[Brian1976] Funny but true

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Brian1976] Funny but true

Postby Brian1976 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm

A buddy commented to his friend "Man, if I was rich I wouldn't be fat, that's for sure!"

(Let's call the speaker of the quote Jason and the buddy he said it to Todd)
Last edited by Brian1976 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian1976

Re: Funny but true [Brian1976]

Postby WiZ » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:42 am

Hi, Brian

Is Jason fat? Relevant? If so, is he on a quest to become thinner but there is some monetary obstacle?

Is he making an allusion to another person (who was perhaps rich and fat)? An event that happened?

Is anyone else involved?
WiZ

Postby Brian1976 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 am

WiZ: Hi, Brian hey, Wiz!

Is Jason fat? Relevant? yes to both If so, is he on a quest to become thinner but there is some monetary obstacle? not really

Is he making an allusion to another person (who was perhaps rich and fat)? i'm not sure what an allusion is, but there is no rich and fat people in this story An event that happened? no

Is anyone else involved? no one else in a direct way
Brian1976

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 am

If he was rich, would he be not fat because of: eating less? Moving more? Living healthier? Stressing less? Being rid of an unhealthy coping mechanism? Being unable to eat something specific? Being unable to eat as much of something specific? Being chased by someone? Being able to go somewhere? Would riches relevantly bring: freedom? Trouble? Lifestyle changes? Fame?
Edit: WAG from my own experience: does he own an old and/or cheap ebike, which is too heavy to use without electric assist, but which gives full assist as soon as he starts to pedal, giving him no opportunity for exercise? While if he was rich he'd buy a better one with several gears and assist levels?
Last edited by GalFisk on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 am

Did J reply to something said by Todd? Was Todd fat? Were they speaking about health? About fat? About gym? Did J comment it face to face? A
On social media? On the phone? Memes relevant? Did he comment after having seen someone rich? A famous person? A rich and fat person? A person that was fat?

Did Jason aim to be less fat? Is Jason poor? Rich in the sense of havong far more money than now? Being wealthy? Are money the main mean through which he could be not fat? Relevant how rich? Richer than now? Billionaire? Rich enough to afford something relevant? Did Jason eish to become rich? To have been born rich? To weight less? Did he want to weight less?

Does he mean that : had he got money, he would not have been fat never? That if he was rich and fat, he could have become less fat? If I was rich I would not have been considered fat (e.g. because people would have seen my money instead of my physical aspect)? If I was rich I would not have the same weight as I have now? I would have weighted less?
Earnest

Postby Brian1976 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm

If he was rich, would he be not fat because of: eating less? Moving more? this one Living healthier? Stressing less? Being rid of an unhealthy coping mechanism? Being unable to eat something specific? Being unable to eat as much of something specific? Being chased by someone? Being able to go somewhere? yesish Would riches relevantly bring: freedom? Trouble? yesish, in one minor sense I guess Lifestyle changes? yes Fame? irrelevant to rest
Edit: WAG from my own experience: does he own an old and/or cheap ebike, which is too heavy to use without electric assist, but which gives full assist as soon as he starts to pedal, giving him no opportunity for exercise? While if he was rich he'd buy a better one with several gears and assist levels? no to those
Brian1976

Postby Brian1976 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Did J reply to something said by Todd? possibly Was Todd fat? irrelevant Were they speaking about health? About fat? About gym? if you mean in context of an overall conversation they may have been having, no to those examples

Did J comment it face to face? this one On social media? On the phone? Memes relevant?
Did he comment after having seen someone rich? noish A famous person? A rich and fat person? A person that was fat?

Did Jason aim to be less fat? irrelevant Is Jason poor? yes Rich in the sense of havong far more money than now? Being wealthy? yes to both Are money the main mean through which he could be not fat? no, but it's the only relevant way in this puzzle Relevant how rich? somewhat Richer than now? yes Billionaire? Rich enough to afford something relevant? this one

Did Jason eish to become rich? To have been born rich? To weight less? Did he want to weight less? irrelevant to all

Does he mean that : had he got money, he would not have been fat never? That if he was rich and fat, he could have become less fat? this one
If I was rich I would not have been considered fat (e.g. because people would have seen my money instead of my physical aspect)? no If I was rich I would not have the same weight as I have now? yes I would have weighted less? yes
Brian1976

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:31 am

Relevant how he became fat? If he was rich, would he go to a gym? Go rock climbing? Engage in a sport? Extreme sport? Have to run away from someone? Or something? Would he exercise voluntarily? Out of necessity? Would he work to improve a certain skill? Such as strength? Speed? Agility? Defense? Fighting ability? Would he join a competition? Would doing the thing cost money? Require one to be rich?
GalFisk

Postby Brian1976 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:58 am

Relevant how he became fat? no
If he was rich, would he go to a gym? Go rock climbing? Engage in a sport? Extreme sport? Have to run away from someone? Or something? Would he exercise voluntarily? Out of necessity? this one Would he work to improve a certain skill? Such as strength? Speed? Agility? Defense? Fighting ability? Would he join a competition?

Would doing the thing cost money? Require one to be rich? yes to both
Brian1976

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:15 am

Would the exercise consist of: walking? Running? Lifting? Using a vehicle? Pulling? Throwing? Playing a sport? Climbing? Aerobics? Fighting?
Would the necessity arise if nobody knew he was rich? Would it arise if he became rich from robbing a bank? From winning a lottery? From the stock market? From working in a well paid position? From saving up money for a long time?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Is it a way of becoming less fat with the minimum effort? Is having more time relevant? Junk food relevant? Having someone preparing fresh meals? Inventing something relevantly? Buying a machinary? Pay a personal trainer? Making movies? Becoming an actor? Appear on newspapers? Image relevant? Fit in expensive clothes?

Would be less fat become a necessity if he was rich? Are operations relevant? Medical treatme ts? Would he lose fat all in once had he been rich? In months? Days? Through daily activity?
Earnest

Postby Brian1976 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am

Would the exercise consist of: walking? this one Running? Lifting? Using a vehicle? Pulling? Throwing? Playing a sport? Climbing? Aerobics? Fighting?
Would the necessity arise if nobody knew he was rich? yes Would it arise if he became rich from robbing a bank? From winning a lottery? From the stock market? From working in a well paid position? From saving up money for a long time? irrelevant to rest
Brian1976

Postby Brian1976 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:02 am

Is it a way of becoming less fat with the minimum effort? irrelevant

Is having more time relevant? Junk food relevant? Having someone preparing fresh meals? Inventing something relevantly? Buying a machinary? Pay a personal trainer? Making movies? Becoming an actor? Appear on newspapers? Image relevant? Fit in expensive clothes? no to all

Would be less fat become a necessity if he was rich? Are operations relevant? Medical treatme ts? no to all

Would he lose fat all in once had he been rich? no In months? this one Days? Through daily activity? yes
Brian1976

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Would he walk to where he would otherwise go by other means? Walk to where he would otherwise not go at all? Is his job relevant? Relevant why he gets less exercise when not rich?
GalFisk

Postby Brian1976 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 am

Would he walk to where he would otherwise go by other means? no Walk to where he would otherwise not go at all? yes Is his job relevant? no Relevant why he gets less exercise when not rich? only in the sense he doesn't get the particular exercise he would if he were rich
Brian1976

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 am

Would he walk to a business? A job? A home? A structure? A beach? A leisure activity? Up or down stairs? To a person? Is his statement serious? True? Do other rich people take the relevant walk?
GalFisk

Postby Brian1976 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:00 am

Would he walk to a business? A job? A home? A structure? A beach? A leisure activity? no to all

Up or down stairs? yes To a person? sometimes probably Is his statement serious? noish True? noish Do other rich people take the relevant walk? yes
Brian1976

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:10 pm

He would have a house with multiple stories? Thus requiring him to walk up and down stairs on a daily basis?
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Golf clubs relevant? Having the money for a membership? Doing business deals while golfing?

edit: didn’t see the thing about stairs, but I’ll leave these questions up just in case.
trebor

Postby Brian1976 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:55 pm

He would have a house with multiple stories? Thus requiring him to walk up and down stairs on a daily basis? yes to both
Brian1976

Postby Brian1976 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm

I think enough has been uncovered to call this:

There was a free open house tour of a mega-mansion for sale, two blue collar guys, Jason and Todd, for fun, walked the tour, the house was so huge, and to get from one part of the house to another required so much walking, that Jason, who was overweight, joked to Todd "If I was rich I wouldn't be fat, that's for sure!"
Brian1976

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles