[markobr] I find my joy in the simple things

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[markobr] I find my joy in the simple things

Postby markobr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 pm

Some years ago I spent part of my holiday on an island. I keep a certain object from this island as a souvenir which is especially remarkable for being less valuable than most (sufficiently) similar objects. What is it?
Last edited by markobr on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markobr

Re: [markobr] I find my joy in the simple things

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 am

Is it a coin/some sort of currency? A manmade object? One that can only be found on that island?

Is it less valuable in a monetary sense? Is it less useful than other similar objects? Outdated? Damaged?

Are there other objects that share the same remarkable characteristics in the island? Outside of the island? Is the specific place you were in relevant?
AlbatrossLover

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Is it natural? Does it have historical significance?

Is it sand?
JenBurdoo

Postby Doriana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:16 pm

Did you buy the object? find it? Was it given to you for free?

Has the object always been less valuable than similar objects? Or did it start out as valuable as others, but lost value over time (to a greater extent than similar objects)?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:19 pm

Is it a coin No. /some sort of currency? But yes... first question, and half the puzzle solved! A manmade object? Yes. One that can only be found on that island? Well, right now it can be found in my home which is not on this island...

Is it less valuable in a monetary sense? Yes. Is it less useful than other similar objects? Insofar it is less valuable, yes. For other objects of comparable value, it depens on your preferences. Outdated? Some may say so, but I would say no. Damaged? No.

Are there other objects that share the same remarkable characteristics in the island? Yes. Outside of the island? Yes. I'm neither the first one nor the last one to take such an object home from holiday. Is the specific place you were in relevant? Yes.

Is it natural? No. Does it have historical significance? Somewhat.

Is it sand? No.

Did you buy the object? Yope. find it? No. Was it given to you for free? No.

Has the object always been less valuable than similar objects? Yes. Or did it start out as valuable as others, but lost value over time (to a greater extent than similar objects)? No.
markobr

Postby biograd » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 am

Is the object a bill? a stamp?

Since you said it always has had reduced value, I'm assuming it wasn't altered in some way in order to make it into a souvenir, which made it lose value, correct?
biograd

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Is it an unusual form of currency, such as a shell, or a cake of salt?
JenBurdoo

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 am

Misprinted bills relevant? Is the object part of a currency that is currently in use?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Is it relevant which island you were on?
trebor

Postby markobr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Is the object a bill? In the US sense of the word, yes.. Others would call it a banknote. a stamp? No.

Since you said it always has had reduced value Reduced?, Lower,yes,but no reduction involved. I'm assuming it wasn't altered in some way in order to make it into a souvenir, which made it lose value, correct Yes, it wasn't.

Is it an unusual form of currency, such as a shell, or a cake of salt? No, nothing of this kind.

Misprinted bills relevant? No. Is the object part of a currency that is currently in use? Yes.

Is it relevant which island you were on? Yesish. I believe there are a few more islands where this would work.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:25 am

Was it a very lowly valued currency? Such as the Italian Lira?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:48 pm

Is it a note in a denomination normally reserved for coins? As in a (US) fifty-cent banknote?
JenBurdoo

Postby markobr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:00 pm

Was it a very lowly valued currency? Not very, see below Such as the Italian Lira? Noish.

Is it a note in a denomination normally reserved for coins?Yes. As in a (US) fifty-cent banknote? There are fifty-cent banknotes? If theydo, something quite similar, but no fractions involved.
markobr

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:25 am

I'm familiar with one- and two-euro coins - are these denominations usually only found as coins and not banknotes? If so, is the note for such a denomination?

Perhaps because it is less expensive to print a note? Easier to ship to an island? Easier to use there?
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Were you in Europe? Asia? Africa? Oceania? North America? South America? Is the Euro the relevant unit of currency?
trebor

Postby markobr » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:33 am

I'm familiar with one- and two-euro coins - are these denominations usually only found as coins and not banknotes? Yes! If so, is the note for such a denomination? No, wrng currency.

Perhaps because it is less expensive to print a note? Easier to ship to an island? Easier to use there?Probably none of these, but I'm not sure about the reason.

Were you in Europe? This. Asia? Africa? Oceania? North America? South America? Is the Euro the relevant unit of currency? But no.
markobr

Postby trebor » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am

Is the currency there the pound? The Icelandic krona? I don't know the currencies of the following, but were you in: Bulgaria? Croatia? Czechia? Denmark? Hungary? Poland? Romania? Sweden? Were you in a country that didn't use the Euro then but now does? Is it an island country?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Is the note for a denomination a fraction of what a bill would normally be? One normally found only on coins? Are coins of this amount available on the island? If not, is the reason relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby markobr » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Sorry for answering quite late, but we sure have now a couplae of interesting questions.

I'm familiar with one- and two-euro coins - are these denominations usually only found as coins and not banknotes? Yes, but not relevant here, as the Euro currency is not involved. If so, is the note for such a denomination? But yes, the denomination is one you would usually expect to be a coin in the relevant currency.

Perhaps because it is less expensive to print a note? Easier to ship to an island? Not sure about these, but probably not very relevant. Easier to use there? No, coins would do just fine.

Is the currency there the pound? Yes. The Icelandic krona? So, no. I don't know the currencies of the following, but were you in: Bulgaria? Croatia? Czechia? Denmark? Hungary? Poland? Romania? Sweden? [And, so no to these.l[/b] Were you in a country that didn't use the Euro then but now does? No. Is it an island country? Island: Yes. Country: Yesish (or maybe Yope?)..

Is the note for a denomination a fraction of what a bill would normally be? Yes. One normally found only on coins? Yes. Are coins of this amount available on the island? Usually yes, but not very common. If not, is the reason relevant? Probably not.
markobr

Postby wunderland » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Is the island the Isle of Man?

Is the banknote a decimal denomination (i.e. a number of pennies, each of which is one hundredth of a pound)?
wunderland

Postby markobr » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:52 am

Is the island the Isle of Man? Yes!

Is the banknote a decimal denomination (i.e. a number of pennies, each of which is one hundredth of a pound)? But no.

Clarification: I din't understand "a fraction of what a bill would normally be" as meaning the denomination is somehow expressed as a fraction.
markobr

Postby wunderland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Is it a ten shilling note?
wunderland

Postby markobr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Is it a ten shilling note? No. Did such notes actually exist on the Isle of Man? If yes, I would like to know more about them.
markobr

Postby wunderland » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 pm

I only know what I read on Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A3sd# ... _banknotes

So to confirm: the value of the note is less than a pound? But not denominated as a number of decimal pennies? So presumably it is a number of pre-decimal pennies (each being one 240th of a pound)?

Is the LTPF List of Positive Integers still a thing?
wunderland

Postby markobr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 pm

wunderland wrote:I only know what I read on Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A3sd# ... _banknotes

So to confirm: the value of the note is less than a pound? No, it's just a fraction of the usual denominations of pound notes. 1/5, actually. But not denominated as a number of decimal pennies? So presumably it is a number of pre-decimal pennies (each being one 240th of a pound)? [b]No, it's just that the smallest banknote on the Isle of Man has a denomination smaller than what you (usually) find in England , Scotland or Wales (as for NI, I don't know).

Is the LTPF List of Positive Integers still a thing?

Yes, and the very first item on this list solves it - and so, you solved it: In the UK, the leasst denomination for a banknote is usually 5 pounds. But on the Isle of Man, which I visited quite a few years ago, while they have the pound as their currency (and most of the money you see there is what you would see in England) , they also use Manx 1 pound notes, a denomination usually only available in coins. I've been to the Isle of Man only for about two weeks, so I haven't much experience to say whether coins or banknotes are a better idea there when it comes to paying a pound, but banknotes surely work well there.

So, you solved it!
markobr

Re: [markobr] I find my joy in the simple things *COUNTED*

Postby wunderland » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Yay!

I used to travel to the UK quite frequently, I should have remembered that they don't have a pound note! Oh well.
wunderland

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles