[hoodie] In Memoriam

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[hoodie] In Memoriam

Postby hoodie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:08 am

This is a true story that occurred in the 2000's. If you recognize it because you heard about it in the news, or perhaps
because you listened to a recent podcast episode, please recuse yourself.

Many people died that day. There currently exists a memorial honoring all of them, plus one more. Explain.
Last edited by hoodie on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoodie

Re: [hoodie] In Memoriam

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:06 am

9/11 relevant? 2004 tsunami relevant?

Did all people die at the same time? in the same place? of the same cause?
Many people = more than 10? more than 100? more than 1000?

Were the deaths caused by a natural disaster? terrorism? war? a plane crash? some other accident? a disease?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Did the one more person also die that day? Before? Later? While trying to save someone? Is the inclusion of the one more person deliberate? Correct?
GalFisk

Postby hoodie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Doriana:

9/11 relevant? No 2004 tsunami relevant? No

Did all people die at the same time? Not exactly the same time, but close. in the same place? Not exactly the same place, but close. of the same cause? Yes
Many people = more than 10? this more than 100? more than 1000?
Were the deaths caused by a natural disaster? terrorism? war? a plane crash? this some other accident? a disease?

GalFisk:

Did the one more person also die that day? No Before? Later? this While trying to save someone? No Is the inclusion of the one more person deliberate? Yes Correct? Yes
hoodie

Postby trebor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Was the one more person on the plane as it crashed? Did they die: days later? Months? Years? Were they part of a rescue effort? Part of a crash reconstruction team? Did they work for the airline? Had someone on the plane been scheduled to donate an organ to this person?
trebor

Postby hoodie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm

trebor:

Was the one more person on the plane as it crashed? No. Did they die: days later? Months? Years? this. about 1.5 years later.

Were they part of a rescue effort? Part of a crash reconstruction team? Did they work for the airline? Had someone on the plane been scheduled to donate an organ to this person? No to all.
hoodie

Postby trebor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Were they relevantly related to? acquainted with? someone involved in the crash?
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Did the one person die as a result of the plane crash? Die from injuries? Disease? Was the one person on the plane? Near the crash? Did anyone on the plane survive? Did anyone on the ground die?
GalFisk

Postby hoodie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 pm

trebor:

Were they relevantly related to? acquainted with? someone involved in the crash? They were not associated with any specific individual who died in the crash. But explore....

GalFisk:

Did the one person die as a result of the plane crash? Indirectly Die from injuries? Yes Disease? No

Was the one person on the plane? Near the crash? Did anyone on the plane survive? Did anyone on the ground die? No to all of these.
hoodie

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:23 am

Would it be safe to say that the person might NOT have died if the plane had not crashed? Age of person relevant? HAM? HAF? Was this person's death an accident? Did they have any relevant disability?

Is anyone's occupation relevant?
Hobbsicle

Postby hoodie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 am

Hobbsicle:

Would it be safe to say that the person might NOT have died if the plane had not crashed? Most definitely. Age of person relevant? Adult. Specific age not relevant HAM? this HAF? Was this person's death an accident? No Did they have any relevant disability? No

Is anyone's occupation relevant? Yes.
hoodie

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Was he murdered? Did he commit suicide? Die of natural causes? Die in an accident? If another plane had crashed in the same place, would he have died? What about if the same plane had crashed in a different place?
Is his death in any way related to the monument to the others? Did he die while building it or something?
gregoryuconn

Postby hoodie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 pm

gregoryuconn:

Was he murdered? this Did he commit suicide? Die of natural causes? Die in an accident?

If another plane had crashed in the same place, would he have died? Highly dependent on factors other than place

What about if the same plane had crashed in a different place? No

Is his death in any way related to the monument to the others? Did he die while building it or something? Good lateral thinking, but no.
hoodie

Postby trebor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Was he blamed for the crash? Was he a mechanic? Air traffic controller? Someone who the murderer thought could have prevented the crash?
trebor

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:19 pm

So to clarify.... Did he die in the same time and place as the others (roughly speaking)? Or did they die at the same time/place as each other, but he died at a different time and/or place? Also, does 2000s refer to the decade (i.e. between 2000 and 2009) or just the century (i.e. sometime between 2000 and the present)?

Was the plane crash an accident? Was it shot down? Hijacked? Deliberately crashed? Was it a commercial flight? A charter flight? A private plane? A military flight? Was he the pilot? The hijacker? The person who shot it down?
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 pm

I think I know this one. PM sent.
GalFisk

Postby hoodie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:04 pm

trebor:

Was he blamed for the crash? By some. Was he a mechanic? Air traffic controller? this Someone who the murderer thought could have prevented the crash? Yes

This is enough to trigger a spoiler.

*******SPOILER (OPTION 1)***********

If you want to hear the story told, you can listen to this recent podcast:

https://casefilepodcast.com/case-106-pe ... en-part-1/

Or, if you don't have time for that......

******SPOILER (OPTION 2)*******

This is about the tragic mid-air collision of two airplanes over Uberlingen, Germany in July, 2002. It was a tragedy that claimed the lives of all 71 people on-board the two planes (45 of which were Russian schoolchildren on a trip to Spain). While the air traffic controller (ATC) did make some mistakes, he was clearly overwhelmed due to circumstances beyond his control. A Russian man, overwhelmed with grief from losing his wife and two children in the crash, tried to confront Skyguide (the ATC provider). When they refused to offer him an explanation or an apology, he tracked down the controller and stabbed him to death. Only later was a detailed report released showing that the collision was primarily caused by systemic issues within the company and not by any gross incompetency on the part of the controller.
Last edited by hoodie on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoodie

Postby trebor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm

I'm kind of sorry to have hit on it so early. Excellent concept for a puzzle. I'd never heard of the accident before; what a horrible situation for the controller, and everyone else.
trebor

Postby hoodie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

I agree it's a good concept, but the way I phrased the puzzle, I suspected it wouldn't take long to crack it. I gave too much information. Perhaps I could have approached it from a different angle. For example:

A man committed a murder and fully owned up to it. As a result, he was given a high-ranking government job and was awarded the highest medal of honor in his homeland. Explain.

That probably would have required more questions.
hoodie

Re: [hoodie] In Memoriam (SOLVED)

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:54 pm

I thought you worded the puzzle very well.
As WiZ said on one of my recent quick-solvees, there are ways of phrasing a question that are very good but are going to be solved quickly in a forum of veteran puzzle-solvers. This may just have been one of them.
Balin

Re: [hoodie] In Memoriam (SOLVED)

Postby hoodie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:49 am

Thanks, Balin.
hoodie

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles