[WiZ] Card Trick

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Card Trick

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:52 am

Why did I stick a picture of a former African head of state in a greeting card?

Autobiographical. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Card Trick

Postby trebor » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 am

Does it matter specifically which person? Which country? Was it Gaddafi? Mandela? Mugabe? A European person heading a colony?

Were you making a joke? If so, a pun? Did you subsequently send the card to someone? If so, relevant who? A friend? Family member? Co-worker? Customer? Romantic interest? Did this person benefit somehow?

Was the picture a free-standing picture of the person? Was it on a piece of currency? Part of an article you wanted to send? On the flip side of a page that had something important on the other side?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Is the former African head notorious? If so, mainly for having been a former African head? Relevant of which state he Wass the head? If so, please list of world state (assuming that he could also have been head of a state outside Africa).
African head of state = political leader of an African country?

Relevant who was the greeting card for? Was it to celebrate a birthday? An anniversary? Some other event? Was it for a friend of your? For your wife/son/daughter?

To be sure...did you stack it on the front? on the reverse? Did you cut it before sticking it? Did you stick it on a relevant part of the greeting card? Inside? Did you make a gift? If sos relevant what the gift was? Its thee name of the leader connected to the gift?
Is the name of the leader relevant?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Trebor

Does it matter specifically which person? yes Which country? no - although there will be a specific country associated with this leader, of course Was it Gaddafi? Mandela? Mugabe? A European person heading a colony? no to all

Were you making a joke? yes If so, a pun? and yes Did you subsequently send the card to someone? yes If so, relevant who? yes A friend? Family member? Co-worker? this Customer? Romantic interest? Did this person benefit somehow? above and beyond the typical benefits of receiving a card from a co-worker, no

Was the picture a free-standing picture of the person? yes Was it on a piece of currency? Part of an article you wanted to send? On the flip side of a page that had something important on the other side? no to rest

Earnest

Is the former African head notorious? yes If so, mainly for having been a former African head? yes Relevant of which state he Wass the head? Only as an aid to work out who he is If so, please list of world state (assuming that he could also have been head of a state outside Africa). no
African head of state = political leader of an African country? yes

Relevant who was the greeting card for? yes Was it to celebrate a birthday? An anniversary? no to both Some other event? yes Was it for a friend of your? yes (but more importantly a co-worker, as above) For your wife/son/daughter? no

To be sure...did you stack it on the front? on the reverse? no to both Did you cut it before sticking it? assume yes Did you stick it on a relevant part of the greeting card? Inside? yes to both Did you make a gift? not relevantly If sos relevant what the gift was? n/a Its thee name of the leader connected to the gift? n/a, but see next
Is the name of the leader relevant? yes
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Did the co-worker retire? leave the company? get a promotion? a raise? Were they (gender relevant?) transferred to another location? Did they get married? have a child?

Is the head of state Ellen Johnson Sirleaf? If so, a pun on leaf/leave relevant?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Did the co-worker retire? no leave the company? get a promotion? either of these are possible; as this is a true story, I can tell you that they got promoted a raise? no Were they (gender relevant? yes) transferred to another location? Did they get married? have a child? no to both

Is the head of state Ellen Johnson Sirleaf? If so, a pun on leaf/leave relevant? no to all
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm

Is the co-worker H/A/M? H/A/F? Co-worker's name relevant?
Before their promotion, did the two of you work together? Did the promotion (relevantly) mean that you would no longer work together?
Is their old job title relevant? new job title? old tasks? new tasks?

Does the picture replace a word or phrase in a sentence? (such as "I [picture of Immanuel Kant] live without you" in a philosophy-themed Valentine's Day card)
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:30 pm

Is the co-worker H/A/M? yes to all H/A/F? Co-worker's name relevant? yes

So I suppose it could be a female coworker, but few if any women would have this name.

Before their promotion, did the two of you work together? yes, we had a working relationship Did the promotion (relevantly) mean that you would no longer work together? not relevantly
Is their old job title relevant? new job title? old tasks? new tasks? no to all

Does the picture replace a word or phrase in a sentence? yes with a small ish (such as "I [picture of Immanuel Kant] live without you" in a philosophy-themed Valentine's Day card) no, but a gorgeous example
WiZ

Postby Doriana » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Do the co-worker and the head of state share a name? If so, first name? last name?
Does the name of the head of state contain the co-worker's name? (such as Abe in Mugabe, although we've ruled out that specific example already)
Does the pun use the head of state's full name? first name? last name?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Do the co-worker and the head of state share a name? yes If so, first name? yope last name? yope
Does the name of the head of state contain the co-worker's name? (such as Abe in Mugabe, although we've ruled out that specific example already) no, to interpret your question by your example
Does the pun use the head of state's full name? yes first name? last name? and thus yes to both
WiZ

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:00 am

Was the co-worker's firstname Jonathan? Was the head of state Goodluck Jonathan?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 am

Was the co-worker's firstname Jonathan? Was the head of state Goodluck Jonathan?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

***** SPOILER *****

I was writing in a card for my colleague, Jonathan, who had just been promoted. I wanted to say 'Good luck, Jonathan', so I inserted a picture of former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan.

Congratulations, Balin. I can't even blame this one on our reading the same subreddits. Thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Card Trick [SIGNED OFF]

Postby klondike mary » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Clever one.
If this had not been solved, I was going to make a WAG of Idi Amin.
Wiz, I guess that proves we both have a strange sense of humor - practically a requirement for being on this forum.
klondike mary

Re: [WiZ] Card Trick [SIGNED OFF]

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:48 am

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Very clever. I hope your colleague had a nice laugh of appreciation.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles