[Balin] They say the darndest things

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] They say the darndest things

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:43 pm

For a few years now, I've experienced what you might call a "dry patch." To make matters worse, because of this, children occasionally accuse me of committing a crime. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] They say the darndest things

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:44 pm

PMed
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

PMed Correct
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Crime of: robbery? Murder? Jailbreak? Forgery? Violence? Theft? Identity theft? "You're not the real Santa"? Do the children know you? Do they think you look like someone relevant? Does the dry patch affect your looks? Behaviour? Finances? Relationships? Happiness?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 pm

'Dry' as in 'opposite of wet'? Not drinking alcohol? Not having enough work coming in? Not having enough of something else? Water? Other liquid? An area of something which is the opposite of wet? Is it only children who accuse you? Relevant which crime it is? Is it an actual crime or just a "crime"? Do you throw something away? Sabotage something? Damage it? Steal it? Remove it in some other way? Is it relevant that it's you, Balin, or could it be someone else? Are these specific children or children generally? Ages = [list of numbers]? Boys, girls? Number of children = [list of numbers]?
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 am

Is dry skin relevant? Do you use a moisturisor?
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 am

Crime of: robbery? Murder? Jailbreak? Forgery? Violence? Theft? Identity theft? Falls under the category of robbery/theft
"You're not the real Santa"? I am not, also No Do the children know you? Sometimes Do they think you look like someone relevant? No
Does the dry patch affect your looks? This Behaviour? Finances? Relationships? Happiness?

'Dry' as in 'opposite of wet'? Yes Not drinking alcohol? Not having enough work coming in? Not having enough of something else? Water? Other liquid? An area of something which is the opposite of wet? Yes
Is it only children who accuse you? No Relevant which crime it is? Yes Is it an actual crime or just a "crime"? The one without quotation marks
Do you throw something away? Sabotage something? Damage it? Steal it? Remove it in some other way? I do none of these
Is it relevant that it's you, Balin, or could it be someone else? It could be anyone, but this is true, so it's me Are these specific children or children generally? Generally Ages = [list of numbers]? Any age that can speak Boys, girls? Either, and both Number of children = [list of numbers]? Usually one at a time, but it has happened with a large group

Is dry skin relevant? No Do you use a moisturisor? Irrel
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Eye patches relevant? Do the children think you're a pirate?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Eye patches relevant? Do the children think you're a pirate? Yes and Yes and

****SPOILER****

I have a dry patch on my right cornea, which causes irritation with my contact lenses over time. Eventually, my eye becomes too painful for me to wear a lens in that eye, so I patch it over for the day (another "dry patch," as it were). And a good portion of the time, when I cross paths with a child on a day where I'm wearing the eyepatch, the child will ask if I'm a pirate.

(Actually, it's often the adults I see who make pirate jokes. They've become obnoxious.)
Balin

Re: [Balin] They say the darndest things (*PATCHED*)

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 am

Balin wrote:(Actually, it's often the adults I see who make pirate jokes. They've become obnoxious.)

That must be annoying. I get so many jokes about catching butterflies when I have my lacrosse stick with me, and people always seem to think they're super witty for coming up with that. Yeah, I've totally never heard that one before :roll:
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles