[WiZ] ...---...

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] ...---...

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:12 am

Phteven is staring out the window. He sees dots and is not worried. He sees dashes and becomes worried. Why?

Autobiographical. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] ...---...

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:56 am

Is the window at ground level? Is it in a building? Vehicle? Aircraft? Are the dots small things? Things seen from a distance? Are the dashes the same kind of objects ar the dots? If so, are they dashes because they're closer? Moving faster? Seen from a different angle? Is he worried that something bad may happen? If so: death? Injury? Financial loss? Crash? Accident? Loss of job? Love? Friendship? Home? Freedom? Health? Time between seeing dots and dashes: seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Are the dots and dashes signals? If so, for him? For anyone? Is he staring because he's concentrating on seeing something? Is he operating a vehicle? Machine? War relevant? Military? Is the spelling of his name relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Lynne » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 am

Is somebody using a torch/flashlight to spell out something in Morse Code?
Lynne

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am

Window = of a building? Was he looking up? Down? In front? Bombs relevant? Was it night? Day? Relevant? Are dots and dashes very distant from him? Did they represent the shape of something distant?

Worried = he was worried for his life? Life of others? Being late for something? Do dots and dashes move? Appear suddenly? Relevant the number of dots he saw? The number of dashes? Can we assume that he regularly see dots (I mean with a regular rate)? Was he moving? Was him on a vehicle? Were dots moving? Do dashes appear instead of dots? With dots? Replacing the dots? After the dots? Between the dots? Did he need special tools for seing dots and dashes?

Space relevant?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 pm

GalFisk

Is the window at ground level? more or less Is it in a building? no Vehicle? yes Aircraft? no Are the dots small things? yes Things seen from a distance? no Are the dashes the same kind of objects ar the dots? yes If so, are they dashes because they're closer? no Moving faster? yesish Seen from a different angle? no Is he worried that something bad may happen? yes If so: death? Injury? Financial loss? Crash? Accident? Loss of job? Love? Friendship? no to these Home? no, small ish Freedom? no Health? no, small ish Time between seeing dots and dashes: seconds? Minutes? either of these, no to rest Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Are the dots and dashes signals? no If so, for him? For anyone? n/a to both Is he staring because he's concentrating on seeing something? yes Is he operating a vehicle? Machine? no to both War relevant? Military? no to both Is the spelling of his name relevant? no, it's a reference to this, which I get tagged in on Facebook once a month or so.

Lynne

Hi, Lynne. I could have sworn I saw a puzzle hosted by you a week or so ago, but then it immediately disappeared.

Is somebody using a torch/flashlight to spell out something in Morse Code? -. ---

Earnest

Window = of a building? Was he looking up? Down? In front? Bombs relevant? Was it night? Day? Relevant? Are dots and dashes very distant from him? Did they represent the shape of something distant?

Worried = he was worried for his life? Life of others? Being late for something? no to all Do dots and dashes move? no Appear suddenly? no for dots, yes for dashes Relevant the number of dots he saw? no The number of dashes? no Can we assume that he regularly see dots (I mean with a regular rate)? yesish Was he moving? yes Was him on a vehicle? yes Were dots moving? yope Do dashes appear instead of dots? yes, during one period of time With dots? He can see both dots and dashes at the same time, however Replacing the dots? sometimes, yes, but not relevantly After the dots? yes Between the dots? in terms of physical space, yes. In terms of time, yesish Did he need special tools for seing dots and dashes? no (other than the window, of course)

Space relevant? no
WiZ

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:10 am

Are the dots or dashes part of something regulating traffic/pedestrians? Are they on walk/don’t walk lights? Traffic lights? Construction zone signs? “Your Speed” signs? Is he worried that he’ll get in an accident? Be issued a ticket?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:31 am

Are the dots or dashes part of something regulating traffic/pedestrians? no Are they on walk/don’t walk lights? Traffic lights? Construction zone signs? “Your Speed” signs? no to these Is he worried that he’ll get in an accident? Be issued a ticket? no to these
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:36 am

DOH! I had a WAG that I liked a lot about him being a scientist looking through the glass of a microscope...that's why I asked for tools...

Vehicle = car? bus? train? metro? Airplane? Subway? Bycicle? Boat? Submarine? Others?
Were dots and dashes colored? Relevant the color (list of colors if I can)?

Do dots appear on a highway? On a street? Do dashes? If on a street: on the ground? On the sides? Is it common to see dashes? Is it common to see dots? If so on streets? Everywhere? In a city? On the sea? In desert? In forests? Everywhere in the major part of the world?
Had he not been in movement on the vehicle would he have seen dots and dashes? Would he have seen the small things as dots and dashes?
Are dots describable as: natural event? ( rain/intensity of rain? hail? Snow? pollen? something indicating power/speed of wind? Earthquake? Others?) Signals?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 pm

DOH! I had a WAG that I liked a lot about him being a scientist looking through the glass of a microscope...that's why I asked for tools... That's some good lateral thinkin'. In your proposed solution, what did the dots and dashes represent?

Vehicle = car? bus? train? metro? Any of these would work. I will say 'train', since this is a true story. Airplane? Subway? Bycicle? Boat? Submarine? Others? no to rest
Were dots and dashes colored? Relevant the color (list of colors if I can)?

Do dots appear on a highway? On a street? no to both Do dashes? no to both If on a street: on the ground? On the sides? not applicable to both Is it common to see dashes? Is it common to see dots? yes to both, in this context If so on streets? Everywhere? In a city? yes to all On the sea? In desert? In forests? no to all Everywhere in the major part of the world? not 'everywhere', no'/color]
Had he not been in movement on the vehicle would he have seen dots [color=#008000]yes
and dashes? no! Would he have seen the small things as dots yes and dashes? no
Are dots describable as: natural event? yes ( rain/intensity of rain? yes! hail? Snow? pollen? something indicating power/speed of wind? Earthquake? Others?) Signals? no to rest

Great questions.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:27 am

In your proposed solution, what did the dots and dashes represent? Well I would say cells and cancer cells after having put a reaction liquid or something like that...

So we need to figure out the reason why he became worried right? Was the train in movement when he first saw the dots? When he saw the dashes? Did the train speed up? Did the rain become more intense? Both? Relevant? Were tge dashes vertical (e.g. the train was falling)? Horizontal? Relevant? Was him able to see outside of the window (e.g. panorama or whatsoever)? Are bridges relevant? Rivers? Overflows? Tornados/natural catastrophies? Ice? Are dashes the old rain dots that was on the window which became dashes due to the train's speed? Also new rain coming?

Was he worried for something that might happen? If so, soon after he saw dashes? In minutes? Was he about to arrive to his destination? Relevant? Other trains relevant? Was he more worried for: change of train's speed? Change of rain's intensity? Both?
Earnest

Postby Lynne » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi, Lynne. I could have sworn I saw a puzzle hosted by you a week or so ago, but then it immediately disappeared.

Yes, you did. I used a phrase that I then wondered whether it had an alternative urban meaning which of course it did and it was not family friendly. And although I edited it to say that it was in fact a perfectly innocent puzzle I decided I didn't want to run the risk of it diverging into alternative thoughts. Shame, it was actually very funny. I may put it back up if I can think of a suitable alternative phrasing.
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 pm

Earnest

So we need to figure out the reason why he became worried right? That is part of the solution, the other being what the dots and dashes represented, which we've more or less nailed Was the train in movement when he first saw the dots? no When he saw the dashes? yes Did the train speed up? yes Did the rain become more intense? yes Both? yes Relevant? One for context, one for the logic Were tge dashes vertical (e.g. the train was falling)? no (that would be worrying!) Horizontal? yes Relevant? For context Was him able to see outside of the window (e.g. panorama or whatsoever)? yes, although not hugely relevantly Are bridges relevant? Rivers? Overflows? Tornados/natural catastrophies? Ice? no to all of these Are dashes the old rain dots that was on the window which became dashes due to the train's speed? No, the opposite Also new rain coming? But yes to this

Was he worried for something that might happen? yes If so, soon after he saw dashes? In minutes? yes to both Was he about to arrive to his destination? more or less Relevant? somewhat Other trains relevant? no Was he more worried for: change of train's speed? no Change of rain's intensity? yes Both? no

Lynne

Points noted. I hope to see the puzzle again. Even in its original state (I've posted a few suggestive puzzles in my time, some of which were PotY finalists...)
WiZ

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Were the dashes still rain, but just more intense? Was he worried the train was going to have to stop? Be re-routed? Be delayed? Was he rushing to save something that was going to be destroyed by the rain?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 am

Were the dashes still rain yes, but just more intense? The issue isn't really 'increased intensity' Was he worried the train was going to have to stop? Be re-routed? Be delayed? no to these Was he rushing to save something that was going to be destroyed by the rain? no, but much more ORT
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 am

Was he primarily worried about something weather-related? Worried about getting wet at his stop? Worried about something else getting wet? A pet, maybe?

Do the dashes indicate something beyond that it is raining and you are moving? Is wind speed/direction relevant? Is the quality of the rain somehow different (eg becoming sleet)? Are you concerned because of where the storm is geographically? Where it is moving?

Were you expecting to keep seeing dots? Expecting to see neither dots not dashes at a certain point?
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:30 am

Was he primarily worried about something weather-related? yes Worried about getting wet at his stop? yes (and to be fair, we could probably leave the puzzle there) Worried about something else getting wet? yes (my house currently has a leak) A pet, maybe? no

Do the dashes indicate something beyond that it is raining and you are moving? no Is wind speed/direction relevant? no Is the quality of the rain somehow different (eg becoming sleet)? no Are you concerned because of where the storm is geographically? yes Where it is moving? no

Were you expecting to keep seeing dots? I did not expect to see any new or additional dots Expecting to see neither dots not dashes at a certain point? I expected to continue seeing dots; I had hoped not to see dashes
WiZ

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Where it is geographically as in Wellington? New Zealand? Or another city? Country? Is the time of year relevant? Is there some relevant geographical feature?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Where it is geographically as in Wellington? New Zealand? Or another city? Country? none of this is relevant - the relevant geography is more a relative/generic place, rather than a nameable/unique place Is the time of year relevant? no Is there some relevant geographical feature? no (other than rainclouds)
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

Are the dots and dashes water droplets on a window? Generic geography: city? Mountains? Grassland? Desert? Flat terrain? Hilly terrain? A valley? Weather patterns for the area relevant?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Are the dots and dashes water droplets on a window? Yes, a train window Generic geography: city? yes Mountains? Grassland? Desert? Flat terrain? Hilly terrain? A valley? no to rest Weather patterns for the area relevant? Only that it rains all the bloody time

I think we're there, materially.

***** SPOILER *****

He is staring out the window of his train. While it is still at the station, it is not raining. The dots are droplets of rain from an earlier shower. When the train leaves the station, the rain picks up and hits the window of the train in motion, creating the dashes. Phteven is annoyed that he will get wet on the walk home from the station (and his ceiling leak will intensify).

Congratulations on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] ...---... [... --- .-.. ...- . -..]

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Cool!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles