[klondike mary] bye bye

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] bye bye

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 am

I don't know if I am smarter than a 5th-grader, but there is someone/something I can outsmart, though it is not very nice of me.
klondike mary

Re: [klodike mary] bye bye

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

Someone/something: one entity? Two? More? An animal? A technical device or system? Would outsmarting this be: mean? Dishonest? Petty? Exploitative? Cruel? Pointless?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Is it not nice: to the someone/thing? To someone else? To yourself? Just generally mean or bad manners?
irishelk

Postby klondike mary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 am

Someone/something: one entity? Two? More?One entity/group made up of many entities.An animal? Yes.A technical device or system? Would outsmarting this be: mean? Dishonest? [b]Yessish.[/b]Petty?[b]Yessish.[/b]Exploitative? Cruel? [b]Yope leaning to no.[/b]Pointless?There is very much a point to it.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:28 am

Is it not nice: to the someone/thing? To someone else? [b]to the aforementioned entity.[/b]To yourself?[b]No, it is good for me.[/b]Just generally mean[b]Depends on one's POV.[/b]or bad manners?[b]Manners n.r.[/b]
klondike mary

Postby irishelk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:28 pm

You can outsmart an animal? A group of animals? A certain species of animal?

Is the animal a pet? Domesticated? Wild?

Is food involved? Water? Spoken commands? Hiding something?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 am

Are the animals human? Mammalian? Are they your pets? Animals that feed on your property? Rodents?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm

You can outsmart an animal? A group of animals?[b]Yes.[/b] A certain species of animal?[b]Yes.[/b]Is the animal a pet? Domesticated? Wild?Wild.

Is food involved? [b]Yes, no to the rest.[/b]Water? Spoken commands? Hiding something?
Are the animals human? Mammalian? Are they your pets? Animals that feed on your property? This, no to everything else.Rodents?
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Are they insects? Bees? Birdies?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:02 am

Are they insects? Bees? Birdies?No to all. I'm sorry, I overlooked the last word in the last question. They are, in fact, rodents - a specific type of rodent.
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 am

To be sure: are we talking about real animals? virtual ones?

Is the reference to the 5th-grader relevant? Or just a comparison?

Can you outsmart them more than once?

it is not very nice of me. --> because the animals would suffer/die? Someone else would suffer?

In outsmarting them, do you obtain an advantage? If so, a physical advantage? (e.g. employ the movement of a group of animals to produce energy? to drag something? to entertain people? To gain money?) A scientific advance? (e.g. they are guinea pigs? animals to be tested?)

Can you outsmart a certain group of animals belonging to that specie? All the animals belonging to that specie? Do you trap them? Is the food a trap? A way to attract them in a specific place? A reward given after they obey/do a certain action? Maybe a target to reach but that is unreachable until you want it (e.g. food at the top of an hamster wheel)? Specific type of rodent --> rats? hamsters? squirrels? skunks? beavers? others?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 pm

To be sure: are we talking about real animals? virtual ones? [b]Real animals. Correction: They are not rodents, but birds. For a moment, I forgot which puzzle I was working on.[/b]

Is the reference to the 5th-grader relevant? Or just a comparison? [b]Reference to a quiz show: "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader."[/b]Can you outsmart them more than once? [b]Hopefully.[/b]

it is not very nice of me. --> because the animals would suffer/die? Someone else would suffer?[b]I would be taking a food source away from them, but I'm sure they could find another.[/b]In outsmarting them, do you obtain an advantage?[b]Yes[/b]If so, a physical advantage? (e.g. employ the movement of a group of animals to produce energy? to drag something? to entertain people? To gain money?) A scientific advance? (e.g. they are guinea pigs? animals to be tested?)[b]No to all of these. My advantage is that I am putting 'them' at a disadvantage.[/b]

Can you outsmart a certain group of animals belonging to that specie? [b]Yes.[/b]All the animals belonging to that specie? Do you trap them? Is the food a trap? A way to attract them in a specific place?[b]Food is involved, but I do not give them food. [/b]A reward given after they obey/do a certain action? Maybe a target to reach but that is unreachable until you want it (e.g. food at the top of an hamster wheel)? Specific type of rodent --> rats? hamsters? squirrels? skunks? beavers? others? [b]They are birds. Sorry - I should not run more than one puzzle at a time involving animals![/b]
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Are the birds a nuisance to you? Do you enjoy their visits? Do they feed on something in your yard? On your house? In your garden? Drink from a fountain/pond/pool you have?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 am

Are the birds a nuisance to you? YesDo you enjoy their visits?Not particularly.Do they feed on something in your yard? On your house? In your garden?This. Drink from a fountain/pond/pool you have?
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 am

Is it something that you planted? If so, relevant specifically what plant? Is it edible by humans? A flower? Would you just have to uproot it? Cover it? Spray it with something that would make it unappealing to the birds? Encage it?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Is a bird feeder involved? Is the food trapped or protected in some way?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Is a bird feeder involved?No. Is the food trapped or protected in some way? Yes, I am trying to protect the food, by, in a sense, 'booby-trapping' it.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Is it something that you planted? Yes.If so, relevant specifically what plant? Yope, leaning to yes. Is it edible by humans? Yes.A flower?A fruit. Would you just have to uproot it? Cover it? Spray it with something that would make it unappealing to the birds?I am doing my best to make it not attractive to birds. All other q's, n.r. Encage it?
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] bye bye

Postby trebor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:47 pm

Apples? Berries? Peaches? Figs? Oranges? Another citrus?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:29 am

Apples? Berries?Of a sort. No to the others. Peaches? Figs? Oranges? Another citrus?
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Something that is called a berry but isn't? Strawberries?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 am

Something that is called a berry but isn't? Strawberries?[b]Yes and yes! So how do you booby-trap a strawberry?[/b]
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:12 am

Do you put fake strawberries in the bush as well? Do you connect something in some way to the strawberries? Do you rig up live wires to all the strawberries and then electrocute the birds? (Sometimes it's frightening where my mind will go...)
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Do you put fake strawberries in the bush as well? Yes!Do you connect something in some way to the strawberries? Do you rig up live wires to all the strawberries and then electrocute the birds? (Sometimes it's frightening where my mind will go...) [b]Yes, it is![/b]
trebor

I like strawberries. Crows also like strawberries, and will eat mine before I get a chance to Some handcrafty persons make an art/avocation of painting pebbles or small stones, so I was inspired to paint some small stones to look like strawberries and leave them around the plants. The birds tried to eat the fake berries and were frustrated and went away - for a while at least.
Bye bye, blackbird!
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 am

Oh, that's the ***********SPOILER******************
klondike mary

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles