[klondike mary] Stayin' cool

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] Stayin' cool

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Lennie got the red-carpet treatment at work.
It wasn't exactly the perk he might have imagined
klondike mary

Re: [klodike mary] Stayin' cool

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Lennie = H/A/M?
Is his job relevant?
Any literal red carpets relevant?
Doriana

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Lennie = H/A/M? YesIs his job relevant? Type of job is relevant Any literal red carpets relevant The carpet actually is red, but could be any color.
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:13 am

Red-carpet treatment: lavish reception? Praise? Did he feel that he did not deserve the treatment? That it was pointless? Misdirected? Embarrassing? That he'd rather have something else?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Red-carpet treatment: lavish reception? Praise? [b]No to both. [/b]Did he feel that he did not deserve the treatment? That it was pointless? Misdirected? Embarrassing? [b]N.r. to all.[/b]That he'd rather have something else?[b]No doubt, but n.r.[/b]
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Had he imagined something nice? Was the treatment nice? Meant to be nice? Hazing relevant?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Had he imagined something nice? Was the treatment nice? Meant to be nice? [b]Most people would think 'red carpet' treatmet' would be rather nice. In this case, it was more neutral.[/b]azing relevant [b]No.[/b]
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:52 am

Was the treatment given to: him? Someone else? A group? Everyone?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:02 am

Red-carpet treatment = relative to the treatment usually reserved to him? I mean, had he been always badly treated, for him red-carpet treatment would have simply meant "being treated normally".

Is red-carpet treatment metaphorical? I.e. it means a good action/ something to honor him? Does it deal with: offering something? Having the coffee on the desk? Let him do something he was not allowed to do otherwise? Feeding an animal? Offering as volunteer? Let him do more job than usual?

It wasn't exactly the perk he might have imagined --> did he expect a perk? Did he expect something different? Did he feel: embarrassed? Neutral? annoyed? Bored? sad? angry?

Did colleagues reserved him the red-carpet treatment? Did they think he would have appreciated it? Was it a joke? A ritual that colleagues had?

Relevant his work? pink collar? White collar? Blue collar? Does he work in food industry? Health care? Entertainment? Office? Bank? Hotel? Cinema? As an actor? With technology? animals? Circus?

Was it his first day at work? Is there a reason why he received the red-carpet treatment? Birthday? A special occasion for him? Nothing special?

Did the red carpet treatment begin as soon as he exited his house? when he arrived at work? In the elevator? As soon as he saw a collegue (did he see one?)? As soon as he started working? After work? In the morning? During a pause? Coffee relevant?
Is it some compensation going on? I mean, for instance colleagues/his relatives gave him a cake for his birthday that he had to eat alone in the office since he had a lot of work to do and could not spend his birthday with family?
Earnest

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Did Lennie physically do something with an actual carpet? Move it? Clean it?
AlbatrossLover

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:05 am

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

Was the treatment given to: him? Someone else? A group? Everyone?[b]To a largish group, one at a time. [/b]
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 am

Red-carpet treatment = relative to the treatment usually reserved to him? I mean, had he been always badly treated, for him red-carpet treatment would have simply meant "being treated normally".[b]He is being treated neither better or worse than before, simply different in one particular way.[/b]Is red-carpet treatment metaphorical?[b]No, literal.[/b]I.e. it means a good action/ something to honor him? Does it deal with: offering something? Having the coffee on the desk? Let him do something he was not allowed to do otherwise? Feeding an animal? Offering as volunteer? Let him do more job than usual?[b]All n.r.[/b]

It wasn't exactly the perk he might have imagined --> did he expect a perk?[b]No.[/b]Did he expect something different? Did he feel: embarrassed? Neutral? annoyed?[b]Neutreal to very slightly annoyed.[/b]Bored? sad? angry?

Did colleagues reserved him the red-carpet treatment? Did they think he would have appreciated it? Was it a joke? A ritual that colleagues had?[b]No to all.[/b]

Relevant his work? pink collar? White collar? Blue collar? [b]This.[/b]Does he work in food industry? [b]Yopish.[/b]Health care? Entertainment? Office? Bank? Hotel? Cinema? As an actor? With technology? animals? Circus?

Was it his first day at work? Is there a reason why he received the red-carpet treatment? Birthday? A special occasion for him? Nothing special?[b]Nothing special, everyday happening.[/b]

Did the red carpet treatment begin as soon as he exited his house? when he arrived at work? [b]This.[/b]In the elevator? As soon as he saw a collegue (did he see one?)? As soon as he started working? After work? In the morning? During a pause? Coffee relevant?

Is it some compensation going on? I mean, for instance colleagues/his relatives gave him a cake for his birthday that he had to eat alone in the office since he had a lot of work to do and could not spend his birthday with family?[b]No.[/b]
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 am

Did Lennie physically do something with an actual carpet? Move it? Clean it? No, he only walks on it.
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] Stayin' cool

Postby klondike mary » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:00 pm

***************SPOILER*****************
About time to pull the plug on this.
Lennie works for Amazon. As he clocks in, he must walk over a carpet, which happens to be red, to have his temperature taken. I assume the carpet does not have anything to do with reading his temperature, but it must trigger a mechanism that does.

What I want to know is: who declared 98.6 to be normal, and why? My temp is usually much lower, higher if I have been exercising. Maybe they mean 'average?;
klondike mary

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles