[peter365] Pushing an Elephant up the Stairs

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[peter365] Pushing an Elephant up the Stairs

Postby peter365 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi there puzzle purveyors I'm back with a light hearted ditty for you .

My wife recently came running into our kitchen in a state of euphoria and undress (almost) only for her euphoria to isntantly turn to dismay. Can you establish the story behind the emotional roller coaster?
peter365

Re: [peter365] Pushing an Elephant up the Stairs

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Did she suddenly remember something? Forget something? See something?

Is time of day relevant? Had she been sleeping? Getting dressed? Undressed? Ready for sleep?

Did she begin her dash in a relevant room? Bedroom? Living room? Water closet? Outside?

Is the amount of light available relevant?

Were you or anyone else present in the kitchen when she entered? Relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby peter365 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi Jen

Did she suddenly remember something? Forget something? See something? An element of this

Is time of day relevant? Had she been sleeping? Getting dressed? Undressed? Yes to this no to rest Ready for sleep?

Did she begin her dash in a relevant room? Bedroom? Living room? Water closet? The bathroom Outside?

Is the amount of light available relevant?No

Were you or anyone else present in the kitchen when she entered? Relevant? Yes me and my three daughters were all in the room and that's relevant
peter365

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Just an element of seeing... was she expecting to see something? Someone? Not expecting to see something? Someone?

Was she intending to go specifically to the kitchen? Or was she just running through every room in the house? Is food relevant? Mealtime? Anything normally found only in a kitchen? Was this before or after supper? Relevant?

Was the reason for her euphoria known to you and your daughters?
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 am

Did she hear something relevant? Something you? or one of your daughters said? Did she mishear something?
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Was her euphoria related to her state of undress? To something she saw in the bathroom? To something she expected to see in the kitchen?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:54 am

Was her dismay caused by disappointment? By a bad situation? By realizing a mistake? Would she be dismayed if she'd been dressed?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 pm

Does the answer concern adulterated cutlery or floral decorations in full splendour?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:39 am

JenBurdoo

Just an element of seeing... was she expecting to see something? Someone? Not expecting to see something? Someone? No to all , she didn't actually see anything relevant while in the bathroom

Was she intending to go specifically to the kitchen? She hadn't originally but she entered the kitchen specifically Or was she just running through every room in the house? No Is food relevant? No Mealtime? No Anything normally found only in a kitchen? Was this before or after supper? Relevant? No to the reaminder and not relevant

Was the reason for her euphoria known to you and your daughters? Only when she subsequently explained it.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:41 am

Trebor

Did she hear something relevant? Yes Something you? or one of your daughters said? Yes, it was something I said Did she mishear something? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:43 am

Balin

Was her euphoria related to her state of undress? No To something she saw in the bathroom? NoTo something she expected to see in the kitchen? Yes
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am

Galfisk

Was her dismay caused by disappointment? Yes , putting it very mildly By a bad situation? Yes By realizing a mistake? Yes , she realised that she'd misunderstood something Would she be dismayed if she'd been dressed? Yes , and she was wearing a towel I should add.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:48 am

Wiz

Does the answer concern adulterated cutlery or floral decorations in full splendour? No spoons were harmed in the making of this puzzle , my wife does keep flowers in full bloom but not relevently to this puzzle. #obligatoryremreference
peter365

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Had she been in the shower or bath? Water availability relevant? Water temperature?
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Are any pets you have relevant? Prospective pets relevant? Does the nature of what you said concern: you? Her? Your daughters? One of your daughters? The family as a whole? Your job? A lottery ticket? A pregnancy announcement? Acceptance into a school? Was it said in jest? In seriousness? Was a prank being played on her? Are homophones relevant? Synonyms? Multiple definitions of something you said? Did you expect her to hear you when you said it? Did you think she'd misunderstand?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:59 am

Did she think you were alone in the kitchen? That someone else was with you? That you were on the phone? Were you in fact in one of these three states?

Did she hear a word for another? Did she suddenly interrupt what she was doing to come in the kitchen? Did her dismay come for the situation that she herself created? Was someone else with you? Did she say something inappropriate in her state of euphoria?
Did she overheated a conversation? Did she feel dismay after you explained her that she misunderstood a word? Or maybe she understood herself (i.e. no words necessary because the situation was self evident)?

Euphoria = she was happy for something that could happen? If so is her source of misunderstood happiness: a travel? a gift? an experience? an object? a news concerning her? a news about someone else?

A thing that I do not understand: did she came undressed only because of her state of euphoria? Or she was undressed because she was making a shower/doing an activity that is made undressed? I mean...is the undressing state a direct consequence of euphoria (i.e. she was euphoric and thus she undressed herself as in Japanese anime) or an indirect one (i.e. she stopped doing what she was doing and rushed in the kitchen almost undressed)?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:04 am

JenBurdoo

Had she been in the shower or bath? She was about to get into the shower Water availability No with a tiny ish relevant? Yes Water temperature? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:10 am

Trebor

Are any pets you have relevant? No Prospective pets relevant? No Does the nature of what you said concern: you? Her? Your daughters? One of your daughters? The family as a whole? Your job? A lottery ticket? This is what she thought I was talking about, very well done A pregnancy announcement? Acceptance into a school? Was it said in jest? It wasn't' actually said , explore this In seriousness? Was a prank being played on her? Are homophones relevant? Synonyms? Multiple definitions of something you said? No to all Did you expect her to hear you when you said it? Yes I shouted her name very loudly and told her to come downDid you think she'd misunderstand? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 am

Earnest

Did she think you were alone in the kitchen? No That someone else was with you? She knew the whole family was in the kitchen having just left thereThat you were on the phone? I wasn't on the phone Were you in fact in one of these three states? See above

Did she hear a word for another? No Did she suddenly interrupt what she was doing to come in the kitchen? Yes Did her dismay come for the situation that she herself created? No she wasn't directly to blame for what happened Was someone else with you? My three daughters Did she say something inappropriate in her state of euphoria? She may have sworn but that was when her euporia turned to dismay :D
Did she overheated a conversation? No she heard me shouting for her to come to the kitchen Did she feel dismay after you explained her that she misunderstood a word? No her dismay was instant on arriving in the kitchem Or maybe she understood herself (i.e. no words necessary because the situation was self evident)? That's exactly it

Euphoria = she was happy for something that could happen? More to do with something that had just happened If so is her source of misunderstood happiness: a travel? a gift? an experience? an object? a news concerning her? a news about someone else?

A thing that I do not understand: did she came undressed only because of her state of euphoria? Or she was undressed because she was making a shower/doing an activity that is made undressed? This I mean...is the undressing state a direct consequence of euphoria (i.e. she was euphoric and thus she undressed herself as in Japanese anime) or an indirect one (i.e. she stopped doing what she was doing and rushed in the kitchen almost undressed)? She's only undressed because she was taking a shower.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi Peter!

Did she think you'd won the lottery?
Lynne

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:48 pm

Were you trying to mislead her when you called to her? Did you expect her to come into the kitchen? To be excited?
JenBurdoo

Postby peter365 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Peter! Hi Lynne , it's been a while, hope you're keeping well.

Did she think you'd won the lottery? She thought I'd won a substantial sum of money
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:11 am

Jenburdoo

Were you trying to mislead her when you called to her? No I had a genuine reason for calling loudly and my intention was not to play a trick Did you expect her to come into the kitchen? Yes To be excited? No I knew she'd be dismayed when she got there.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Peter, all well here. Hope you and your's are keeping well.

Did you hope for a promotion at work that would bring in a higher income?
Lynne

Postby peter365 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi Peter, all well here. Hope you and your's are keeping well.All good here Lynne, interesting times !

Did you hope for a promotion at work that would bring in a higher income? No nothing like that.
peter365

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Did she expect you to be holding something, like a trophy or certificate? Had she previously been led to expect something of the sort? Was she jumping to conclusions? Unwarranted ones?
JenBurdoo

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 am

Jenburdoo

Did she expect you to be holding something, Yopelike a trophy or certificate? No to these Had she previously been led to expect something of the sort? No Was she jumping to conclusions? Unwarranted ones? Yes to both
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:20 am

Did you want her to come quickly? To help you? To solve a problem? To handle an emergency? Was she dismayed because of something negative? Something less positive than she expected? did you know she'd be dismayed? Did you know she'd think you'd won money? Did you intend for her to think so?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 am

Were you holding something? If so, a ticket? Perhaps a negative one, such as a parking ticket? Speeding ticket? Other sort of fine? Did you say something like, "I've got a $[dollar amount] ticket!", and she thought you'd won that amount?
trebor

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 am

Galfisk

Did you want her to come quickly? Yes To help you? To solve a problem? To handle an emergency? This is closest Was she dismayed because of something negative? Yes Something less positive than she expected? did you know she'd be dismayed? Yes Did you know she'd think you'd won money? Yes Did you intend for her to think so? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:59 am

Trebor

Were you holding something? If so, a ticket? I was holding a lottery scatch card Perhaps a negative one, such as a parking ticket? Speeding ticket? Other sort of fine? Did you say something like, "I've got a $[dollar amount] ticket!", and she thought you'd won that amount? No to the rest
peter365

Postby irishelk » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am

Did she know you had a scratch ticket, hence her assumption that you had just won? Had she relevantly given it to you? Had your daughters? Birthday or other celebration at all relevant?

Was your actual reason for calling her related to the lottery at all? Did you need to ask her something? Did you need her to do something? Did you need to tell her something before she got in the shower? Water pressure is off? Hot water is off? (I'd find that quite dismaying!)
irishelk

Postby peter365 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am

Irishelk

Did she know you had a scratch ticket, hence her assumption that you had just won? Yes I had just started to scratch some cards when she went up to the showerHad she relevantly given it to you? Had your daughters? Birthday or other celebration at all relevant? This happened on my 50th birthday in July , i got a lot of cards and some had scratch cards enclosed as little gifts, don't know about where you are but this is a very common practice in Ireland

Was your actual reason for calling her related to the lottery at all? No Did you need to ask her something? No Did you need her to do something? Yes Did you need to tell her something before she got in the shower? Yes very much so Water pressure is off? Hot water is off? (I'd find that quite dismaying!) No to both and considerably worse than those two examples.
peter365

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Were you opening the mail, including your birthday cards but also other things?

"We've just received a bill that says we owe a thousand euros?"

"Dear, did you buy this expensive white elephant we've just received in the mail?"
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Did you need her to bring you something g to scratch the card with?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Did the something you needed to tell her have to do with the shower? The bathroom? Her clothes/undressing?

You needed her to do something--did it have to be done immediately? specifically before she bathed? was someone in danger? was some property in danger? is anyone involved outside of the five of you? Is it relevant that your daughters were present?
irishelk

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:20 am

Jenburdoo

Were you opening the mail, including your birthday cards but also other things? I had finished opening my birthday cards. the only relevant thing that i was doing was scratching lottery tickets

"We've just received a bill that says we owe a thousand euros?" No

"Dear, did you buy this expensive white elephant we've just received in the mail?" And no again I'm afraid.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 am

Trebor

Did you need her to bring you something g to scratch the card with? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 am

IrishElk

Did the something you needed to tell her have to do with the shower? Yes The bathroom? Yes Her clothes/undressing? No

You needed her to do something--did it have to be done immediately? yes specifically before she bathed? Yes was someone in danger? was some property in danger? This is anyone involved outside of the five of you? No Is it relevant that your daughters were present? No
peter365

Postby biograd » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Was the shower drain clogged (so turning it on would eventually flood the bathroom floor)? Was there some sort of leak in the shower pipes?
biograd

Postby peter365 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Biograd

Was the shower drain clogged (so turning it on would eventually flood the bathroom floor)? Not quite Was there some sort of leak in the shower pipes? Very much so

Almost there now
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Did you shout at her not to use the shower because of the leak? And she thought you shouted at her because you'd won on one of the scratch cards?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Balin

Did you shout at her not to use the shower because of the leak? And she thought you shouted at her because you'd won on one of the scratch cards? That'll do nicely so.....

****************************SPOILER****************************

On the morning of my 50th birthday i was opening my cards some of which contained lottery scratch cards. Just as i started to scratch them my wife popped upstairs to have a shower. No sooner had she turned on the water she heard me roaring from the kitchen to turn off the shower and come down to the kitchen as quick as she could. She sprinted down the stairs expecting to be told of some big lottery win only to be greeted by the sight of the water from the shower cascading into to the kitchen due to an unseen crack in the ceiling coupled with a burst pipe upstairs.

She thought i might have won a €1000 or thereabouts but instead we had a €2000 repair job to the shower and kitchen ceiling. Not the best birthday present I've ever had i must confess.

Well done Balin for finishing this off and to everyone else for playing along.

peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles