[klondike mary] What to name the baby

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] What to name the baby

Postby klondike mary » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:48 am

Nomen est omen.
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] What to name the baby

Postby Zanreo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:32 am

Title relevant? An actual baby involved? A human baby?
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:48 am

Plautus relevant? Relevant the meaning of the sentence? Is a name involved? Is the name actually an omen? In the sense that it clearly describe the owner of the name? A name of a HAM? HAM? HA?

I will ask if the title is relevant in another sense: does nomen est omen refer to the title (i.e. title is self explicative? Or something like that?) I mean...nomen = name of the puzzle? Chtistmas relevant? Religion?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 am

Title relevant? Yes An actual baby involved? Was a baby at one time, yes. A human baby? Yes.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:48 am

Plautus relevant? No Relevant the meaning of the sentence? Yes.Is a name involved? YesIs the name actually an omen? In the sense that it clearly describe the owner of the name? No to both, but it might seem like there was an omen or a description.A name of a HAM? HAM? HA? HAF

I will ask if the title is relevant in another sense: does nomen est omen refer to the title (i.e. title is self explicative? Or something like that?) I mean...nomen = name of the puzzle? No. Chtistmas relevant? Religion? No to both.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Relevant which is the name? May I invoke the list? Is the name written somewhere relevantly? Described? Is it the first name? Second name? Relevant? Does the name have another meaning? If so in english?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Relevant which is the name? YesMay I invoke the list? Is there a list of every possible girl's name? If I gave the name, the puzzle would be pretty much over. I will tell you, entertainment is involved.Is the name written somewhere relevantly?Written in many places, but probably n.r. Described? NoIs it the first name? Second name? Relevant? One first name, one middle name. Family name n.r. Does the name have another meaning? If so in english? No to both.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 am

Stage name relevant? Surname usually given to such name (e.g. Ned for Edward)? Is the sentence referred to every girl having such a name? To a specific girl? To a specific group of girls? Is the name's meaning in another language relevant? e.g. Dennis --> Dioniso = God of entertainment in ancient Rome? Or Felicity --> felicità = happiness?

Entertainment: music? Theater? Cinema? Amousement parks? Cartoons? Food? Restaurants? Sport? Tv? Tattoos? Sex? Entertainment in general? Lazyness? Cooking? Modern time entertainment? Past time entertainment? Timeless entertainment? A game? Bets? Others?

Nomen est omen usually means that the name has a meaning related to entertainment (in this case) and someone acted coherently with the meaning of the name right? But in the sentence of the puzzle omen is an english word so that the statement results in: there was an omen related to the name, right? Was the omen made in ancient times? Modern times? Is it written/stated somewhere? Did someone tell it relevantly? Did thegirl have parents? Did they relevantly give her the name? If so before she born (when she was still in the belly) ? After? Relevant? Was the name the same name of another relative/ ancestor? Did they know about the omen? Is the omen a (or part of a) rhyme? A myth? A legend? A song? ballad? Popular saying? A lullaby? A name of someone famous that made something relevant and hence gave the name a particular reference (e.g. if someone says Donald, the first thought is to Donald Trump; if someone says Virginia, to Virginia Woolf I guess...)? Others?
Is the name related to some physical attribute of the would be owner? Is it a modern name? A name already given to ancestors/ to people in ancient times? A modification of an ancient name? An english name? A french name? An italian/latin name? A spanish name? A german name? A biblical name? A christian name? A common name in England? US? Europe?

I will begin a list of names: charlotte? Alexandra? Korinne? Sarah? Francesca? Elizabeth? Joy? Felicity? Emma? Olivia? Isabella? Sophia ( = wiseness in greek)? Emily? Emilia? Ada? Ava? Grace? Aurora? Virginia? Others?

Is the mid name usually written as abbreviated (e.g. M.)? Relevant? Is the omen on the complete (first + mid) name?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 am

Stage names are relevant.[/b]Surname usually given to such name (e.g. Ned for Edward)?No nicknames involved. Is the sentence referred to every girl having such a name? To a specific girl? There were quite a few girls given naes like this, but this puzzle refers to only one.To a specific group of girls? No.Is the name's meaning in another language relevant? e.g. Dennis --> Dioniso = God of entertainment in ancient Rome? Or Felicity --> felicità = happiness?None of this is relevant.

Entertainment: music? Theater? Cinema? This, no to all others.Amousement parks? Cartoons? Food? Restaurants? Sport? Tv? Tattoos? Sex? Entertainment in general? Lazyness? Cooking? Modern time entertainment? Past time entertainment? The actresses were popular in the 50s and early 60s, so my friend feels her names really date her.Timeless entertainment? A game? Bets? Others? No to all.

Nomen est omen usually means that the name has a meaning related to entertainment (in this case) and someone acted coherently with the meaning of the name right? It might seem so. But in the sentence of the puzzle omen is an english word so that the statement results in: there was an omen related to the name, right? Yes there is a sort of double mmeaning - that because she was given certain names, it affected her future.Was the omen made in ancient times? Modern times? About 50 years ago. Is it written/stated somewhere? No.Did someone tell it relevantly? Yes, me!Did the girl have parents? Did they relevantly give her the name? Yes.If so before she born (when she was still in the belly) ? After? Relevant? IDK, and n.r.Was the name the same name of another relative/ ancestor?No to both. Did they know about the omen? Is the omen a (or part of a) rhyme? A myth? A legend? A song? ballad? Popular saying? A lullaby? No to allA name of someone famous that made something relevant and hence gave the name a particular reference (e.g. if someone says Donald, the first thought is to Donald Trump; if someone says Virginia, to Virginia Woolf I guess...)? Others?You mean, did they give her a name that later became famous/ infamous/ popular? No.
Is the name related to some physical attribute of the would be owner? It might seem so. Is it a modern name? Yes. A name already given to ancestors/ to people in ancient times? A modification of an ancient name? No to all. english name? YessishA french name? An italian/latin name? A spanish name? A german name? A biblical name? No to all.A christian name?Yes. A common name in England? I don't think so. US? Both names are fairly common in the US.Europe? The middle name is , or was native to a European country.

I will begin a list of names: charlotte? Alexandra? Korinne? Sarah? Francesca? Elizabeth? Joy? Felicity? Emma? Olivia? Isabella? Sophia ( = wiseness in greek)? Emily? Emilia? Ada? Ava? Grace? Aurora? Virginia? Others? None of these, though Ava and Grace are sort of in the right ball park.

Is the mid name usually written as abbreviated (e.g. M.)? Relevant?No and no. Is the omen on the complete (first + mid) name? It could be claimed that either name was an omen, but both of them together just make it stronger.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 am

A bit of a nudge: One of the names is Maureen.
klondike mary

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 am

Other name: Carol? Rita? Lucille?

Red hair relevant?
Hobbsicle

Postby klondike mary » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Other name: Carol? Rita? Lucille?

Red hair relevant? Yep, absolutely! None of the ladies you mention, though.
klondike mary

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:02 am

Is the second name also of an actress? Of a similar era? Or more recent? Kathy? Ann? Margaret? Reba? Bette? Rose? Katharine? Debbie? Julianne? Judy?
Hobbsicle

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 am

Is the second name also of an actress? Of a similar era? Yes to both, and also of a similar pigmentation.Or more recent? Kathy? Ann? Margaret? Reba? Bette? Rose? Katharine? Debbie? Julianne? Judy?..one of these.
Hobbsicle
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Ooops, that should be 'none of these.' Not me - it was my keyboard. Doesn't fit my fingers!
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 am

***********SPOILER**************
I am going to put this puzzle out of its misery, as I want to post another one. My friend's name is Rhonda (after Rhonda Fleming) Maureen (Maureen O'Hara). And that, say I, is why she is a redhead today. Henna has nothing to do with it!
klondike mary

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles