[Balin] The recess backpack

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] The recess backpack

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 am

(True story, with some minor details altered to improve the puzzle statement.)

Today, I was assisting a preschool class. The teacher lined up the students and had them file out of the building for recess, and as we walked out the door, she asked me to grab a backpack hanging on a hook near the door. I took it and, assuming from its weight it held various outdoor toys, trailed behind the class, hanging it on the playground fence once the teacher and students were inside. The students played, the teacher kept an eye on them, but no one went near the backpack. When recess ended, as the teacher lined up the students, she asked me to bring the backpack back to the building, so I did. I hung the backpack back on its hook and, the students meeting me at the door, we all went inside.

So what was the point of the backpack?
Balin

Re: [Balin] The recess backpack

Postby WiZ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 am

Is the bag used regularly? Was this a one-off? If so, related to the purpose of your visit? Was the bag expected to be used, and then wasn't for whatever reason?

Was the idea ever to extract the contents of the bag, with a view to using (or looking at) them?

Did the backpack belong to a child? A staff member? Was it some kind of teaching resource? Was it related to first aid, safety, civil defense etc?

Were the contents of the bag somehow used without the bag needing to be opened (E.g. the bag contained a quantity of some foodstuff attractive to wildlife, and the wildlife came over the fence to be observed, or hovered around the bag instead of seeking out the children - Earnest, I think you're starting to rub off on me)?
WiZ

Postby Westing1992 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:37 pm

You assumed it held various outdoor toys, but it didn't?

"...hanging it on the playground fence once the teacher and students were inside." Did you mean outside?

Was it hung on the fence too high for any of the students to reach?
Westing1992

Postby trebor » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Was the weight due to the contents of the backpack? What it was made of? Something on the outside of it? Was it a bulletproof backpack? A backpack meant to symbolize someone? Something? Is the colour of the backpack relevant? Was it meant to make the edge of the play area more visible? Does it matter what the fence was made of? Was it a chain-link fence?
trebor

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:46 am

Is the bag used regularly? Yes Was this a one-off? No If so, related to the purpose of your visit? Was the bag expected to be used, and then wasn't for whatever reason? No

Was the idea ever to extract the contents of the bag, with a view to using (or looking at) them? No

Did the backpack belong to a child? A staff member? I presume this Was it some kind of teaching resource? No Was it related to first aid, safety, civil defense etc? Safety

Were the contents of the bag somehow used without the bag needing to be opened No (E.g. the bag contained a quantity of some foodstuff attractive to wildlife, and the wildlife came over the fence to be observed, or hovered around the bag instead of seeking out the children No Earnest, I think you're starting to rub off on me)? possibly...

You assumed it held various outdoor toys, but it didn't? Right

"...hanging it on the playground fence once the teacher and students were inside." Did you mean outside? I did mean "inside," but not "inside the building." The playground was fenced in

Was it hung on the fence too high for any of the students to reach? Yes

Was the weight due to the contents of the backpack? This What it was made of? Something on the outside of it? Was it a bulletproof backpack? NO A backpack meant to symbolize someone? No Something? No Is the colour of the backpack relevant? No Was it meant to make the edge of the play area more visible? No Does it matter what the fence was made of? It might help Was it a chain-link fence? Yes
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:01 am

Was the backpack meant to be seen from the outside of the fence (I mean specifically, not coincidentally)? Was it intended to be used by an adult? If we knew its contents, would we know its purpose? Was the backpack there 'just in case', intended to be used if a certain situation occurred? Or did it serve a purpose just by hanging there? Was it a camera?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 am

Would the backpack prove useful in the event of a natural disaster? If so, earthquake? Fire? Tornado/cyclone?

Would it prove useful in the event of an attack? If so, school shooting? Kidnapping? Terrorist?

Would it prove useful in the effect of poison or some other hazardous ambient condition?

Is it expected that something would happen to the bag in such an event? Would the bag or its contents be damaged? Marked in some way? Would the bag serve as an indicator that something injurious to the children was afoot-eth (similar to canaries in mines)?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 am

Did the children know what was in the backpack? Did they believe something was in the backpack - which wasn't? Was it there as a reassurance?
invisiblemimsy

Postby trebor » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Did the backpack actually serve the purpose it was brought out for that day? If yes, did it remain unopened? And if it didn't serve the purpose, would it have to be opened to do so? Is the weight of it the main thing? Could anything else that was heavy and could hang on the fence serve the purpose?
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 am

Would this work if the backpack was empty? Filled with rocks? With randomly chosen items? Is the backpack used as a reassurance that all children have arrived ad the destination? Because the person carrying it walks behind everyone?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Was the backpack meant to be seen from the outside of the fence (I mean specifically, not coincidentally)? It was easily visible, but its purpose wasn't related to its visibility Was it intended to be used by an adult? Yes If we knew its contents, would we know its purpose? No Was the backpack there 'just in case', intended to be used if a certain situation occurred? No Or did it serve a purpose just by hanging there? Yes Was it a camera? No

Would the backpack prove useful in the event of a natural disaster? No If so, earthquake? Fire? Tornado/cyclone?

Would it prove useful in the event of an attack? No If so, school shooting? Kidnapping? Terrorist?

Would it prove useful in the effect of poison or some other hazardous ambient condition? No

Is it expected that something would happen to the bag in such an event? No Would the bag or its contents be damaged? No Marked in some way? No Would the bag serve as an indicator that something injurious to the children was afoot-eth (similar to canaries in mines)? No

Did the children know what was in the backpack? No/Irrel Did they believe something was in the backpack - which wasn't? Irrel Was it there as a reassurance? No

Did the backpack actually serve the purpose it was brought out for that day? Yes If yes, did it remain unopened? Yes And if it didn't serve the purpose, would it have to be opened to do so? Is the weight of it the main thing? The weight helps Could anything else that was heavy and could hang on the fence serve the purpose? Yes

Would this work if the backpack was empty? Yes, most likely; but again, the weight helps. The backpack wasn't too heavy Filled with rocks? Yes With randomly chosen items? Yes Is the backpack used as a reassurance that all children have arrived ad the destination? No Because the person carrying it walks behind everyone? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:37 am

Is the backpack the last item on a list? So that if it gets remembered, they know the list has been completed? Is someone telling someone else to bring it relevant? Or can it fulfill its purpose just by being brought along? Would it work if the teacher brought it? If you had walked before the kids? If it was pu somewhere less visible? Does its absence from the hook near the door signify anything?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:43 am

Is the fence in danger of being dislodged during play?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 am

You say you assumed it held toys. Did you see inside the bag? If so, did you assume that what you saw was toys?

I think of outdoor toys as light - made of durable plastic. Not so?

Is the nature of the children's outdoor activity relevant? Were they swimming? Running around a field? In a sandbox? A playground? A playscape to climb in? A swing set? Is the environment relevant at all? The time of day? The material of the play area (cork, wood-chips, sand, brick, etc)?

Did the bag stop a gate from opening in some way, so that children could not escape the space?

Are these ordinary children, or special-needs in some way? Relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 pm

Was the chain link fence damaged in some way, so that there was a gap at the bottom? Was the backpack hung on the fence to weigh it down? Did this prevent the kids from escaping, or something else from escaping, such as a ball? Or prevent something from entering the playground?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:31 am

Did the bag stop a gate from opening in some way, so that children could not escape the space? That's it!

****SPOILER****

When I hung the backpack, I hung it so it looped over both the fence and the gate in the fence. In doing so, I accidentally put the backpack exactly where it was meant to go; as the gate's latch was broken, the backpack held the gate closed so the kids could not open it.

Well done!
Balin

Re: [Balin] The recess backpack (*ON THE FENCE*)

Postby Lynne » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 pm

I did exactly that at my brother's house when his grandchildren were visiting. I hung a heavy bag over the gate and fence post on the outside of the fence. It was a typical chain link fence and they couldn't climb it to lift the bag. Then I noticed a couple of the children on the other side of the fence, and the bag was still in place. I hadn't taken into account that there was a door at the back of the garage and they'd just walked through that and out of the front (which was wide open)!
Lynne

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles