A red-blooded American puzzle

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

A red-blooded American puzzle

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi! I'm not really new here. In my previous life, I was posting under the names of Solitaire, Solo1, etc. However, over the last few months, a lot has been going on with me. I changed my physical address, my e-mail provider, my e-mail address, my phone number (twice!), and my marital status (became a widow). I also was gifted with a new computer, which it took me 3 months to get over my hate of! Of course, I lost my old passwords, and if I said I couldn't remember them, the new one was sent to my old e-mail or phone, and I couldn't access them. Also, sometimes I just didn't feel like posting, or lacked the inspiration.
However, i'm back now, like the proverbial bad penny! So here goes!

I am not allowed to do this because of my size. Sizeism!
Many men could, but I cannot. Sexism!
They say it is a health matter. Abelism!
Oh well, I didn't want to anyhow.
klondike mary

Re: A red-blooded American puzzle

Postby irishelk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello Solitaire/Mary, good to see you! (I can't remember if you knew me in this life or my former, as Gourami.) I'm so sorry to hear of the marital status change. But allow me to welcome you back with some dumb questions!

Is this situation, in fact, an example of sizeism? or sexism? or ableism? Are you using these terms tongue-in-cheekily? Would this be, in fact, physically impossible for you to do? Can any human actually do it?

When you say "many men could"--do any men actually opt to do it? If a man can do it, is it because of his size? Because of his health status? Can some women do it?
irishelk

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:13 pm

I am being mostly tongue-in-cheek. Many men could do it, but not all do. Some women can, some cannot. There are valid health reasons for some of these restrictions. Oh, and the title is significant.

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think I had lost my touch!
klondike mary

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:30 am

PMing you possible earlispoilr.
gregoryuconn

Postby irishelk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am

Nah, it's a good puzzle statement! The LTPF is mysterious in which puzzles get attention at which times *glances significantly down at my puzzle languishing a the bottom of the forum* :lol:

Is it relevant who/what specifically is preventing you from doing this? Is a law relevant? Is there a regulating body? A group you need to join to do it? Is it a sport? Does it involve consuming something?

Would it be dangerous for certain people? People with worse health? Women specifically with health issues?
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Is it more seldom done by someone fat? Thin? Tall? Short? Heavy? Light? Young? Old? Giving blood relevant? A medical procedure?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Is it relevant who/what specifically is preventing you from doing this? Yes. Is it a law? As in Federal or State law? No. Is there a regulating body? Yessish A group you need to join? No. Is it a sport? NO! Does it involve consuming something? No.
Would it be dangerous for certain people?Risky, more than immediately dangerous. People with worse health? Women specifically? People with certain health issues would be at risk, male or female. The risk is perhaps slightly greater for females
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Giving blood relevant? Yes, Galfisk, you've got it!

*******************Spoiler**********************

In order to donate blood, I would have to be over 17 years old, and weigh at least 110 pounds. I qualify (these were the standards last time I checked.) But if red blood cells were required, I would have to be over 5'5" (I am) and weigh more than 150 pounds (I don't) If I were male, I would only have to be 5'2" and weigh 130. Reason is that women have less blood volume and need all they've got. Same with having low blood pressure.

As an avowed cowardy-custard when it comes to needles, I would be happy to be excluded.

Didn't last long, but at least I broke the ice!
klondike mary

Postby irishelk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Ahhh, good one.

Interesting that you can be excluded for having low blood pressure--mine's normally very low, but I've given lots of times and I don't think they've ever checked!
irishelk

Postby klondike mary » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Interesting you can be excluded for having low blood pressure. Mine's normally very low Maybe you have 'white coat syndrome,' and your blood pressure automatically goes up when you enter a doctor's office!
klondike mary

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles