[Doriana] So call me "Maybe"

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] So call me "Maybe"

Postby Doriana » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:04 pm

How did Anouk (H/T/F) become the world's first statistics-themed superhero?

This puzzle definitely deserves a silly warning, and it's also one of those puzzle that could either work really well or drag on forever. Anyway.
Last edited by Doriana on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] So call me "Maybe"

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Is her name relevant?

Is this a real story? Does she become a superhero in the context of a game? Story? Roleplay? In real life? Is a nickname of hers relevant?

Did she mean to become a statistics-themed hero? Did she make a mistake? Is wordplay relevant? A word that has multiple meanings?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Is a pun relevant? A specific statistics term? Powers of the superhero relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am

AlbatrossLover
Is her name relevant? Yes

Is this a real story? It's based on true events, but the puzzle statement is a bit tongue-in-cheek Does she become a superhero in the context of a game? Story? Roleplay? No to all In real life? Not literally, but... Is a nickname of hers relevant? No, very slight -ish

Did she mean to become a statistics-themed hero? No Did she make a mistake? No Is wordplay relevant? Yesish A word that has multiple meanings? Yope

GalFisk
Is a pun relevant? Yope A specific statistics term? Yesish Powers of the superhero relevant? No
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Does her name in conjunction with one or more words resemble a statistics term? Is her surname relevant?

Does a specific person make the pun/wordplay? Multiple people? Relevant?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Does her name in conjunction with one or more words resemble a statistics term? No Is her surname relevant? Yes

Does a specific person make the pun/wordplay? Multiple people? Relevant? Multiple people, and relevant, but beware of FA
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:52 am

Is she a superhero in that: she does something heroic? Saves someone? Seems to have special powers? Forms a team? Movies/TV/comic books relevant? Does her surname end in "man"? Or "woman," "guy," "girl," etc?

Does she have to do something specific to "become" the statistics-themed superhero? Say something? Do the other people do something? Say something? Does she already have the relevant quality, but it is now noticed?
Last edited by irishelk on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am

Is she a superhero in that: she does something heroic? Saves someone? Seems to have special powers? Forms a team? No to all Does her surname end in "man"? Yes! (-mann, to be precise, as this takes place in Germany) Or "woman," "guy," "girl," etc?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:55 am

Oops, I edited while you answered ^^. I think you can disregard the above, unless there's a "yes" in there, lol.

Does the first part of her surname relate to statistics? In German? in English? Did it not seem to relate to statistics until something else happened?
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

There is a yes in there indeed
Does she have to do something specific to "become" the statistics-themed superhero? Say something? No to these Do the other people do something? Yes Say something? No Does she already have the relevant quality, but it is now noticed? See below

Does the first part of her surname relate to statistics? Yope In German? in English? Both Did it not seem to relate to statistics until something else happened? Yes!
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Means relevant? Medians? Averages? Spreads? Bell curves? Statistical significance? Probabilities? Curves? Cycles? Errors? The misrepresentation or misinterpretation of statistics?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Means relevant? Medians? Averages? Spreads? Bell curves? Statistical significance? Probabilities? Curves? Cycles? Errors? The misrepresentation or misinterpretation of statistics? No to all
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Would trying to guess at other statistical or mathematical terms be useful?
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Was her name misspelled? Mispronounced?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Would trying to guess at other statistical or mathematical terms be useful? I think other lines of questioning might be more fruitful. No need to figure out the actual statistics-related term if you have the concept - see below, LemonCurry made a great leap!

Was her name misspelled? THIS - where/how/why? Mispronounced? Not relevantly
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 am

Is just her surname misspelled? Both her first and last names?

Is it always misspelled in the same circumstances? By the same people? By people who hear her name said out loud? By English speakers? German speakers?

Is the misspelling unintentional? Does she relevantly read/notice the misspelling?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:36 am

Is just her surname misspelled? This Both her first and last names?

Is it always misspelled in the same circumstances? No, FA By the same people? By people who hear her name said out loud? By English speakers? German speakers?

Is the misspelling unintentional? Yes Does she relevantly read/notice the misspelling? Yes
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 am

Is it only relevantly misspelled once? If so, by multiple people at the same time?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 am

Did she misspell it herself? Did a friend of hers do it? An enemy? A stranger?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 am

Is it only relevantly misspelled once? Yes (or at least, only one misspelling is relevant to the puzzle) If so, by multiple people at the same time? Yesish

Did she misspell it herself? Did a friend of hers do it? No, but friends of hers play a role here An enemy? A stranger? Yes, or rather a group of strangers
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am

Was it misspelled with the statistical term in mind? Is the statistical term also a name?

Was she taking part in a survey? Were people joking that the survey would provide nice results because the statistical superhero was in there?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:13 am

Was it misspelled with the statistical term in mind? No Is the statistical term also a name? No

Was she taking part in a survey? No Were people joking that the survey would provide nice results because the statistical superhero was in there? Good idea, but also a no
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:35 am

Group of strangers: a team? A company? A government entity? An organization?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 am

Group of strangers: a team? A company? This A government entity? An organization?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am

Was the misspelling intentional? Accidental? Caused by a human? Computer? Other device? Did it affect one letter? Was one or more letters changed? Added? Removed? Was the superheroism caused by her last name only? Both names? More names?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:03 am

Was the misspelling intentional? Accidental? This Caused by a human? Computer? This, I think, although human intervention could probably have avoided it Other device? Did it affect one letter? Was one or more letters changed? Added? Removed? Two letters were removed Was the superheroism caused by her last name only? Yes Both names? More names?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Did the computer have a problem with foreign/accented letters? Were the letters removed by a profanity filter? Other filter? Were the two letters adjacent? Were they replaced by anything? If so, spaces? Stars? Question marks?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:15 pm

Did the computer have a problem with foreign/accented letters? Yes! Were the letters removed by a profanity filter? Other filter? No to these Were the two letters adjacent? Yes Were they replaced by anything? If so, spaces? This Stars? Question marks?

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a

********SPOILER********

When we graduated high school, we got t-shirts printed with the names of the graduating class. Unfortunately, they were unable to print non-standard letters in the fancy font we had chosen. My poor friend, whose last name is Rüßmann (first name changed to protect her privacy), ended up with a t-shirt that said "Anouk R mann". R is also a popular programming language for statistical computing, making her the first statistics-themed superhero :D
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles