[klondike mary] That's my genius!

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] That's my genius!

Postby klondike mary » Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 pm

My son came up with a brilliant idea for dealing with two of the problems related to the spread of CoVid-19.
Well, the use of 'brilliant idea' is rather ironic here, as this idea has zero possibility of being implemented. But it is beautifully simple. It would involve taking technology that already exists, and applying it to humans.
As he explained it, i can see where there would be drawbacks, especially to one particular segment of society.
What is the technology, and who would be adversely affected?
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] That's my genius!

Postby Doriana » Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 pm

Is the technology currently applied to inanimate objects? to animals? If the latter, pets? livestock? wild animals?

GPS tracking relevant?

Are the people who would be adversely affected defined by their age? gender? race? nationality? job? education?
Doriana

Postby emeraldink » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 pm

WAG: The two problems related to many upper-respiratory viruses are that they spread at close contact, and that to control the epidemic continuous symptom monitoring is required. Both are solved with space suites... for everyone... in public. This, however, would make breastfeeding difficult.
emeraldink

Postby klondike mary » Fri May 29, 2020 11:06 pm

Is the technology currently applied to inanimate objects? to animals? YesIf the latter, pets? Yes.livestock? wild animals?

GPS tracking relevant? No.

Are the people who would be adversely affected defined by their age? gender? race? nationality? job? education? No to all.
Doriana
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm

WAG: The two problems related to many upper-respiratory viruses are that they spread at close contact, and that to control the epidemic continuous symptom monitoring is required. Both are solved with space suites... for everyone... in public. Nothing that drastic. This, however, would make breastfeeding difficult. n.r.
emeraldink
klondike mary

Postby hominid » Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Are people with disabilities adversely affected?

Technology for animals: leashes relevant? Microchip implants? Pet food? Cages? Kennels?
hominid

Postby klondike mary » Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Are people with disabilities adversely affected? Yessish. Explore.

Technology for animals: leashes relevant? Microchip implants? Pet food? Cages? Kennels? No to all.
hominid
klondike mary

Postby hominid » Sat May 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Disabilities: mental disabilities? Physical? Blindness? Colorblindness? Deafness? Anosmia? People in wheelchairs? Amputees? People with a certain medical condition that isn't exactly a disability?
hominid

Postby Earnest » Sun May 31, 2020 10:25 am

related to the spread of CoVid-19 --> so it is directly related to: detecting asymptomatic people? Tracking people with Covid-19? Prevent gatherings? Prevent direct contact? Prevent drools? Spittle? Signaling infected people? Signaling high temperature?
Is it related to specific places? Public places? Airports?

to animals? Yes --> dogs? birds? Cats? Others?

Would the solution allow people to meet? Have a normal life?

this idea has zero possibility of being implemented --> cameras? Privacy issues?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Disabilities: mental disabilities? Physical? Blindness? Colorblindness? Deafness? This, no to the rest. Anosmia? People in wheelchairs? Amputees? People with a certain medical condition that isn't exactly a disability?
hominid
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sun May 31, 2020 5:22 pm

related to the spread of CoVid-19 --> so it is directly related to: detecting asymptomatic people? Tracking people with Covid-19? Prevent gatherings? No to these. Prevent direct contact? Yes. Prevent drools? Spittle? Signaling infected people? Signaling high temperature? Also these, to a lesser degree.
Is it related to specific places? No. Public places? Airports?

to animals? Yes --> dogs? birds? Cats? Others? dogs & cats, probably mainly dogs.

Would the solution allow people to meet? This, at least.Have a normal life?

this idea has zero possibility of being implemented --> cameras? Privacy issues? Probably because the idea is sort of silly - or would make people look silly.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby hominid » Sun May 31, 2020 5:26 pm

So the idea would allow people to meet, but it wouldn't work for deaf people? Is sign language relevant? Lip reading? Masks?
hominid

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

So the idea would allow people to meet, but it wouldn't work for deaf people? Yes. Is sign language relevant? Lip reading? Masks? All of these.

Note: this puzzle is not unrelated to my other puzzle now running.
hominid
klondike mary

Postby hominid » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Dictionaries relevant? The Bible?

Does he have a solution to the problem of people being hard to hear because they're wearing masks?

Would deaf people be able to meet with hearing people if this was implemented? Would deaf people actually be worse off than they are now?
hominid

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Dictionaries relevant?No. The Bible? Possibly, so yopish.

Does he have a solution to the problem of people being hard to hear because they're wearing masks?
Wearing masks does not affect a person's hearing.
Would deaf people be able to meet with hearing people if this was implemented? They could meet;
that's not the problem.
Would deaf people actually be worse off than they are now? Either worse or just as bad as at present.
hominid
klondike mary

Postby hominid » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:00 pm

I meant that it can be harder to hear someone if they're talking through a mask. Is this relevant?

Would the idea allow people to communicate with each other more easily at long distances? Would it involve people standing close to each other, but not as close as they would normally? Would it involve people connecting virtually?
hominid

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 am

Is something like ultrasounds relevant here? I know dogs are able to capture them. If so, are they relevant because they are the only noise captured by deaf people? Or maybe because they disturb another signal? Or on the contrary, they are not heard by deaf people? Increasing noise relevant? whistles? funnels for dogs?

Would it be a problem being gathered on a train? On a public mean? Does the technology prevent direct contact among people in general? Or maybe just between healthy person and person with Covid? Does something happen when there is a direct contact? When two (or more) people are too close to each other?

Does the technology prevent contact among animals (dogs) too? Or is it implemented for other reasons? Is it employed on digs with relevant conditions? Aggressive dogs? Any type of dog?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 pm

I meant that it can be harder to hear someone if they're talking through a mask. Is this relevant? No.

Would the idea allow people to communicate with each other more easily at long distances? I think it would make this more difficult. Would it involve people standing close to each other, but not as close as they would normally? Don't think it would make much difference. I mean, people could still get within 6 feet of each other. Would it involve people connecting virtually? Yes, if they used this technology while communicating virtually - not if they didn't.
hominid
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:01 pm

Is something like ultrasounds relevant here? I know dogs are able to capture them. If so, are they relevant because they are the only noise captured by deaf people? Or maybe because they disturb another signal? Or on the contrary, they are not heard by deaf people? Increasing noise relevant? whistles?All n.r. funnels for dogs? Define 'funnels for dogs,' please.

Would it be a problem being gathered on a train? On a public mean? n.r. to both Does the technology prevent direct contact among people in general? Or maybe just between healthy person and person with Covid? Does something happen when there is a direct contact? When two (or more) people are too close to each other? It would not prevent all contact, but would probably slow down contagion.

Does the technology prevent contact among animals (dogs) too? Or is it implemented for other reasons? other reasons.Is it employed on digs with relevant conditions? Yes.Aggressive dogs? No.Any type of dog? DOYD 'type.' All breeds & sizes, yes, under certain conditions.
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:55 am

Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Define 'funnels for dogs,' please...well the one attached Yes, funnels or Elizabethan collars, or the 'cone of shame.' How would this affect deaf people?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+fun ... aIfvXoXnLM:
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 am

It maybe prevents them to see labial? Or it disturbs ear sensors (maybe with an echo)? Does it disturb them when walking on street? When tal,ig with other people? When talking with other deaf people? Or maybe it prevents them to make some of the gesture language involving mouth/head in general?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:34 pm

t maybe prevents them to see labial? Or it disturbs ear sensors (maybe with an echo)? Does it disturb them when walking on street? When tal,ig with other people? When talking with other deaf people? Or maybe it prevents them to make some of the gesture language involving mouth/head in general?
Earnest

****************SPOILER******************
Many deaf people depend on lip-reading when dealing with 'civilians' (hearing people). Masks make this impossible. Many deaf people, and hearing people as well, when using ASL, really put their heart, soul, and facial expressions into it. Masks also make this difficult.
See-through plastic cones would somewhat modify these problems. But even see-through protection would keep the wearer from touching his/her face (which spreads the contagion). And a lot of signs in ASL involve touching the head and/or face - for example the signs for 'mother,' 'father,' 'grandmother,' etc.

Places fingers to chin, moves hand out. That's ASL for 'Thank You for taking part.'
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:02 am

Places fingers to chin, moves hand out. That's ASL for 'Thank You for taking part.'--> https://www.handspeak.com/word/search/index.php?id=2186
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles