[Balin] Doctor, doctor, give me the news

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Doctor, doctor, give me the news

Postby Balin » Wed May 22, 2019 5:21 pm

During a medical procedure, the patient tells his doctor that the procedure is going well. Although the procedure is in fact going well, the doctor immediately becomes very worried. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Doctor, doctor, give me the news

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Is the patient supposed to be under anasthesia? Or would that be too easy?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 am

Medical procedure = test? Control? Operation? Relevant?
Does the procedure cure a disease of the patient directly? Cosmetic surgery relevant?

Was the doctor worried about the procedure? Patient's reaction? Something else? Something related to the procedure? Was the procedure supposed to go well? About the fact that the patient was able to speak and react? Did the doctor spot something that he did not before thanks to the fact that the procedure was going well? Is it a long term (day to months) procedure?

Does the patient understand that the procedure was going well because he perceived a benefit in his health status with respect to before the procedure? Or maybe the patient is enough competent to understand it?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Is the patient supposed to be under anasthesia? The patient is under anesthesia - he says this just before completely passing out - but that's not the reason the doctor was worried Or would that be too easy?

Medical procedure = test? Control? Operation? This Relevant? Somewhat
Does the procedure cure a disease of the patient directly? Irrel, all you need to know is it required anesthesia Cosmetic surgery relevant? No

Was the doctor worried about the procedure? No Patient's reaction? Yope Something else? See previous Something related to the procedure? [bNoish[/b] Was the procedure supposed to go well? Yes About the fact that the patient was able to speak and react? No, see top answer Did the doctor spot something that he did not before thanks to the fact that the procedure was going well? No Is it a long term (day to months) procedure? No

Does the patient understand that the procedure was going well because he perceived a benefit in his health status with respect to before the procedure? No, see top answer Or maybe the patient is enough competent to understand it? Not at the moment, see top answer
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 am

Is the doctor worried about the procedure? The patient? The anaesthesia? Himself? Something else? Someone else? Someone not present during the procedure? Would he be worried if the patient said it was going badly? Said something not related to the procedure? Relevant who the patient is?
Last edited by GalFisk on Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri May 24, 2019 7:15 am

Had the doctor made this operation several times? Was it routinary? Relevant which body part was interested (may I invoke the list?)? Relevant how the patient told the doctor that the operation was going well? Speaking? With a gesture?

Was the worried doctor operating the relevant patient? Was someone else? Was the doctor worried soon after the patient told him about the procedure? Was the patient sure that the procedure was going well? Relevant how? Someone told him? He read the analysis? He was able to understand it by his/her own? Was an expert? Was the doctor worried about the fact that the patient understood that the procedure was going well? Did the doctor knew that the procedure was going well before the patient told him? If so was he worried about that? Was thr doctor operating on his own will? Was him forced to? Was him a conventional doctor? And the patient a conventional one? Relevant the disease? Did the patient risk his/her life? Is the patient a HAM? A child? Did the doctor want the patient to recover? Was him the only relevant person involved together with the patient? Someone else present when the patient told the sentence? And maybe the doctor did not want the someone else to know that the procedure was going well?

Peocedure to which the patient referred = procedure meant by the doctor? The operation? Tha anesthesia?

Did the procedure carry on as it was supposed to (regularly) after the patient passed out due to anesthesia? I am supposing that the operation started after the patient passed out, right? If so, however, i don't understand if the patient was referring to the procedure made on his own body (anesthesia?!) or to something else.
Last edited by Earnest on Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Fri May 24, 2019 7:19 am

Is the patient speaking in a different way thanbefore? In a different language? (I imagine the patient suddenly starting speaking Klingon under anaesthetic - THAT would certainly worry a doctor...)
LemonCurry

Postby Balin » Sun May 26, 2019 10:44 pm

Is the patient speaking in a different way than before? In a different language? Yes! (I imagine the patient suddenly starting speaking Klingon under anaesthetic - THAT would certainly worry a doctor...)

****SPOILER****

After the doctor administered anesthesia, the patient spoke a sentence in fluent Mandarin before passing out. the doctor, a Chinese man, thought the anethesia had somehow damaged the patient's brain, since the patient was a white teenager from a small town whom no one would expect at first glance to know Mandarin. (The patient was, in fact, fluent in Mandarin, and the anethesia had caused no damage.)

This went quiickly. Nicely done Gregory for the early leap and LemonCurry for the finisher.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Doctor, doctor, give me the news (绎)

Postby WiZ » Sun May 26, 2019 11:13 pm

I was going to congratulate you on a very pithy spoiler tag (I had read the title in a small font and thought you had found a unicode symbol for illegible scrawl because doctors), but looking at it in a larger font I see that it's a Mandarin character. Still good.
WiZ

Postby Balin » Sun May 26, 2019 11:15 pm

I don't think Google Translate has a setting for "illegible scrawl." Except maybe Welsh.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 am

Wooooow really?! Oh God...is that fictional? Hope so. Good one!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles