[markobr] Green man's holiday

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[markobr] Green man's holiday

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:15 pm

Some years ago while on holiday I visited an island. The island was nearly car-free, there were no horse carriages, and I didn't even see a bicycle. However, there were traffic lights on the island. Why?
markobr

Re: Green man's holiday

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Were the traffic lights operational? Did they serve their ordinary purpose, i.e. controlling traffic flow?

Were they in a museum? used as decoration?
Were they used as a way to control entry into a building? E.g. a green light meant that the next customer/guest/... could enter the building?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Were the traffic lights operational? Yes. Did they serve their ordinary purpose, Yesish. i.e. controlling traffic flow? Yes.

Were they in a museum? No. used as decoration? No.
Were they used as a way to control entry into a building? No. E.g. a green light meant that the next customer/guest/... could enter the building? No.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Were they controlling the flow of pedestrian traffic? animals?
Vehicles relevant at all?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Were they controlling the flow of pedestrian traffic? Yes. animals? Not usually.
Vehicles relevant at all? Yes.
markobr

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Is the nature of the island relevant? Is it e.g. a military base? Is it mainly agricultural? Size relevant?
klondike mary

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Vehicles: on land? On water? In the air?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:25 am

Were there other wheeled vehicles? Did the light prevent collisions? Jams? Crowding? Confusion? Transport to or from the island relevant? Tourism?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:55 am

Is the nature of the island relevant? Yes. Is it e.g. a military base? No. Is it mainly agricultural? No. Size relevant? Yes.

Vehicles: on land? On water? In the air? This.

Were there other wheeled vehicles? Yope. Did the light prevent collisions? This. Jams? Crowding? Confusion? Transport to or from the island relevant? Yes. Tourism? Yes.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am

Is traffic crossing an airstrip? Helipad? Other helicopter landing area? Does a red light mean ground traffic must stop for aircraft?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Is traffic crossing an airstrip? Not crossing, but an airstrip is relevant. Helipad? No. Other helicopter landing area? No. Does a red light mean ground traffic must stop for aircraft? Yes.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Is traffic passing near the end of an airstrip? And must wait for low flying aircraft to pass? I think I've seen a picture of something like that.
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Is traffic passing near the end of an airstrip? Yes. And must wait for low flying aircraft to pass? Yes. I think I've seen a picture of something like that.

Not much more to find out, but before spoiling it, I would like to see an explanation why they organised traffic in such a strange way. No details (which I probably wouldn't know anyway), just a general reason.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Did they have a choice? Was there only one suitable location for an airstrip? One really good location? Had other things gradually encroached on the airstrip?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Did they have a choice? Not much, at least not without running into other problems. Was there only one suitable location for an airstrip? Yesish. One really good location? Noish. Had other things gradually encroached on the airstrip? No or irrelevant.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Was the airstrip used: frequently? Rarely? Only during parts of the year? More now than earlier? By other people now than earlier? Did road traffic relevantly increase? Do tourists arrive by pane? Leave by plane? Wait at the light? Is a specific tourist attraction relevant? Is the airstrip itself an attraction?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Was the airstrip used: frequently? Not quite sure, but assume yes. Rarely? Only during parts of the year? No. More now than earlier? Possibly, but not really relevant. By other people now than earlier? Well, the individuals may change, but nothing more. Did road traffic relevantly increase? No. Do tourists arrive by pane? Yes. Leave by plane? Yes. Wait at the light? Yes. Is a specific tourist attraction relevant? Yesish. Is the airstrip itself an attraction? No.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Is the island itself the attraction? Is something natural an attraction? Something manmade? Something historical?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Is the island relevantly narrow? mountainous? Type of soil relevant?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Is the island relevantly narrow? Yes! mountainous? No. Type of soil relevant? No.

This was the last bit of information I wanted you to find out, time for a

======== SPOILER =======

This is the story of the islands of Heligoland and Düne, two quite small islands in the North Sea, about 50 kilometers off the German coast. Heligoland is quite a popular destination for tourists, but if you want to go there by plane, you will land on Düne which is even smaller than Heligoland (There is a taxi on Düne that will take you to a ferry that will take you to Heligoland proper). Now Düne isn't only Heligoland's airport, but you can also rent holiday homes just there (although not many), there's a camping ground, nature conservancy is also an important issue there (lots and lots of seals, for example), and there are many people staying on Heligoland who also make a day trip to Düne. Add a few measures for coastal protection, a lighthouse, and possibly a few things I don't know about, there's not much room on Düne, so they sometimes have to improvise in order to reconcile the different requirements. So there's a road very close to one of the airport's airstrips, and when a plane starts or lands there, walkers and the occasional taxi must wait for the green man to show up...

You can look at the situation on

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/54.18685/7.91341
markobr

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles