[WiZ] What if I Ride, What if you Walk?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] What if I Ride, What if you Walk?

Postby WiZ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:30 pm

In New Zealand, there is a feature of cars made before 1980 that you will not see on a car made after 1980. It is immediately obvious at first glance, yet most people wouldn't notice or give it a moment's thought. What is it?

True story, obviously. Puzzle can be solved without any particular knowledge of the country. No caveat. I think this is the third puzzle title this year to riff off that song.
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] What if I Ride, What if you Walk?

Postby trebor » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Is the feature on the exterior of the cars? Interior? Was it on all cars? Was it a safety feature? If so, for the occupants of that car? Other cars? Wildlife? Was it something related to another piece of technology that was also introduced or made standard around then? Was it phased out because of some new technology/equipment? Did a law change, prohibiting it? Would you have been as likely to see this feature on cars in cities vs. rural areas?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Added a missing word in the puzzle statement, but I don't think it had any bearing on the questions so far.

Is the feature on the exterior of the cars? yes Interior? no Was it on all cars? no Was it a safety feature? no If so, for the occupants of that car? Other cars? Wildlife? n/a to all Was it something related to another piece of technology that was also introduced or made standard around then? not really Was it phased out because of some new technology/equipment? no Did a law change, prohibiting it? yesish Would you have been as likely to see this feature on cars in cities vs. rural areas? yes, equally
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 am

Nice puzzle title ;)

Are number plates relevant? Lights? Would a particular make and model of car be more likely to have this feature?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Are number plates relevant? yes! Lights? no Would a particular make and model of car be more likely to have this feature? no
WiZ

Postby trebor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:53 am

Was a digit added? Removed? A slogan? Was a graphic element added? Removed? Changed? Was the shape of the plate changed? Or the size?
trebor

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 am

Are specific letters relevant? Is the font of the plate? The colour?

In ireland we used to have number plates that began with 3 letters and certain combinations were banned for obvious reasons, e.g RIP , KIL , IRA , is there something similar going on?

Is the manner in which the plate is attached to the car relevant?
peter365

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Is it relevant what is written on plates? The presence/absence of plates? The shape? Something that could be noticed at a first glance if someone know it? Positioning of the plate? Background?

Did something relevant hapoen in 1980s? Change in rules? Matricolation? Criminality relevant? Police cars? Enviromentally friendly cars? Change in mechanics of cars? Change in street rules?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:53 pm

Trebor

Was a digit added? Removed? No - this did happen in 2001, and people noticed :) A slogan? Was a graphic element added? Removed? Changed? Was the shape of the plate changed? Or the size? no to these

Peter

Are specific letters relevant? yes! Is the font of the plate? no The colour? no - this did happen in 1986, and people noticed :)

In ireland we used to have number plates that began with 3 letters and certain combinations were banned for obvious reasons, e.g RIP , KIL , IRA can't see why that one would be controversial... , is there something similar going on? no

An aside: this is our current style as well, and while we don't have ASS or BUM or FUK, the system does let through unfortunate combinations sometimes, like one I saw with FAP247, and the van used by my university chaplaincy, usually by the priest, that was ANY116.

Any1 16?

It was a white van, too. Ouch.

Is the manner in which the plate is attached to the car relevant? no

Earnest

Is it relevant what is written on plates? yes The presence/absence of plates? no The shape? no Something that could be noticed at a first glance if someone know it? yes Positioning of the plate? Background? no to both

Did something relevant hapoen in 1980s? yes, see next Change in rules? this Matricolation? Criminality relevant? Police cars? Enviromentally friendly cars? Change in mechanics of cars? Change in street rules? no to rest
WiZ

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:33 am

Vanity plates relevant? Vanity plate styles? Vanity (customized) plate numbers? Do you have either of those in New Zealand? Combinations of the two relevant? Perhaps something like the guy in Virginia who got a "Kids First" license plate then got vanity plate EAT THE so it said "EAT THE Kids First"?

I vs. 1 relevant? O vs. 0?
gregoryuconn

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 am

Are the letter NZ relevant?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:49 am

Peter

Are the letter NZ relevant? No

You might find this interesting: People who have lived in New Zealand for a long time become very adept at seeing the letter Z on a page. It absolutely leaps out at them and there's a slight endorphin rush at the implied flicker of recognition. People from Queenstown, New Zealand, also get the same effect with the letter Q.

GregoryUconn

Vanity plates relevant? Vanity plate styles? Vanity (customized) plate numbers? no to these Do you have either of those in New Zealand? yes - they tend to be the domain of company vehicles and the generally insufferable Combinations of the two relevant? Perhaps something like the guy in Virginia who got a "Kids First" license plate then got vanity plate EAT THE so it said "EAT THE Kids First"? no, but this is very funny

I vs. 1 relevant? O vs. 0? This is the underlying logic!

***** SPOILER *****

The letter V.

In 1980, regulations changed so numberplates no longer used the letter V, to avoid confusion with U. So, you'll see a car with the numberplate FV1234, but not GV1234.

Congratulations, GregoryUConn, on the solution, and thank you everyone else for playing!
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] What if I Ride, What if you Walk? [GOT OFF, BABY]

Postby trebor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:29 am

I mean, I’m humbled and honoured, but I think it’s fair to say my work solving this was rather negligible.
trebor

Re: [WiZ] What if I Ride, What if you Walk? [GOT OFF, BABY]

Postby WiZ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Oops! I'm not sure where my mind was when I was writing the valediction (although I did a bit of chopping and changing to insert my aside to Peter's questions first).

GregoryUConn has now been acknowledged as the rightful solver. My apologies to you, Gregory.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles