[Doriana] I hope this puzzle finds you well

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] I hope this puzzle finds you well

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Why did Irina (H/A/F) think that Jacob (H/A/M) didn't like her?
Last edited by Doriana on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] I hope this puzzle finds you well

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Did Jacob like her? If so, as a friend? Professionally? Romantically? Did he look up to her? Did any other person cause her to think so? Did Jacob know she thought this? Did he want her to? Did he care? Relevant what she thought of him?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Did Jacob like her? Yes, or he felt neutral towards her If so, as a friend? Professionally? This Romantically? Did he look up to her? Irrel Did any other person cause her to think so? No Did Jacob know she thought this? No Did he want her to? No Did he care? Irrel Relevant what she thought of him? No, assume she felt neutral towards him
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Did she get the impression from something he said? Did? Wrote? Didn't say? Do? Write? Are they colleagues? Does she think he dislikes her on a personal level? Professional? Irrational? Political? Religious? Is her name relevant? Is his?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Did she get the impression from something he said? Did? Wrote? This Didn't say? Do? Write? Are they colleagues? Yes Does she think he dislikes her on a personal level? This Professional? Irrational? Political? Religious? Is her name relevant? Yes Is his? No
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Did he write her name? Misspell it? Forget it? Leave it out? Did he write to her? To a group? To anyone?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Did he write her name? Misspell it? Forget it? Leave it out? No to all of these Did he write to her? This To a group? To anyone?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Did he make a mistake? Was the writing changed, cropped or otherwise mangled? Did she misunderstand something? Could anyone reasonably make the assumption? Did he email? SMS? Write a letter? Relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Did he make a mistake? No Was the writing changed, cropped or otherwise mangled? No Did she misunderstand something? Yes Could anyone reasonably make the assumption? No Did he email? This SMS? Write a letter? Relevant? Somewhat
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Could anyone named Irina make the mistake? Relevant why he emailed her? What the email was about? Is their profession relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Could anyone named Irina make the mistake? Yes, but also other people Relevant why he emailed her? Yesish What the email was about? Yope Is their profession relevant? Only insofar as people commonly e-mail each other - assume some kind of office job
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Other people with certain names? Other women? Does she gets the impression that he: looks down on her? Wants to annoy her? Ignores her? Want to sabotage her? Likes someone else a lot more? Mistakes her for someone else?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Other people with certain names? Yes Other women? People of all genders with certain names Does she gets the impression that he: looks down on her? Possibly Wants to annoy her? Possibly Ignores her? Want to sabotage her? Likes someone else a lot more? Mistakes her for someone else? No to rest
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:22 pm

People with names beginning with I? Names that can be spelled different ways? Does he call her Irene? Spell her name differently than "Irina"? does he write her name at all?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:26 pm

People with names beginning with I? Yes Names that can be spelled different ways? Does he call her Irene? Spell her name differently than "Irina"? does he write her name at all? No to all
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:30 pm

Did she misunderstand something he wrote? A certain word? The word "I"? Did she think he didn't want to write her name? Or didn't know how to?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Did she misunderstand something he wrote? Yes A certain word? DOYD of "word" The word No "I"? Yes Did she think he didn't want to write her name? Or didn't know how to? No to rest
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:15 am

The letter "I"? The roman numeral "I"? A tally mark? The pipe symbol |? The non-capital L? The letter I as part fo a word? Did she think he wrote I instead of writing her name?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:12 am

Are eyes involved? Irina reminds me iris for some reason. Or irony...
Is "I" followed by a space in the email? as "I" pronoun? Is I written capital? Lower case? Relevant? Is it maybe put in a list of names? If so, maybe is it lower case while other names were upper case? Is it put in a list in alphabetical order?

Did she misunderstand something he wrote? Yes --> greetings? beginning of the email? The end? Everywhere in the mail? automatic correction relevant? Did Jacob relevantly mentioned her name? Or maybe just wrote down her initial as in "I." ? Did they both speak the same language? Is any keyboard issue involved here? Recipient address relevant? Are mail addresses relevant? Is Irina last name relevant? Censorship relevant? Omissions? Was the mail send only to Irina? Relevant?

If I simply write down Irina, do I reproduce the same misunderstanding?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 am

The letter "I"? Yes The roman numeral "I"? A tally mark? The pipe symbol |? The non-capital L? No to these The letter I as part fo a word? Again, DOYD of "word" Did she think he wrote I instead of writing her name? Yesish

Are eyes involved? Irina reminds me iris for some reason. Or irony... No to all
Is "I" followed by a space in the email? No, but beware of FA as "I" pronoun? No Is I written capital? This Lower case? Relevant? Somewhat Is it maybe put in a list of names? If so, maybe is it lower case while other names were upper case? Is it put in a list in alphabetical order? No to all

Did she misunderstand something he wrote? Yes --> greetings? beginning of the email? The end? Everywhere in the mail? The whole e-mail, but beware of FA automatic correction relevant? No Did Jacob relevantly mentioned her name? No Or maybe just wrote down her initial as in "I." ? No Did they both speak the same language? Yes Is any keyboard issue involved here? Recipient address relevant? Are mail addresses relevant? Is Irina last name relevant? Censorship relevant? Omissions? No to all of these Was the mail send only to Irina? Yes Relevant? Not really

If I simply write down Irina, do I reproduce the same misunderstanding? No
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:28 am

Is "I" followed by a space in the email? No, but beware of FA --> is the name "Irina" mentioned? Is I part of a symbol? of an acronym? (e.g. as ID, IT or something like that?) An abbreviation? The name of the company?

The whole e-mail, but beware of FA --> maybe only in relevant parts? Is it bold? italic? Or maybe automatic red highlight as signaling a "mistake" relevant?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:28 am

Is "I" followed by a space in the email? No, but beware of FA --> is the name "Irina" mentioned? No Is I part of a symbol? No of an acronym? YES (e.g. as ID, IT or something like that? But not these) An abbreviation? The name of the company? No to rest

The whole e-mail, but beware of FA --> maybe only in relevant parts? Is it bold? italic? Or maybe automatic red highlight as signaling a "mistake" relevant? No, that's not the FA
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 am

Is the I followed by a dot? Comma? Other symbol? The next letter in an acronym? Does the acronym have one letter? Two? Three? More? Is the I the first letter in the acronym? Can anyone whose name starts with I have this misunderstanding? Relevant why he's using an acronym? Is it a well-known acronym? Is it one use anywhere? In a certain field? In this company? Relevant what it stands for?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 am

Is the I followed by a dot? Comma? Other symbol? The next letter in an acronym? No to all Does the acronym have one letter? Two? Three? This More? Is the I the first letter in the acronym? No Can anyone whose name starts with I have this misunderstanding? Yes Relevant why he's using an acronym? No Is it a well-known acronym? Yes, but... Is it one use anywhere? In a certain field? It's common in a lot of fields In this company? It's not a company-specific acronym Relevant what it stands for? Yesish
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Is the I the second letter? Third? Is the acronym written with all capital letters? does the acronym refer to a person? Group? Object? Company? Technology?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Is the I the second letter? Third? This Is the acronym written with all capital letters? Yes does the acronym refer to a person? Group? Object? Company? Technology? Part of it refers to a person, but the overall acronym doesn't really fall into any of these categories
Doriana

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:06 am

To be sure...English acronyms right?

Is the acronym slang (e.g. artificially abbreviated words by slang? Like til for talk to you later)? A wording commonly used in emails (e.g. FYI, IDI)? The truncation of a longer word (e.g. UNI rather than University)? Or maybe the truncation of a word, as in TAI? The name of an airport/country? Or something like in WWI?
Did he use the acronym: at the beginning of sentences? At the end? Not in sentences? As footnote? To specify something unclear?

didn't like her--> she thought that he offended her? That he treated her with distrust? With fear? Suspicion? as she made something wrong? As he discriminated her? as she treated her as a stupid person? Someone who is not quick to understand and learn things?

A specialized word like: API? Maybe the code when you want to highlight something (as in <b>bold</b>)?As spacing? Italic? others?

Is it a well-known acronym? Yes, but... --> did he use it appropriately? Did he know its meaning? has it been used as it is commonly used? Did he use it after periods? After commas? After a relevant word that made it sound offensive? In the middle of the sentences? Was it easy to understand that it referred to that acronym from the context of the sentence? Is it abbreviated automatically?

Is the fact that the I is the third letter relevant? Had it been the first would she be offended too? Does it maybe refer to Irina but in third person? Is formal language relevant? Does the acronym actually end in I? Or maybe he made something wrong (e.g. AFAI instead of AFAIK)?

Part of it refers to a person--> to the one using it? to a third party? to the person to which the email is written? Is it maybe something automatically appearing? Like "Top Secret" on the the pages...
Does the last I stand for something relevant? Did Irina know the acronym? Is it maybe the contrary (i.e. he meant Irina with the last I while she read the noun implied by the acronym?)?
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:20 am

To be sure...English acronyms right? Yes

Is the acronym slang (e.g. artificially abbreviated words by slang? Like til for talk to you later)? No A wording commonly used in emails (e.g. FYI, IDI)? YES, the relevant acronym is FYI The truncation of a longer word (e.g. UNI rather than University)? Or maybe the truncation of a word, as in TAI? The name of an airport/country? Or something like in WWI? No to rest
Did he use the acronym: at the beginning of sentences? At the end? Not in sentences? This As footnote? To specify something unclear?

didn't like her--> she thought that he offended her? Yes That he treated her with distrust? With fear? Suspicion? as she made something wrong? As he discriminated her? as she treated her as a stupid person? Someone who is not quick to understand and learn things? No or irrel to rest

A specialized word like: API? Maybe the code when you want to highlight something (as in <b>bold</b>)?As spacing? Italic? others? No to all

Is it a well-known acronym? Yes, but... --> did he use it appropriately? Did he know its meaning? has it been used as it is commonly used? Yes to all Did he use it after periods? After commas? After a relevant word that made it sound offensive? In the middle of the sentences? No and FA Was it easy to understand that it referred to that acronym from the context of the sentence? FA Is it abbreviated automatically? No

Is the fact that the I is the third letter relevant? Somewhat Had it been the first would she be offended too? In this particular case, maybe, but then it wouldn't have been a well-known acronym Does it maybe refer to Irina but in third person? Is formal language relevant? No to these Does the acronym actually end in I? Yes Or maybe he made something wrong (e.g. AFAI instead of AFAIK)?

Part of it refers to a person--> to the one using it? to a third party? to the person to which the email is written? This Is it maybe something automatically appearing? Like "Top Secret" on the the pages... No
Does the last I stand for something relevant? Yes Did Irina know the acronym? NO Is it maybe the contrary (i.e. he meant Irina with the last I while she read the noun implied by the acronym?)? No, the other way round. She thought the I stood for Irina

Well done! We've established that the relevant acronym is FYI, that Irina didn't know the acronym and that she thought the I stood for Irina. So what did she think the acronym stood for?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 am

F*ck You Irina? Something else rude?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am

F*ck You Irina? YES Something else rude?

********SPOILER********

Irina is an intern at an office and not yet familiar with some abbreviations and acronyms. When her supervisor forwards her an e-mail and adds "FYI", she thinks it stands for "F*ck you Irina" and concludes that he doesn't like her.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] I hope this puzzle finds you well [SENT]

Postby Earnest » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:51 am

HAHHAHAHAHAH I mean it's kind of funny.

Btw, Doriana I feel you on conferencing online. I work in academia too and the problem with microphones and people having lags is horrible. Still we all use gmeet
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles