[WiZ] Every Fourth-Born Child...

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Every Fourth-Born Child...

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:19 am

I am a tall, pale-skinned causcasian redhead with a New Zealand accent. However, I can be much harder to find when surrounded by the Chinese. Why should that be so?

No caveat. Most probably quickie.
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Every Fourth-Born Child...

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 am

Hi WiZ!

I = you, WiZ?

I = same I in both statements? H/A/M?

"surrounded by the Chinese" = Chinese people? more than four? less than 20? 50? 100? are "the Chinese" in fact New Zealanders of Chinese heritage? are they recent immigrants?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 am

Hi WiZ! Hello, Kaylee Kitteh

I = you, WiZ? yes

I = same I in both statements? yes H/A/M? yes

"surrounded by the Chinese" = Chinese people? yes more than four? less than 20? 50? Assume 20-50 100? This would make me even harder to find, but has not yet applied in reality are "the Chinese" in fact New Zealanders of Chinese heritage? Many (although not all) are are they recent immigrants? Many (although not all) are, as above
WiZ

Postby hominid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 am

Would this be true of most people with your description? Or is it something specific to you?

Is there a specific time when you tend to be around Chinese people? At your job? Do you know the people personally? If you went to China, would you be hard to find?
hominid

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:29 am

Would this be true of most people with your description? no Or is it something specific to you? not uniquely

Is there a specific time when you tend to be around Chinese people? yes At your job? yes Do you know the people personally? as well as one knows a random assortment of colleagues If you went to China, would you be hard to find? no
WiZ

Postby hominid » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 am

Are you particularly hard to find when you're at work? (Maybe because you're taking the stairs instead of the elevator? :P) Are you hard to find because you're not visible at all? Because you blend in?
hominid

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 am

Are you particularly hard to find when you're at work? yes, this is what the puzzle is referring to (Maybe because you're taking the stairs instead of the elevator? :P) *snrk* Are you hard to find because you're not visible at all? no Because you blend in? no
WiZ

Postby Westing1992 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 am

Hard to find because people looking for you don't know where you are? Do they ask the Chinese about where you are? Is there a language barrier?

Are you yourself physically hard to find? Or is your name hard to find? Do you have a surname like Lee that's surrounded in a list by Chinese Lees?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:54 am

Hard to find because people looking for you don't know where you are? Not as immediately as they would without my learned Chinese friends about Do they ask the Chinese about where you are? no Is there a language barrier? noish

Are you yourself physically hard to find? no Or is your name hard to find? yes! Do you have a surname like Lee that's surrounded in a list by Chinese Lees? no, but very OTRT
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:07 am

Is your work email address relevant?
peter365

Postby Doriana » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 am

Does your name start with the same letter (combination) that a lot of Chinese names start with? If so, X? Zh? Ch?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Did the Chinese adopt common English-sounding names? Do you have a name popular among them? Are you hard to: see, in person? Search for, in a list? Shout for by name? Be perceived as different from the Chinese?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Peter

Is your work email address relevant? Yes, somewhat

Doriana

Does your name start with the same letter (combination) that a lot of Chinese names start with? No, but, again, OTRT If so, X? Zh? These two are relevant Ch? no

GalFisk

Did the Chinese adopt common English-sounding names? no Do you have a name popular among them? no Are you hard to: see, in person? Search for, in a list? this Shout for by name? Be perceived as different from the Chinese? no
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Does your name contain an x? a zh? Do people usually find you easily on lists because they just have to look for an uncommon letter (in English)? But on a list of (mainly) Chinese people, there there so many x's and zh's that the technique won't work?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Does your name contain an x? a zh? no to both Do people usually find you easily on lists yes because they just have to look for an uncommon letter no (in English)? But on a list of (mainly) Chinese people, there there so many x's and zh's that the technique won't work? However, this much is true
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Are you usually the last person on a list? Because your name starts with a Z?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Are you usually the last person on a list? Because your name starts with a Z?

***** SPOILER *****

My surname begins W-O-R, so I typically show up at the end of alphabetical lists of names (in staff directories etc). Whether in print or on computers, I was very easy to find!

However, if there are a lot of Chinese staff on the payroll, people will have to scroll past the Xhangs, Yus, and Zhous to find me.

I really noticed this difference when I moved government departments from Statistics to Land Information - the former having heavy Asian representation and the latter being more Maori and Pakeha.

Congratulations, Doriana, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles