[WiZ] School Daze #2

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] School Daze #2

Postby WiZ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:40 pm

At intermediate school (I was aged 11 at the time), I was called into the principal's office. He said something serious to me and I laughed inappropriately. He gave me a reproaching look, but then smiled and happily dismissed me from his office without further word. Explain.

True story. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] School Daze #2

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 am

Were you relevantly called in during class time, lunchtime, break time etc? Did he suspect you of something? Was he reprimanding you?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:44 am

When he dismissed you, did you understand his previous actions? When you were called, did you know why? Were you expecting a punishment? Were you expecting him to act as he did? Had you relevantly broken a rule? Or been accused of breaking a rule?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:10 pm

InvisibleMimsy

Were you relevantly called in during class time, lunchtime, break time etc? no Did he suspect you of something? noish Was he reprimanding you? other than laughing inappropriately, no

GalFisk

When he dismissed you, did you understand his previous actions? yes When you were called, did you know why? no Were you expecting a punishment? no Were you expecting him to act as he did? I didn't know what to expect when I was called in Had you relevantly broken a rule? no Or been accused of breaking a rule? yes!
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Did he summon you to his office so you could be seen to go to his office? Was it to satisfy or appease the person who accused you of breaking a rule? Did someone know you went to his office? Did they, or anyone, care?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Did he summon you to his office so you could be seen to go to his office? no Was it to satisfy or appease the person who accused you of breaking a rule? no Did someone know you went to his office? no Did they, or anyone, care? most likely not
WiZ

Postby Zanreo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Did what he said sound funny? Did he suddenly understand you didn't do it after all? Because you laughed? Was this a way to test you? Did he expect you to react differently if you had done it? Or in general?
Zanreo

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 am

Was there another student in the school with the same name as you m and they had broken the rule?

Was it a rule you were obviously incapable of breaking? (Say someone had spray painted something inappropriate on the building but both your hands were in casts so obviously you didn’t)?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:52 am

Did he act like this with other students also? Had you not laughed inallropriately, would he have understood something? That you broke the rules? That you already knew something? Did the director ask you if you broke the rule? If you knew who did? Did he read something? Is technology relevant? Music? Religion? Culture?

Have you been called in the middle of a lesson? Relevant? Did you laugh for what he said? For something else? For sometging you saw? For something you heard? Was there someone else in the office? Relevant? Did you expect the principal to say what he said? Did he smile at you as soon as you stop laughing (soon after?) ? While you were laughing? Relevant?

Breaking rules = copy? Falsify a signature? Making a joke to someone? Hide sonething? Offend someone? Spy someone? Damage something? Something funny? Answered in an inappropriate manner to a teacher? Animals relevant? alchol? Jokes to teachers? Changing the ring tone of someone's phone so that it sounded ridicolous? Change the flag of the school? Something that happened during a lesson? If so a specific lesson? In canteen? In the school garden? At the gym? Somewhere else in the school? Outside of the school? Made an inappropriate picture/caricature of someone?

Did someone in fact broke the rules? If so, did it result in something visible? In something that the principal showed you? In something that you saw before been called? Did you know that rules have been broken before going to the principal? Relevant? Hand writing relevant?

WAG--> he said something really serious for which a laugh would have been inappropriate. Someone however made him a joke (e.g. a caricature of him lr something else,l; you laugh while he was saying the serious thing and when he asked tou had no problem in explaining the reason why you laughed thus revealing your innocence?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Did what he said sound funny? Did he suddenly understand you didn't do it after all? Because you laughed? Was this a way to test you? Did he expect you to react differently if you had done it? Or in general?

***** SPOILER *****

I had been brought into the office because a student had 'done his business' on the floor of the boy's changing room. An eyewitness had told the principal that I was in the room at the time. When the principal told me what happened, I laughed in surprised amusement, thus demonstrating I had no idea what had come to pass. He let me go.

Well done, Zanreo, on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles