? No Lights? No Is the joke related to the musical? Yes To the character you were performing Yes (Javert?) Wrong show, so not him Did you need your hands to be free to perform the joke? Yes/Yope To hand something else in? No Is the joke performed onstage? Yes Soon after the scene? No During another scene? No Were you part of the next scene as well? Yes but Irrel If so was it the same scene repeated? A different one? This

Relevant who was onstage apart from you and Joel? Yes, and I'll say there were a lot of people onstage What was onstage? Yes Was Joel supposed to hand you the sword after the scene? During the scene? This, initially Was the sword somehow noisy? No Cumbersome? No Would Joel handed you the sword later on? No Did you ask him not to hand you the sword in that moment but later on? No If so after the joke? Right before? Did you want that it seems that Joel was looking for you to hand you the sword? No Relevant that it was a rehersal? Maybe a little Were you supposed to try the scene again? At some point Was Joel supposed to hand you the sword so that the scene could have been properly repeated? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Hunchback of Notre Dame relevant? Cats? (...ok no swords in Cats maybe) is your character in the military? Is it a principal character? Phantom of the opera relevant?

Did the joke involve you leaving the stage? Did you tell Joel to hand to someone else the sword? Was it a chorus scene? Have you got a sheath for the sword? Relevant? Did you need to make the joke in the moment in which Joel was supposed to hand you the sword? Had Joel handed you the sword would he have seen where you were about to go? Would anyone turn?

Relevant part of being lot of people on stage = there was nobody backstage?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:05 am

Hunchback of Notre Dame relevant? Cats? (...ok no swords in Cats maybe) Phantom of the opera relevant? None of these
is your character in the military? No Is it a principal character? Depends on how strict you define "principal," but I'd say a secondary character

Did the joke involve you leaving the stage? No Did you tell Joel to hand to someone else the sword? Yes Was it a chorus scene? Yes, if I understand you correctly Have you got a sheath for the sword? No Relevant? Not really Did you need to make the joke in the moment in which Joel was supposed to hand you the sword? Yes, but I think you have an FA Had Joel handed you the sword would he have seen where you were about to go? I wasn't going anywhere Would anyone turn? Yes, people were turning in this part of the scene

Relevant part of being lot of people on stage = there was nobody backstage? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 pm

HINT: The show is Beauty and the Beast.
Balin

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:57 pm

"The Mob Song" relevant? (I'm working from knowledge of the films, I haven't seen the stage show)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:01 am

Did Joel take the sword from the facing of someone else (who maybe was supposed to draw the sword?use both habds? )? Was it the final song? Relevant to who he passed the sword? Was he/she aware of the joke you were going to make? Was he/she the victim? Is a song being interrupted? Is something said during the song? Did you take the part of someone else? Did you do your scene without the sword? Did the scene without you having the sword result in something hilarious? Did the sword get caught somewhere?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Were you Cogsworth? Lumiere? Gaston? Lefou? Belle’s father? One of the good guys? Bad guys? Chip? One of the furniture servants? Same questions for Joel, if it’s relevant?
trebor

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 pm

"The Mob Song" relevant? Yes, this was what we were rehearsing (I'm working from knowledge of the films, I haven't seen the stage show)

Did Joel take the sword from the facing of someone else (who maybe was supposed to draw the sword?use both habds? )? Not quite sure what you mean here Was it the final song? No Relevant to who he passed the sword? Not directly Was he/she aware of the joke you were going to make? When I asked Joel not to pass me a sword, I explained why Was he/she the victim? No Is a song being interrupted? No, but this does take place during a song (see above) Is something said during the song? Irrel Did you take the part of someone else? No Did you do your scene without the sword? Yes Did the scene without you having the sword result in something hilarious? Yes Did the sword get caught somewhere? No

Were you Cogsworth? Lumiere? Gaston? Lefou? Belle’s father? One of the good guys? Bad guys? Chip? One of the furniture servants? Same questions for Joel, if it’s relevant? I was Lefou, Joel was in the ensemble (in this scene, as a townsperson)
Balin

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:40 pm

*triez tu imagine balin cat az lefou* noez, balin cat iz smart kitteh, not teh foolish wun. Can haz cheezburgur. *givz* ;)

*ahem* anyway.

Does LeFou's character have anything to do with why the thing that happened was funny? Was LeFou interacting with Gaston at all or had he already gone after the Beast? LeFou's attraction to/hero-worship of Gaston relevant? (I'm not sure exactly how they play to this, but in the live action film anyway he seemed obviously attracted to Gaston, rather than just thinking he was awesome. Of course one could say he was in the 1991 film too, but it's harder to tell with that one...)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:06 pm

*triez tu imagine balin cat az lefou* noez, balin cat iz smart kitteh, not teh foolish wun. Can haz cheezburgur. *givz* ;) Much appreciated, although I just had my wisdom teeth out a couple days ago, so I can't really eat anything...

*ahem* anyway.

Does LeFou's character have anything to do with why the thing that happened was funny? Yes, just that he's the comic relief Was LeFou interacting with Gaston at all or had he already gone after the Beast? This was during "The Mob Song," so there is some interaction during that number but not a ton LeFou's attraction to/hero-worship of Gaston relevant? Not particularly (I'm not sure exactly how they play to this, but in the live action film anyway he seemed obviously attracted to Gaston, rather than just thinking he was awesome. Of course one could say he was in the 1991 film too, but it's harder to tell with that one...) I played the character as (to use my voice teacher's words) if Gaston needed to punch someone in the face, Lefou would gladly volunteer to be punched in the face.
Balin

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm

o noez, balin cat lost hiz wizdom!! *is glad virtual cheezburgur does not require chewing*
(I had all four of mine out already. It was horrible. Hoping yours went much easier *kitteh pawz hugz*)

that is a *really* accurate description of LeFou, I like it...

(*waitz for much moar clevur kitteh than me to haz question*)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 pm

HINT: As mentioned in the first set of answers, there were multiple weapons on stage.
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Editing out this double-post from below
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 am

Were the other weapons: swords? Sabres? Knives? Clubs? Sticks? Spears? Guns? Stun guns? Pepper spray? Machine guns? Bombs? Atomic bombs? Rockets? Broken bottles? Molotov cocktails? Flamethrowers? War planes? Biological weapons? Whips? Poison gas? Fierce animals?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Were the other weapons: swords? Sabres? Knives? Clubs? Sticks? Spears? Guns? Stun guns? Pepper spray? Machine guns? Bombs? Atomic bombs? Rockets? Broken bottles? Molotov cocktails? Flamethrowers? War planes? Biological weapons? Whips? Poison gas? Fierce animals? Swords and spears
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Did you ask him to not give you a sword? Spear? Any weapon? Relevant how many weapons there were? Where they were?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 am

Did you ask him to not give you a sword? Spear? Any weapon? This Relevant how many weapons there were? Slightly fewer than there were actors. Assume a dozen Where they were? They were on stage
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

Did you want there to be weapons enough for the other actors? Did you want them to "fight" each other instead of you?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:31 am

Did you want there to be weapons enough for the other actors? Well... I knew there weren't enough for all of us, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get one Did you want them to "fight" each other instead of you? No (remember the context of the scene)
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:57 pm

This has lingered long enough.

****SPOILER****

A couple years ago, I played Lefou in a local production of Beauty and the Beast. As part of the blocking for "The Mob Song," the actors playing the townsfolk passed around swords and spears to prepare to fight the Beast. I thought it would be funnier if Lefou kept trying to grab a weapon but nobody gave him one, since he's the comic relief and no one likes him anyway.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles