[GalFisk] Here's my historical fact

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Here's my historical fact

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 am

Inspired by Doriana's puzzle:
If Jennings [H/T/M] had paid more attention in history class, he wouldn't have been accused of bike theft.
Last edited by GalFisk on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk]Here's my historical fact

Postby Doriana » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am

Did Jennings actually steal a bike? Relevant who accused him of bike theft?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am

Did Jennings actually steal a bike? No. Relevant who accused him of bike theft? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Accused: in criminal proceedings? Or just someone asserting Jennings ... ...stole a certain bicycle? stole some bicycle, no matter which? habitually steals bicycles? caused one or more bicycles being stolen without actually stealing it/them himself?

Bike: Ordinary bicycle? Pedelec? Motorcycle?

Could Jennings have avoided being accused of bike theft by paying more attention to lessons on Greek history? Roman history? Medieval history? New history? Contemporary history? History of a certain country? Political history? Economic history? Social history? Cultural history? History of science? medicine? philosophy? law? historiography? History of religion? Technical history? Palaeography? Chronology?
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Accused: in criminal proceedings? No. Or just someone asserting Jennings ... ...stole a certain bicycle? Yope. stole some bicycle, no matter which? habitually steals bicycles? caused one or more bicycles being stolen without actually stealing it/them himself? No to the rest.

Bike: Ordinary bicycle? This. Pedelec? Motorcycle?

Could Jennings have avoided being accused of bike theft by paying more attention to lessons on Greek history? Roman history? Medieval history? New history? Contemporary history? History of a certain country? Political history? Economic history? Social history? Cultural history? History of science? medicine? philosophy? law? historiography? History of religion? Technical history? Palaeography? Chronology? This.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Did he end up in a situation where it appeared as if he had stolen a bike? If he had learned more about chronology, would he have avoided being in that situation? Or been able to prove that he did not steal it? Is there an actual relevant bicycle?
Hobbsicle

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:38 pm

Were bikes mentioned in the lesson?

Did someone facetiously claim Jennings had stolen a bicycle?

Are we speaking of an actual bicycle, or a figurative one? Was a bicycle in fact stolen? Lost? Misplaced?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 am

Did he end up in a situation where it appeared as if he had stolen a bike? Yes. If he had learned more about chronology, would he have avoided being in that situation? Yes. Or been able to prove that he did not steal it? He did prove this. Is there an actual relevant bicycle? Yes.

Were bikes mentioned in the lesson? No.

Did someone facetiously claim Jennings had stolen a bicycle? No.

Are we speaking of an actual bicycle, This. or a figurative one? Was a bicycle in fact stolen? No. Lost? Misplaced? Lost/misplaced is OTRT, but not the words I'd use.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Was the relevant bicycle hidden? moved?

Was he accused of bicycle theft by someone he knew? If so, a friend? family member? acquaintance? teacher? boss? Or by a stranger? By a group of people?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Was the relevant bicycle hidden? moved? This, and...

Was he accused of bicycle theft by someone he knew? If so, a friend? This, indirectly. family member? acquaintance? teacher? boss? Or by a stranger? And this, sort of. By a group of people? No to the rest.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:26 am

Did the bicycle belong to the friend?

Was it moved by Jennings? Was it moved without the friend's knowledge? Relevant where it was moved from? moved to?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am

Did the bicycle belong to the friend? No, but...

Was it moved by Jennings? Was it moved without the friend's knowledge? Relevant where it was moved from? moved to? Yes to all (DOYD of "to").
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49 am

Did Jennings plan to give the bicycle to the friend? Did it belong to the stranger? to Jennings?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 am

Did Jennings plan to give the bicycle to the friend? No, but explore. Did it belong to the stranger? No. to Jennings? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:09 am

Did Jennings plan to give the bike away at all? to sell it?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am

Did Jennings plan to give the bike away at all? to sell it? No to both.
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Had Jennings paid more attention in history class, would he have known something relevant? Been able to do something relevant? Not done something relevant he did while not paying attention? Does his friend know Jennings didn't pay attention in history class? Do his classmates in general? The teacher?
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 am

Had Jennings paid more attention in history class, would he have known something relevant? Been able to do something relevant? Yes to both. Not done something relevant he did while not paying attention? No. Does his friend know Jennings didn't pay attention in history class? Do his classmates in general? The teacher? Yes to all.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:35 am

Is anyone playing a prank? If so, Jennings? His friend?
Is the friend H/T/M? H/T/F? Can we call the friend Alex?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:46 am

Is anyone playing a prank? If so, Jennings? His friend? No to all.
Is the friend H/T/M? This. H/T/F? Can we call the friend Alex? Let's call him Darbishire, because that's his name in the story, and it makes keeping track of the puzzle easier for me. We can also call the teacher Wilkins and the sort of stranger Herbert.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:57 pm

Did someone mistakenly think the bike belonged to Darbishire? To Herbert?

Is the relevant thing Jennings could have known about related to the year when a specific historical event took place? The order in which two or more specific events took place?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am

Did someone mistakenly think the bike belonged to Darbishire? Noish. To Herbert? No.

Is the relevant thing Jennings could have known about related to the year when a specific historical event took place? This, primarily. The order in which two or more specific events took place? He may have confused these as well. Not that relevant.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am

Combination locks relevant? If so, was the code the year of a certain event?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Combination locks relevant? If so, was the code the year of a certain event? No to both (but great guess - I simplified the story for the puzzle, but after the puzzle situation has ended, he does indeed get into further trouble by forgetting the combination to his new bike lock/important historical year. This lock is not relevant to the puzzle).
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:53 pm

GalFisk wrote:Did Jennings plan to give the bicycle to the friend? No, but explore.

Did the friend think Jennings was going to give the bike to him? Pretend the bike was his at some point? Did Jennings let him borrow it?

Did anyone misunderstand something Jennings said because of his lack of relevant knowledge?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Did the friend think Jennings was going to give the bike to him? Pretend the bike was his at some point? No to both. Did Jennings let him borrow it? Yope.

Did anyone misunderstand something Jennings said because of his lack of relevant knowledge? No.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Did the friend take the bike without Jennings' permission? Take it for longer than he should? Somewhere he shouldn't?

Is Herbert's profession relevant?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:11 am

Did the friend take the bike without Jennings' permission? Yesish.Take it for longer than he should? Somewhere he shouldn't? No to both.

Is Herbert's profession relevant? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:06 am

Is Herbert's profession related to bikes? Is he a police officer? Some other kind of law enforcement? Does Herbert see Jennings with the bike? see Darbishire with the bike?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:53 am

Is Herbert's profession related to bikes? Is he a police officer? Yes. Some other kind of law enforcement? Does Herbert see Jennings with the bike? Yes. see Darbishire with the bike? No.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Did Herbert see Jennings taking the bike from where Darbishire had left it? Relevant where?

Did Darbishire make a modification to the bike? To its appearance? Did he leave a relevant item on/near the bike?

Did Herbert see something that implied the owner of the bike would have a certain knowledge? And asked Jennings about it to see if the bike was his? Did he see Jennings do something that showed his lack of knowledge?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:29 am

Did Herbert see Jennings taking the bike from where Darbishire had left it? No. Relevant where? Sort of.

Did Darbishire make a modification to the bike? To its appearance? Did he leave a relevant item on/near the bike? No to all.

Did Herbert see something that implied the owner of the bike would have a certain knowledge? No, but OTRT. And asked Jennings about it to see if the bike was his? Yes. Did he see Jennings do something that showed his lack of knowledge? No, Jennings was able to prove that it was his bike.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:29 am

As a sort of recap/clarification set of questions:

Jennings owns a bike? Darbishire has ridden it? Perhaps has mistaken it for his own? Was he the last one to have ridden it before Jennings takes this ride? Herbert does not know anything about a theft before seeing Jennings riding it? But there is a visual cue that makes him suspect Jennings has stolen it? If Jennings had known when an event occurred, the visual cue wouldn't have been present?
Hobbsicle

Postby AlbatrossLover » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:38 am

Did Herbert suspect Jennings because of something he saw? Heard? Something related to the place where he was riding the bike?

Is a holiday relevant? A cultural event/tradition? The anniversary of a historical event?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am

Jennings owns a bike? Yes. Darbishire has ridden it? Yes. Perhaps has mistaken it for his own? No. Was he the last one to have ridden it before Jennings takes this ride? Yes. Herbert does not know anything about a theft before seeing Jennings riding it? Incorrect. But there is a visual cue that makes him suspect Jennings has stolen it? Yes, but see prev. If Jennings had known when an event occurred, the visual cue wouldn't have been present? Incorrect.

Did Herbert suspect Jennings because of something he saw? Heard? Both. Something related to the place where he was riding the bike? No.

Is a holiday relevant? A cultural event/tradition? The anniversary of a historical event? No to all.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:11 am

Had another, unrelated, bike been reported stolen? And was Herbert looking for the stolen bike? for the thief?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:07 am

Had another, unrelated, bike been reported stolen? No. And was Herbert looking for the stolen bike? for the thief? Yes to both.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 am

Had Jennings' bike been reported stolen? If so, had Jennings reported it? Derbishire? Someone else?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 am

Had Jennings' bike been reported stolen? Yes. If so, had Jennings reported it? No. Derbishire? Yes. Someone else? No.
GalFisk

Postby wolfier » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 am

Is bike rental relevant?
wolfier

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:06 am

Did Darbishire actually think the bike had been stolen when he reported it? Did he intentionally say something that would make Jennings seem suspicious?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 am

Is bike rental relevant? No.

Did Darbishire actually think the bike had been stolen when he reported it? Yes. Did he intentionally say something that would make Jennings seem suspicious? No.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 am

Did Darbishire relevantly suspect a specification person had stole the bike? Did Herbert suspect Jennings because of something he said when he reported it? Did Herbert misunderstand something? Think the bike belonged to Darbishire?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 am

Did Darbishire relevantly suspect a specification person had stole the bike? No. Did Herbert suspect Jennings because of something he said when he reported it? Herbert recognized the bike from Darbishire's description. Did Herbert misunderstand something? Think the bike belonged to Darbishire? No to both.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 am

Had Darbishire borrowed the bike from Jennings? With Jennings' permission? Had they agreed on when to return it? where? Had Jennings taken the bike back earlier than expected?

Is it correct to assume that Darbishire rode the bike somewhere, parked it there, did something, and when he came back, the bike was gone? If so, relevant where he went? what he did there?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:19 am

Had Darbishire borrowed the bike from Jennings? Yes. With Jennings' permission? No. Had they agreed on when to return it? where? No to both. Had Jennings taken the bike back earlier than expected? Yes.

Is it correct to assume that Darbishire rode the bike somewhere, parked it there, did something, and when he came back, the bike was gone? Yes. If so, relevant where he went? what he did there? Not really. He went into town with a friend to visit a café.
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 am

Was the bike parked in a place where Jennings wasn't expected to go?
LemonCurry

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am

Was the bike parked in a place where Jennings wasn't expected to go? Correct.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am

If Jennings had known when an event occurred, would he not have gone to where the bike was parked? would not have taken the bike? would have used the bike so that Darbishire wouldn't have been able to borrow it in the first place?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 am

If Jennings had known when an event occurred, would he not have gone to where the bike was parked? would not have taken the bike? would have used the bike so that Darbishire wouldn't have been able to borrow it in the first place? This.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am

Was Jennings supposed to meet someone somewhere? Was the meeting place "the memorial of the battle of XYZ", and he went to the wrong memorial because he got the years mixed up? And the wrong memorial was closer, so he walked, but if he had had the right one in mind, he would have taken the bike?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Was Jennings supposed to meet someone somewhere? Was the meeting place "the memorial of the battle of XYZ", and he went to the wrong memorial because he got the years mixed up? And the wrong memorial was closer, so he walked, but if he had had the right one in mind, he would have taken the bike? No to all.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Was Jennings doing something else when he would normally be riding his bike? Because of his lack of knowledge? To learn about the relevant subject? Did he go somewhere he usually wouldn't?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 am

Was Jennings doing something else when he would normally be riding his bike? Because of his lack of knowledge? Yes to both. To learn about the relevant subject? This was the intention, but... Did he go somewhere he usually wouldn't? Noish.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 am

Did he fail to learn about it because he was distracted by something else? By the bike situation? Because he made a mistake? Because of a previous lack of knowledge?

Was he taking extracurricular classes, retaking a test or anything of the sort?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:56 am

Did he fail to learn about it because he was distracted by something else? By the bike situation? No to both. Because he made a mistake? Because of a previous lack of knowledge? Probably yes to both.

Was he taking extracurricular classes, retaking a test or anything of the sort? Yes, he had to redo an assignment.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Does he have to redo the assignment because he didn't know when an event occurred?
Did he miss out on another activity because he had to redo the assignment?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Does he have to redo the assignment because he didn't know when an event occurred?
Did he miss out on another activity because he had to redo the assignment? Yes to both.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:52 am

Is the activity something he would usually do with Darbishire? The same thing Darbishire did when he took the bike?

Did Jennings finish redoing the assignment earlier than expected?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:35 am

Is the activity something he would usually do with Darbishire? The same thing Darbishire did when he took the bike? Assume yes to both.

Did Jennings finish redoing the assignment earlier than expected? No, but OTRT.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 am

Did he sneak out of the assignment? Make up an excuse to leave earlier? Cheat?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 am

Did he sneak out of the assignment? No. Make up an excuse to leave earlier? No, but OTRT. Cheat? No.
GalFisk

Postby AlbatrossLover » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am

Did he have to leave earlier because of an unforeseen circumstance? Something that affected him? A teacher?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am

Did he have to No. leave earlier because of an unforeseen circumstance? Something that affected him? A teacher? But yes. Explore.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:03 am

Did he actually complete the assignment?
Did he convince the teacher to let him leave earlier?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:06 am

Did he actually complete the assignment? No.
Did he convince the teacher to let him leave earlier? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Did he lie to the teacher to get out early?
Is his way of getting out early directly related to the historical event?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Did he lie to the teacher to get out early? No.
Is his way of getting out early directly related to the historical event? No.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Does he convince the teacher to let him leave early by saying something? doing something? writing something?

Do we need to find out more about the historical event that Jennings didn't know the year of?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Does he convince the teacher to let him leave early by saying something? This. doing something? writing something?

Do we need to find out more about the historical event that Jennings didn't know the year of? No.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Is what he says to the teacher related to his bike? to Darbishire? to the assignment? to history?

Does the teacher let him go because he thinks he has completed the assignment? he shouldn't have been asked to redo the assignment in the first place? he has a valid reason to be somewhere else?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 am

Is what he says to the teacher related to his bike? to Darbishire? to the assignment? Yes to all. to history? Only in relation to the assignment.

Does the teacher let him go because he thinks he has completed the assignment? No. he shouldn't have been asked to redo the assignment in the first place? Yope, explore. he has a valid reason to be somewhere else? Noish.
Doriana
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:55 am

Had Darbishire already taken the bike when Jennings got out of the assignment? Did Jennings know that Darbishire had taken it? Did he see Darbishire on the bike?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:46 am

Had Darbishire already taken the bike when Jennings got out of the assignment? Yes. Did Jennings know that Darbishire had taken it? Eventually, yes. Did he see Darbishire on the bike? No.
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Your puzzles are always most interesting...

So while Jennings was working on the assignment he assumed that his bike was in a certain place? In a place where he would be retrieving in when finished with the assignment? In a place where other people could use it if they wanted to? In a place that Darbi knew about? Had gone to previously?

Had a verbal exchange taken place between Darbi and Jennings prior to when Jennings went to complete the assignment? An exchange about the bike? About Jennings having to redo a test? About Darbi using Jennings's bike?

When Jennings spoke to the teacher, did he mention the bike? Did he mention Darbi? Did he mention any plans that he had made with Darbi? Did he ask permission to go and locate his bike? Locate Darbi? Locate another person?
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Your puzzles are always most interesting... Glad to hear it.

So while Jennings was working on the assignment he assumed that his bike was in a certain place? Yes, but FA. In a place where he would be retrieving in when finished with the assignment? Yes, same FA. In a place where other people could use it if they wanted to? Yesish, but irr. In a place that Darbi knew about? Had gone to previously? Yes to both.

Had a verbal exchange taken place between Darbi and Jennings prior to when Jennings went to complete the assignment? Yes, same FA. An exchange about the bike? No. About Jennings having to redo a test? Yes. About Darbi using Jennings's bike? No.

When Jennings spoke to the teacher, did he mention the bike?Yes. Did he mention Darbi? Did he mention any plans that he had made with Darbi? No to both, but OTRT. Did he ask permission to go and locate his bike? Yes. Locate Darbi? No. Locate another person? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Is the FA that Jennings ever started to work on the assignment? Was he supposed to work on it but convinced the teacher to let him go before he started?

Locate another person: another student? a teacher? a relative? a bike repairman?
Doriana

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Does D know that J needs to go somewhere to do the assignment? Somewhere that J doesn't normally go? Does J go to the same place to do the assignment as he went to attend history class?
Does J ask to leave because of an emergency? Because he has forgotten to do something? Because he needs to retrieve something? Because he has another required meeting?
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Is the FA that Jennings ever started to work on the assignment? Was he supposed to work on it but convinced the teacher to let him go before he started? Yes to both - he got permission to do it later instead.

Locate another person: another student? This. a teacher? a relative? a bike repairman?

Does D know that J needs to go somewhere to do the assignment? Yes. Somewhere that J doesn't normally go? Yes, but see below. Does J go to the same place to do the assignment as he went to attend history class? He doesn't do the assignment, but he does go somewhere. Darbishire knows he goes to this place.
Does J ask to leave because of an emergency? Because he has forgotten to do something? Because he needs to retrieve something? Because he has another required meeting? No to all, and not that relevant.

For context: he skipped a table tennis tournament in order to make a historical overview that was not part of the assignment, to show that he could be hardworking - but it turned out chaotic. The teacher said he had to redo it at once, while his classmates got to leave, but when he told how he'd already sacrificed some of his free time to make it in the first place, he got permission to redo it later.
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Had Darbi used Jennings's bike in the past? Did Darbi have a bike of his own?

The bike was "hidden and moved by a stranger" according to an earlier answer - someone besides Darbi? Was this established? It was established that Darbi took the bike into town, and when he returned to where the bike had been he found that it wasn't there. Is this because Jennings had retrieved it? Or someone else had?

When Darbi discovered that the bike wasn't where he left it when he went into town, did he locate Herbert? Did Herbert see Darbi and suspect that something was wrong? Did Herbert suspect that Darbi had done something wrong?
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Had Darbi used Jennings's bike in the past? Irr. Did Darbi have a bike of his own? Yes, but...

The bike was "hidden and moved by a stranger" according to an earlier answer No, it was moved, and Jennings was accused by Herbert, a sort of stranger (he didn't know Herbert, but knew who he was). - someone besides Darbi? Only Darbishire and Jennings moved the bike. Was this established? See above. It was established that Darbi took the bike into town, and when he returned to where the bike had been he found that it wasn't there. Correct. Is this because Jennings had retrieved it? Yes. Or someone else had? No.

When Darbi discovered that the bike wasn't where he left it when he went into town, did he locate Herbert? Yesish. Did Herbert see Darbi and suspect that something was wrong? Yes - Darbishire was about to locate Herbert, whom he'd seen recently, when Herbert approached him and asked if there was something wrong. Did Herbert suspect that Darbi had done something wrong? No.
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Given the choice to use his own bike or Jennings's bike, did Darbi prefer to use Jennings's? Because it was readily available? Because his own bike was not able to be used?

Is any of this correct...

Jennings used his own bike to go to a location
Darbi was at that location
Darbi asked permission to use Jennings's bike
Darbi learned that Jennings needed to go somewhere to do an assignment
Darbi assumed that it would take a while for Jennings to do the assignment
Jennings did not have to do the assignment and went to retrieve his own bike, which Darbi had borrowed
Jennings knew that Darbi was going to borrow his bike
Jennings knew where his bike was when he left the place where he was supposed to do the assignment
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Given the choice to use his own bike or Jennings's bike, did Darbi prefer to use Jennings's? Yes, because... Because it was readily available? Because his own bike was not able to be used? This.

Is any of this correct...

Jennings used his own bike to go to a location No.
Darbi was at that location They were at school.
Darbi asked permission to use Jennings's bike No, he didn't.
Darbi learned that Jennings needed to go somewhere to do an assignment Yes.
Darbi assumed that it would take a while for Jennings to do the assignment Yes.
Jennings did not have to do the assignment and went to retrieve his own bike, which Darbi had borrowed Correct.
Jennings knew that Darbi was going to borrow his bike Not "going to", but he was told about this after it had been borrowed.
Jennings knew where his bike was when he left the place where he was supposed to do the assignment Yes.
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:06 pm

So Jennings had or had not used his own bike to get to school?
Darbi did or did not take Jennings's bike from the school?
Is the bike's location prior to any of these events relevant?
Is Jennings aware that Darbi wants to use his bike because Darbi's bike cannot be used?
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 pm

So Jennings had or had not used his own bike to get to school? They're at a boarding school.
Darbi did or did not take Jennings's bike from the school? He did.
Is the bike's location prior to any of these events relevant? It's at the school.
Is Jennings aware that Darbi wants to use his bike because Darbi's bike cannot be used? No.
GalFisk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Ok so both J and D are in the same area, which is the school, prior to when Jennings goes to do the assignment?

It seems as if we have a situation where J goes to do an assignment, which Darbi learns about, so Darbi assumes that since Jennings will be occupied, he (Darbi) should be able to use J's bike. But J does not end up having to stay to do the assignment and then goes to get his bike, which has been borrowed by Darbi. He locates the bike and uses it. Darbi therefore thinks that the borrowed bike has been stolen, shows some kind of distress and is seen by Herbert, who suspects that something is wrong. Darbi tells Herbert that he borrowed a bike to get to his current location and that bike is now missing. But Jennings has retrieved his own bike, so there is no foul play, but Darbi doesn't realize that the bike's owner is the one who took it from the place where Darbi left it.

Any or all of this accurate? Is there more to the story?
CoffeeBean

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Was Darbishire's bike not usable because it was broken? because it had been stolen? because it had gotten too small for Darbishire?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Ok so both J and D are in the same area, which is the school, prior to when Jennings goes to do the assignment?

It seems as if we have a situation where J goes to do an assignment, which Darbi learns about, so Darbi assumes that since Jennings will be occupied, he (Darbi) should be able to use J's bike. But J does not end up having to stay to do the assignment and then goes to get his bike, which has been borrowed by Darbi. He locates the bike and uses it. Darbi therefore thinks that the borrowed bike has been stolen, shows some kind of distress and is seen by Herbert, who suspects that something is wrong. Darbi tells Herbert that he borrowed a bike to get to his current location and that bike is now missing. But Jennings has retrieved his own bike, so there is no foul play, but Darbi doesn't realize that the bike's owner is the one who took it from the place where Darbi left it.

Any or all of this accurate? Is there more to the story?

That's pretty much it. There are a few more characters and twists involved in the actual story, but that would've made the puzzle more complicated.

SPOILER:
The teacher, Mr. Wilkins, announces to the class that those who don't have to redo school work in their free hours, are allowed to bicycle into town. Jennings, Darbishire, Venables and Atkinson all look forward to this, but when Jennings gets his history homework back, he sees a note saying that he needs to use his free hours to redo it. "And in RED ink! Have you seen anything like it, men? Red ink!"
Jennings tells his friends that he's going to ask Mr. Wilkins if he can't do the work some other time. His friends don't think highly of his chances. Jennings leaves anyway, for the teacher's lounge.

Atkinson tells Darbishire that he'll treat him to donuts and soda if he comes along to the café, and Darbi is happy about this until he remembers that his own bike has a flat. Atkinson says he won't wait until Darbishire fixes it, so Darbishire decides to borrow Jennings' bike. He's in a hurry and originally plans to tell Jennings when they get back, but Atkinson thinks it's better to tell him right away. He asks Venables to tell Jennings what he's done, which annoys Venables, but he promises to do so.

Meanwhile, Jennings is telling Mr. Wilkins how he skipped the table tennis tournament in order to do extra work on his assignment, and as it was the extra work that landed him in trouble, the teacher agrees that he can redo it another time, and also gives him a package from his mom, with a new combination padlock for his bike. The code for the lock happens to be one of the historical years he'd gotten badly wrong, but Jennings agrees that now he'll never forget that one. "We should have such a lock for each one the historical years!" Mr. Wilkins thinks there must be better ways than that to learn them.

Jennings rushes out to tell Venables the good news, and Venables in turn tells him the bad news. Jennings takes the next bus instead, and meets up with Venables in town. They see Atkinson's and Jennings' bikes outside the café, and Venables suggests that Jennings run inside and give Darbishire a piece of his mind. Jennings needs to rush to the hardware store instead, to buy a chain for the padlock before closing time, so he just takes the bike. "Darbishire can walk home, if he can't afford the bus!"

Atkinson and Darbishire exit the café, satisfied by a nice meal, when they discover that Jennings' bike is gone. This is terrible! What'll Jennings say, when he didn't even ask permission before borrowing it? And it was brand new, too! They decide to report the theft to the police, and Atkinson had seen constable Herbert inside the café just prior. Before they can go back and look for him, he exits and approaches the two worried-looking boys.
Darbishire tells the whole story - how his bike was stolen, that it wasn't really his, but he had almost gotten permission to borrow it from his friend Jennings, who had to redo his history homework, and how the bike was a new, light blue racer with a flag and pennants, the owner's name under the seat, and multiple gears! "Oh, you can recognize it a mile away!"
Constable Atkinson promises to be on the lookout for the bicycle, and he gets the number to the school so that he can call if he finds out anything. Darbishire runs to catch the next bus.

Jennings and Venables return from the store, when the town policeman addresses them in a not very friendly way. "Where did you get this bike?" "My uncle gave it to me!" "Oh, your uncle? You didn't happen to find it outside this café?" "Well, yes, how did you know that?" "This bike has been reported stolen." After some back and forth, they manage to resolve all misunderstandings, and the constable apologizes and continues on his patrol. Jennings puts his chain through both their bikes. "You can't leave your bike unlocked when Darbishire is around!" He shows off his lock, "The combination is a secret, and I'm not telling anyone! But it has to do with this historical event, so you can try to guess."

I've only heard the Norwegian translation of the story, and in those, all characters and events are rewritten so that the stories takes place in Norway, and the historical event is a Norwegian one. That's why I don't know which one it was in the original.

After eating, drinking and having a good time, they decide to head back to the school before it gets dark, since Venables doesn't have a light on his bicycle. But when they try to open the lock, it doesn't open. They try several different historical years, but none of them work. Venables can't recall which year this particular event happened either, and now it's getting dark.
Then constable Atkinson comes back, and they explain the situation and ask if he knows some historic years. He does know some, but not this one. "Can't you call the school and ask your teacher, then? I happen to have the number written down." By coincidence, the phone number is the same as the year, so the boys praise constable Atkinson for his historical knowledge and head back to the boarding school.

Thanks for playing!
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk]Here's my historical fact (SOLVED)

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Interesting, as always!
CoffeeBean

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles