[Doriana] Slightly cryptic puzzle statement

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Slightly cryptic puzzle statement

Postby Doriana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

We had three options. Option A would probably be the easiest way to do it, option B would make most sense for me, but we went with option C. I'm glad we did, because it makes me laugh.
Last edited by Doriana on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Slightly cryptic puzzle statement

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:39 pm

We: A group? HA? F? Did the actual going with the option make you laugh? The memory of doing it? Did it make anyone else out of "we" laugh? Everyone?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Was option C significantly harder? Did it make significantly less sense? Was there a compelling reason to pick C instead? Was it more just a spur-of-the-moment decision?

Do the options refer to travel routes? methods of accomplishing a task? Building/making something? Fixing something? Learning/figuring out something? Communicating something?

Any people involved other than "we"? Any other groups? Any animals?
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

We: A group? Two people HA? F? One H/A/F (me), one H/AM Did the actual going with the option make you laugh? No, the consequences of going with it did The memory of doing it? No Did it make anyone else out of "we" laugh? Probably not Everyone? Probably not (same answer, as there were only two people)

Was option C significantly harder? No Did it make significantly less sense? No Was there a compelling reason to pick C instead? Not really Was it more just a spur-of-the-moment decision? Yes

Do the options refer to travel routes? No methods of accomplishing a task? Yope Building/making something? Fixing something? Learning/figuring out something? No to these Communicating something? Yes

Any people involved other than "we"? Any other groups? Any animals? No to all
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Languages relevant? Writing? Speaking? Tourism relevant? Foreign countries? Foreign languages? Did either of you speak more than one language? WAG: did you decide to both speak to one another in your own, different, languages that both understood? Edit: or each other's languages?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Languages relevant? Yes Writing? Speaking? Both Tourism relevant? No Foreign countries? Yes Foreign languages? Yes Did either of you speak more than one language? Yes WAG: did you decide to both speak to one another in your own, different, languages that both understood? You mean he was speaking his native language, and I was speaking mine? No, but OTRT Edit: or each other's languages? No, but also OTRT

Wow, that first part went fast
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:39 am

Do you speak two languages? Three? More? Does he speak two languages? Three? More? Are you in a foreign country? If so, foreign to both? One? In a country where (one? Both of?) you don't speak the language? Are you deciding what language to use? Silly languages relevant? Such as Pig Latin? Learning a new language relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Do you speak two languages? Three? More? Does he speak two languages? Three? More? I speak three relevant languages, and so does the H/A/M Are you in a foreign country? If so, foreign to both? One? In a country where (one? Both of?) you don't speak the language? No to all, but beware of FA Are you deciding what language to use? Yes Silly languages relevant? Such as Pig Latin? Learning a new language relevant? No to rest
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Are you in a country? Traveling between countries? Relevant? Are you in a group? Near other humans? Is your talking heard by others? Relevant? Do you speak the same three languages? Two of them? One? Did you both decide to speak the same language? Are your skill levels in the three languages you speak relevant? Relevant what actual languages they are?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am

Are you in a country? I am, and so is he, but... Traveling between countries? No Relevant? Not really Are you in a group? No Near other humans? Irrel Is your talking heard by others? Relevant? Irrel Do you speak the same three languages? Yes Two of them? One? Did you both decide to speak the same language? Yes Are your skill levels in the three languages you speak relevant? Yes Relevant what actual languages they are? No
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am

Would it be right to say that option A is language A, option B is language B, and option C is language C?
Are you most skilled in A? B? C? Is he most skilled in A? B? C? Did you decide to both speak the language you're least skilled in? Did you relevantly end up mixing in words from other languages?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am

Would it be right to say that option A is language A, option B is language B, and option C is language C? Yes
Are you most skilled in A? B? C? C Is he most skilled in A? B? C? B Did you decide to both speak the language you're least skilled in? No Did you relevantly end up mixing in words from other languages? He did, yes
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am

Did he mix in words from B? A? Is that what made you laugh? Are you least skilled in A? B? C? Is he least skilled in A? B? C? Should we find out why A would be the easiest way? Why B would make the most sense for you? Make sense=be the logical choice? Be easiest to understand? Relevant when you did this? For how long?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:35 pm

Did he mix in words from B? Yes A? No Is that what made you laugh? Among other things, yes Are you least skilled in A? B? C? B Is he least skilled in A? B? C? C Should we find out why A would be the easiest way? Yes Why B would make the most sense for you? Yes Make sense=be the logical choice? Yesish, at least that's what I think Be easiest to understand? No Relevant when you did this? For how long? No to both - we started about two weeks ago and are still doing it
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Would A be easiest because you're both reasonably good at it? Would Be make the most sense for you because you need to train in it? Because you're better at B than he is at C? Did you choose option C for the challenge? Laughs? Hell of it? Randomly?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Would A be easiest because you're both reasonably good at it? Yes Would Be make the most sense for you because you need to train in it? Yes Because you're better at B than he is at C? I'm probably not, so no Did you choose option C for the challenge? Laughs? Hell of it? Randomly? This

********SPOILER********

I'm moving to the Netherlands soon, so I've been in contact with my future landlord a lot lately. We both speak English, Dutch, and German. Communicating in English would probably be easiest because we're both more or less fluent in it. Speaking Dutch would make most sense because it'd give me an opportunity to practice the language before moving there. However, my new landlord randomly decided to talk to me in German - his German is pretty good, but he makes some cute grammatical mistakes and sometimes just throws in random Dutch words, which makes me chuckle.

Well done, GalFisk!
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles