[Doriana] Subtle Titles

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Subtle Titles

Postby Doriana » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:29 pm

I was watching something on Netflix in a language that I know and I had no difficulties hearing/understanding the dialogue, so why did I turn on subtitles?

True story, so I = Doriana. Possible quickie.
Last edited by Doriana on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Subtle Titles

Postby Enjay » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Did you intend to read the subtitles the whole time you were watching? At specific points? Were the subtitles in the same language that the dialogue was in? Were the subtitles for the dialogue? For background music/noise? Both? Relevant? Did you turn on the subtitles for your own benefit? Someone else's?
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Did you intend to read the subtitles the whole time you were watching? No At specific points? No Were the subtitles in the same language that the dialogue was in? Yes Were the subtitles for the dialogue? Yes For background music/noise? No Both? No Relevant? Yes Did you turn on the subtitles for your own benefit? No Someone else's? Yes, tiny ish
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Was there someone else in the room watching Netflix with you? Were you recording or in some way taking note of the subtitles? Was there any interest in comparing the written word to what was said (e.g. to aid comprehension, think about idioms or ways a phrase could be shortened, gauge the accuracy of Netflix's subtitles)? Would this later be used in the aid of teaching somehow?
WiZ

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Did anyone relevantly read the subtitles at any point? Were you more interested in a technical aspect of the subs, like the timing? Is understanding unusual names/words used in the show relevant?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 am

Was there someone else in the room watching Netflix with you? No Were you recording or in some way taking note of the subtitles? Yes, recording Was there any interest in comparing the written word to what was said (e.g. to aid comprehension, think about idioms or ways a phrase could be shortened, gauge the accuracy of Netflix's subtitles)? No Would this later be used in the aid of teaching somehow? No

Did anyone relevantly read the subtitles at any point? I can't be 100 % sure, but let's assume yes Were you more interested in a technical aspect of the subs, like the timing? No Is understanding unusual names/words used in the show relevant? No
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Were you recording the programme so someone else could watch it? Who doesn't understand the language? Doesn't understand the language well enough to be able to follow the dialogue without subtitles? Is deaf? Will watch it in a very loud environment, so he wouldn't hear the dialogue? Will watch it in a quiet environment, so she will turn off the sound so she doesn't disturb others? Will watch it on a device that can't play sound? That can play sound, but the sound (e.g. a paramedic on stand-by-duty expects to be called via that device)?
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Were you recording the programme so someone else could watch it? Yes (not the entire programme though, just one scene) Who doesn't understand the language? Unlikely Doesn't understand the language well enough to be able to follow the dialogue without subtitles? Possibly Is deaf? Unlikely Will watch it in a very loud environment, so he wouldn't hear the dialogue? Possibly Will watch it in a quiet environment, so she will turn off the sound so she doesn't disturb others? Possibly Will watch it on a device that can't play sound? Possibly That can play sound, but the sound (e.g. a paramedic on stand-by-duty expects to be called via that device)? Possibly
Sorry for the vagueness, there might be a very slight FA. Good round nevertheless!
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Is the FA that only one person would watch the scene? That you know who would watch the scene?
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Is the FA that only one person would watch the scene? Yes That you know who would watch the scene? Yope - I knew who could watch it, but I had no way of knowing who would actually do it
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Do you expect people to watch the scene for educational purposes? For entertainment?
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Do you expect people to watch the scene for educational purposes? For entertainment? This
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Were you intending for the recording to be viewed by the general public at some point? Or at least by a wide group of people? And you can't know whether some of them would need subtitles so you recorded it with them just in case?
Enjay

Postby AlbatrossLover » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Is the platform where you shared the clip relevant? The way you recorded it?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:07 am

Were you intending for the recording to be viewed by the general public at some point? No Or at least by a wide group of people? Yesish And you can't know whether some of them would need subtitles so you recorded it with them just in case? Yesish

Is the platform where you shared the clip relevant? Only in a general sense The way you recorded it? Not really (with my phone)

Almost there!
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Did you know who would see it when you recorded it? Did you want to have it in your phone in order to be able to show it if needed? Did you send it to someone?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Did you know who would see it when you recorded it? I knew who could potentially see it Did you want to have it in your phone in order to be able to show it if needed? No Did you send it to someone? Yope
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Did you upload it somewhere? Did you personally know the people who'd potentially see it? Relevant? Is the LTPF relevant? Some other online community?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Did you upload it somewhere? Yes Did you personally know the people who'd potentially see it? Most of them Relevant? Not really Is the LTPF relevant? No Some other online community? Yes

********SPOILER********

The other day, I was watching something on Netflix. There was one scene in particular that I found inspirational and wanted to share with my instagram followers. There are many reasons why people browse instagram with the sound off (for me, it's usually because I listen to music in the background, but other reasons have been mentioned in the puzzle), so I decided to record and upload the scene with subtitles on.

Thanks for playing, everyone, and congrats on the solve, GalFisk!
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles