[Enjay] Bobbins

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Enjay] Bobbins

Postby Enjay » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:41 pm

A Youtube channel that I enjoy uploads a new video every evening, and I've got into the habit of watching the new video each night before bed.

One night, the video was 20 minutes long, and I knew that I'd be late to bed that night.

The next night, the video uploaded was over an hour long, and I knew I'd get to bed on time that night.

What's going on?
Last edited by Enjay on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Bobbins

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:33 am

Is the topic of the channel relevant? The topic of the first video? The topic of the second video?

Are you actually watching each video the night it's released? Are you watching the entire video?

Are the two videos released at the same time each night?
hominid

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 am

Do you go to bed at the same time each night? Watch them at the same time? Do you relevantly fall asleep to any of them? Do you set the playback speed on them differently?
Hobbsicle

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am

Hominid
Is the topic of the channel relevant? Yes The topic of the first video? The topic of the second video? Yes to both

Are you actually watching each video the night it's released? Yes Are you watching the entire video? Yes

Are the two videos released at the same time each night? Yes

Hobbsicle
Do you go to bed at the same time each night? No Watch them at the same time? No Do you relevantly fall asleep to any of them? No Do you set the playback speed on them differently? No
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:19 am

Did you do anything relevant after watching the first video? If so, additional research on the topic? Did the video recommend any additional content?

Is the topic of the channel politics? current events? sports? music? games? cooking? literature? comedy? true crime? science?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:45 am

Doriana
Did you do anything relevant after watching the first video? No If so, additional research on the topic? Did the video recommend any additional content? Yope

Is the topic of the channel politics? current events? sports? music? games? This is closest cooking? literature? comedy? true crime? science?
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am

Video games relevant? Board games? Mobile games? Card games? Chess?

Did watching the first video take you 20 minutes? More than that? Did you relevantly pause the video?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Doriana
Video games relevant? Board games? Mobile games? Card games? Chess? No to all - board games is probably closest

Did watching the first video take you 20 minutes? Yes More than that? No Did you relevantly pause the video? No
Enjay

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Did the second video take an hour? More than that? Did you relevantly pause that video? Did you skip over any sections?

Did the first video recommend additional content? Did the second video?

Games: pencil and paper games? Dice games?
hominid

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Did you know what video 1 would be about before watching it? video 2?

Did you realize that you'd be late to bed before watching video #1? while watching it? after watching it? Same questions for going to bed on time and video 2.

Did you do anything relevant before watching video #1?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Hominid
Did the second video take an hour? More than that? Could be either - assume about an hour Did you relevantly pause that video? No Did you skip over any sections? No

Did the first video recommend additional content? Did the second video? I'm going to say yes to both (and revise my previous yope)

Games: pencil and paper games? This Dice games?

Doriana
Did you know what video 1 would be about before watching it? video 2? Yes to both

Did you realize that you'd be late to bed before watching video #1? This while watching it? after watching it? Same questions for going to bed on time and video 2. Same answer
Did you do anything relevant before watching video #1? Yes
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Were both videos about the same game? Does the channel talk about the game(s)? play the game(s)?

By pencil and paper games, do you mean role playing games like D&D? Or games like tic-tac-toe? If the former, D&D relevant?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Were both videos about the same game? Yes Does the channel talk about the game(s)? Yes play the game(s)? Yes

By pencil and paper games, do you mean role playing games like D&D? No Or games like tic-tac-toe? Closer to this If the former, D&D relevant? No
Enjay

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Hangman? Pictionary?
hominid

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Hangman? Pictionary? No to both
Enjay

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Crossword puzzles? Sudoku? Something similarly "single-player"?
Hobbsicle

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:26 pm

Did you relevantly play the game at any point? Play another game? Do something described in the video?

If you had skipped the first video, would you still have known that you would get to bed on time on the second night?

Relevant what exactly your ideal bedtime is?
hominid

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Hobbsicle
Crossword puzzles? Sudoku? This - the channel does sometimes cover crosswords and other puzzles but any similar kind of puzzle would work. Something similarly "single-player"?

Hominid
Did you relevantly play the game at any point? Yes Play another game? No Do something described in the video? Yes

If you had skipped the first video, would you still have known that you would get to bed on time on the second night? Yes

Relevant what exactly your ideal bedtime is? Not precisely - assume it's about 1.5-2 hours after the time the videos get posted.
Enjay

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Did you do the puzzle in the first video before the video? During the video? After the video?

Did you do the puzzle in the second video before the video? During the video? After the video?

Did the second video walk you through more of the solution, so you wouldn't have to do any of it yourself?
hominid

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Did you do the puzzle in the first video before the video? This During the video? After the video?

Did you do the puzzle in the second video before the video? During the video? After the video? No to all

Did the second video walk you through more of the solution, so you wouldn't have to do any of it yourself? No, they both walk through the solution
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Did you complete the puzzle before watching the video? Did you do the puzzle before watching the video to compare solutions? to see how far you'd get?

Was the puzzle in the second video considerably harder than the first puzzle? considerable easier? too hard for you? too easy for you?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Did you complete the puzzle before watching the video? The first video? Yes Did you do the puzzle before watching the video to compare solutions? Yes to see how far you'd get? Yes

Was the puzzle in the second video considerably harder than the first puzzle? Yes considerable easier? too hard for you? Yes too easy for you?
Enjay

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Did you see the length of the second video, realize that it had to be a hard puzzle, and decide not to bother trying to complete the puzzle beforehand because of how hard it was?
hominid

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:52 pm

Did you see the length of the second video, realize that it had to be a hard puzzle, and decide not to bother trying to complete the puzzle beforehand because of how hard it was? Yes, exactly!

*****SPOILER*****
A Youtube channel I enjoy posts a video every evening in which they solve a puzzle live while commenting on how they're doing it. They also post a link to do the puzzle yourself online. The longer the video, the longer they took to solve it, therefore the harder the puzzle is.

I'm much slower than the hosts at solving puzzles so if the video is under say half an hour I know I have a chance at solving it, but it will probably take me an hour and a half or more. Therefore a short video means a late night for me, because I'll give the puzzle a go before I start watching the video.

On the other hand, when the video is really long (and the puzzle was therefore difficult even for the expert hosts), I won't even bother trying to solve it - I'll just watch the video to relax, and I can go to bed straight after and have an early night.

Well done Hominid for the solve and thanks Doriana and Hobbsicle for playing!

If anyone is interested, the channel in question is Cracking the Cryptic - I really recommend them. I'm not even particularly into logic puzzles but I find them incredibly soothing to watch or have on in the background. That link goes to a recent video of theirs that went somewhat "viral". The puzzle title "Bobbins" is the word one of the hosts uses when he makes a mistake or gets stuck.
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Bobbins [PUZZLE COMPLETE]

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Nice puzzle, and thank you for giving me another YouTube channel to look at.
hominid

Re: [Enjay] Bobbins [PUZZLE COMPLETE]

Postby Balin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:43 pm

I've seen a couple of their videos, but not that one. Will have to give it a look!
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles