[Hobbsicle] Driver: Slow Cooking

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Driver: Slow Cooking

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm

Puzzle two of four in the “Driver” series on the subject of car travel. Other than theme, the puzzles are unrelated.

A woman is driving alone to the grocery store to do some shopping. When she arrives, however, she intentionally passes the store and circles the block before turning into the parking lot. She is not prevented from entering the lot the first time, is not listening to anything she wants to finish, nor does she see something or someone at the store she is trying to avoid, so why does she do this?
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Driver: Slow Cooking

Postby Alhucema » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:09 am

Is she waiting for the shop to open?

Does she have something cooking (baking, roasting) at home?
Alhucema

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 am

Is she waiting for the shop to open? No

Does she have something cooking (baking, roasting) at home? No
Hobbsicle

Postby klondike mary » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:16 am

Does she not want to make a right, or left, turn, for a relevant reason?
Does she do this in order to park closer to the department she wants? Does she always park in the same area, so she will not forget where her car is?
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 am

Does she do this in order to: arrive later? See something? Be seen? Heard? Pretend to do something? Does she pass by a relevant place by doing this? Does she want the odometer to stop at a certain number? I almost had to do this to photograph my work van odometer at 012345.
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 am

Has her car any relevant defect?
peter365

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:01 am

klondike mary

Does she not want to make a right, or left, turn, for a relevant reason? YES, assume left
Does she do this in order to park closer to the department she wants? No Does she always park in the same area, so she will not forget where her car is? No

Galfisk

Does she do this in order to: arrive later? See something? Be seen? Heard? No to these Pretend to do something? No-ish Does she pass by a relevant place by doing this? No Does she want the odometer to stop at a certain number? No I almost had to do this to photograph my work van odometer at 012345.

peter365

Has her car any relevant defect? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Reason for avoiding left turn: broken blinker? Problem with the steering system? Wheels? Suspension? Tank? Would someething relevantly slosh to the right during a left turn? Roll to the right? Tip? Slip? Lean? Fall? Detach? Was there a cop, and she didn't want them to see that there was a problem with the car? Does she intend to fix the problem? Relevant? Is it fixable? Relevant?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:25 pm

We once had a pickup truck with a broken spring on the passenger side. (I was pregnant at the time, but I was not as heavy as all that!) It would go down the road cattawampus.
Maybe a bit off topic, but I just wanted to use the word 'cattawampus.'
Are broken springs relevant, BTW?
klondike mary

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 pm

Is the car unable to make a left turn at all?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am

To be sure: was she driving a car? Was she able to turn left? Did she need to "cross the road" (i.e. there was another roafway she had to cross) in order to turn left? Any physical handicap? Had she turn left before?

Did she want to avoid to turn left for a certain number of times? Was she a European drivin in London xD? Street rules relevant? Is she the only one not turning left? She circled the block right? So she turned, correct? Did she turn always right? Did she make a clockwise turn? Had the turn she was forced to make in order to circle the block been counterclockwise (i.e. turning left n times) would the puzzle still work? If so after a certain amounts of turning left?

Was it snowy? Rainy? Sunny? Windy?
Had the car defects on: steering wheel? Horn? Arrow? An electronical part? A mechanical part? Wheels?
Defect = something not working? Something working unexpectedly? Something start/stop unexpectedly? Seat belts? Air conditioning? Something working but not the way it should? Something broken (e.g. broken glasses/windows)? Had she turn left would she have risked: to die? To make an accident? To break the car? To break the engines of the car?

Was the left the part of the driver? Of the passenger? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 am

Good questions asked by all, but I'll cut to the chase.

Galfisk

Reason for avoiding left turn: broken blinker? Yes
Was there a cop, and she didn't want them to see that there was a problem with the car? Yes

**********SPOILER***********

She had a broken turn signal, and as she approached the store, noticed a police officer driving directly behind her. So she passed the store and turned the opposite direction to circle around and make another pass at it.

This isn't really about a woman at all, but actually what I did a few weeks ago.
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles