[Doriana] So it started there

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] So it started there

Postby Doriana » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:08 am

If I had taken the bike, I would have spent more money at the supermarket today. Why?

True story, I = Doriana = H/A/F
Last edited by Doriana on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] So it started there

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:49 am

"taken the bike" = ridden the bike? If so, to the supermarket? To another relevant location? From another relevant location?
Did you spend any money at the supermarket today? If so, is it relevant what you purchased? Is it relevant what you would have purchased had you taken the bike? Would you in fact have made more purchases had you taken the bike?
"bike" = bicycle? Motorcycle?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am

To be sure: I am assuming that "taken" it's not like "bought". So the statement is not "If I had bought the bike (at the supermarket), I would have spent more money at the supermarket today." Right?
Again spend more money = in exchange of a service? in exchange of more goods? in exchange of nothing? Maybe you would have needed to buy the ticket for the metro since it was raining outside when you ended up your purchases? Did you go to the supermarket? Did you go there to buy goods? To have a service (e.g. hairdresser)? Would it have make sense to go to the supermarket with bike (e.g. maybe not because you went to te hairdresser so going by bike to the supermarket would have been useless since you needed to wear the helmet on the way back)?

the bike = rent a bike? your own bike? The bike of someone else? Relevant?

Had you taken the bike, would you have expected to spend more at the supermarket? If so, also had you not the intention to go to the supermarket? Had you taken the bike would you have gone to the supermarket where you usually go (assuming that you usually go to the supermarket)

today --> only today? Also other days? If not, Black Friday relevant?

Assuming that you have taken the bike to the supermarket, and that you bought something in thee supermarket, relevant that you would have needed to take that you purchased on the bike (which could be more uncomfortable than transporting it by car/other means)?

Had you travelled by public means of transportations would you have spent more money at the supermarket? Is the supermarket near your house? Do you usually go there by bike/foot/other means?

more money = one euro more? one cent more? More than 20 euros? more than 100 euros? more than 5 euros?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 am

Relevant what you did take instead of the bike? If so: feet? Car? Bus? Moped? MC? Train? Trolley? Would you have bought more stuff? More expensive stuff? spent money without getting stuff? WAG: could you not buy frozen goods, because your non-bike means of transport would lead it to thaw?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:23 pm

Balin
"taken the bike" = ridden the bike? Yes If so, to the supermarket? Yes To another relevant location? From another relevant location? From home, not really relevant though
Did you spend any money at the supermarket today? Yes If so, is it relevant what you purchased? Yesish Is it relevant what you would have purchased had you taken the bike? Yes Would you in fact have made more purchases had you taken the bike? No, but...
"bike" = bicycle? This Motorcycle?

Earnest
To be sure: I am assuming that "taken" it's not like "bought". So the statement is not "If I had bought the bike (at the supermarket), I would have spent more money at the supermarket today." Right? Correct
Again spend more money = in exchange of a service? in exchange of more goods? in exchange of nothing? No to all Maybe you would have needed to buy the ticket for the metro since it was raining outside when you ended up your purchases? No Did you go to the supermarket? Yes Did you go there to buy goods? Yes To have a service (e.g. hairdresser)? No Would it have make sense to go to the supermarket with bike (e.g. maybe not because you went to te hairdresser so going by bike to the supermarket would have been useless since you needed to wear the helmet on the way back)? It would have made sense

the bike = rent a bike? your own bike? This The bike of someone else? Relevant? Not really

Had you taken the bike, would you have expected to spend more at the supermarket? Yes If so, also had you not the intention to go to the supermarket? Please rephrase Had you taken the bike would you have gone to the supermarket where you usually go (assuming that you usually go to the supermarket) Yes

today --> only today? Also other days? It happened only on the day of the puzzle statement, but could have happened on any other day as well If not, Black Friday relevant? No

Assuming that you have taken the bike to the supermarket, and that you bought something in thee supermarket, relevant that you would have needed to take that you purchased on the bike (which could be more uncomfortable than transporting it by car/other means)? Not relevant

Had you travelled by public means of transportations would you have spent more money at the supermarket? Difficult to say Is the supermarket near your house? Yes Do you usually go there by bike/foot/other means? I usually go by bike or walk there

more money = one euro more? one cent more? More than 20 euros? more than 100 euros? more than 5 euros? Around 5 euros more

GalFisk
Relevant what you did take instead of the bike? Yes If so: feet? This Car? Bus? Moped? MC? Train? Trolley? Would you have bought more stuff? No More expensive stuff? Yes spent money without getting stuff? No WAG: could you not buy frozen goods, because your non-bike means of transport would lead it to thaw? Good idea, but no
Doriana

Postby wunderland » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Had you taken the bike, would you have bought different and more expensive items (e.g. different brands)? or paid more for the same items?
If the former, would you have bought the more expensive items because you preferred them? or because the cheaper alternatives would have been unavailable?
Did it take you longer to reach the supermarket on foot? did you arrive there later than you would have had you cycled? or did you leave earlier to arrive at the same time? relevant?
Would you have bought a more expensive item that was sold out by the time you arrived on foot?
wunderland

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 am

To be clear in my understanding: say item A cost 7. You went by feet and bought item A for 2? Or you bought item B which is the same of item A but belonging to another brand/of lower quality/with a relevant difference with respect to A and spend 2 rather than 7?

Is the puzzle statement valid had you taken the bike but had you travelled at the same speed (or had spend the same amount of time) as you had traveling by feet? Has your bike a bicycle basket relevantly? Is your bike relevantly electric?

Relevant at what time you went to the supermarket?

Around 5 euros more --> buying loose items rather than in bulk relevant? Are expiration dates relevant?
Would you have spend more in: technology? grocery? food (fruit? meet?)? food for animals? newspapers? sport item? Items for the bike? books? health care items? items that you usually buy fo house? Others?
Did you buy a sub-brand that you usually not buy? Were you happy spending 5 euros less? Indifferent? Sad? Was there a discount? If so for everyone? Or maybe incentives (e.g. the more the number of steps counted by the phone the more the discount proportionally)?

Was someone else that you know going to thee supermarket? If so by bike/other means? Was the expenses of 5 euros more to be considered an "ordinary expense"? I mean...maybe the other person arrived before you and offered to you a drink for 5 euros, whereas had you arrived before him/her you would have done the same (spending you 5 euro instead of him/her)
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:42 am

Would you have bought different stuff? The same stuff, but to a higher price? Did you relevantly arrive later because you walked? Relevantly carry stuff differently? Did you arrive late and a sale had just started? Arrive late and the expensive brand you like had just run out, so you had to make do with a cheaper alternative?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm

wunderland
Had you taken the bike, would you have bought different and more expensive items (e.g. different brands)? Yes, small ish (see answers to Earnest's questions below) or paid more for the same items? No
If the former, would you have bought the more expensive items because you preferred them? Yes or because the cheaper alternatives would have been unavailable? No
Did it take you longer to reach the supermarket on foot? Yes did you arrive there later than you would have had you cycled? Yes or did you leave earlier to arrive at the same time? No relevant? Yes
Would you have bought a more expensive item that was sold out by the time you arrived on foot? No, but getting OTRT

Earnest
To be clear in my understanding: say item A cost 7. You went by feet and bought item A for 2? No Or you bought item B which is the same of item A but belonging to another brand/of lower quality/with a relevant difference with respect to A and spend 2 rather than 7? The math is correct, but the item is not quite the same. Explore.

Is the puzzle statement valid had you taken the bike but had you travelled at the same speed (or had spend the same amount of time) as you had traveling by feet? No Has your bike a bicycle basket relevantly? Is your bike relevantly electric? Irrel to both

Relevant at what time you went to the supermarket? Yes

Around 5 euros more --> buying loose items rather than in bulk relevant? Are expiration dates relevant? No to both
Would you have spend more in: technology? grocery? This food (fruit? meet?)? food for animals? newspapers? sport item? Items for the bike? books? health care items? items that you usually buy fo house? Others?
Did you buy a sub-brand that you usually not buy? Yope Were you happy spending 5 euros less? Indifferent? Sad? A bit sad Was there a discount? If so for everyone? Or maybe incentives (e.g. the more the number of steps counted by the phone the more the discount proportionally)? No/irrel to rest

Was someone else that you know going to thee supermarket? If so by bike/other means? Was the expenses of 5 euros more to be considered an "ordinary expense"? I mean...maybe the other person arrived before you and offered to you a drink for 5 euros, whereas had you arrived before him/her you would have done the same (spending you 5 euro instead of him/her) No to these

GalFisk
Would you have bought different stuff? Yes The same stuff, but to a higher price? No Did you relevantly arrive later because you walked? Yes Relevantly carry stuff differently? Irrel Did you arrive late and a sale had just started? No Arrive late and the expensive brand you like had just run out, so you had to make do with a cheaper alternative? No, but getting OTRT
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 pm

So something relevantly happened between what would've been the bike arrival time, and the actual on-foot arrival time, right? Did something open? Close? Start? End? Run out? Arrive in stock? Did a price change? Did a time window open? Close? Did you consider the puzzle event good? Bad? Neutral? Both? Relevant why you walked? Did you walk because you intended for the puzzle event to occur?
GalFisk

Postby wunderland » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Does the supermarket have an off-licence (alcohol) section that closes at a certain time? (edit) relevant?
Pandemic-related restrictions on retail relevant?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:46 pm

GalFisk
So something relevantly happened between what would've been the bike arrival time, and the actual on-foot arrival time, right? Yesish Did something open? Close? This, see below Start? End? Run out? Arrive in stock? Did a price change? Did a time window open? Close? This Did you consider the puzzle event good? Bad? This Neutral? Both? Relevant why you walked? No Did you walk because you intended for the puzzle event to occur? No

wunderland
Does the supermarket have an off-licence (alcohol) section that closes at a certain time? Yes! (edit) relevant? Very much so
Pandemic-related restrictions on retail relevant? Yes!

Excellent round! Almost there - there's just one more element to it
Doriana

Postby wunderland » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Did the opening hours of the alcohol section change because of the pandemic? If so, were you aware of this change before you left for the supermarket?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Did the opening hours of the alcohol section change because of the pandemic? Yes If so, were you aware of this change before you left for the supermarket? Yes
Doriana

Postby wunderland » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:54 pm

You wanted to buy alcohol?
Relevant what kind? (as in wine/beer/etc)
Relevant what you wanted it for? To drink? To use as a food ingredient? For some other purpose?
But the alcohol section was closed? so you bought something else instead? Relevant what? A non alcoholic drink?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:08 pm

You wanted to buy alcohol? Yes
Relevant what kind? (as in wine/beer/etc) Yes, wine
Relevant what you wanted it for? For context To drink? This To use as a food ingredient? For some other purpose?
But the alcohol section was closed? Yope! so you bought something else instead? Yes Relevant what? Yes A non alcoholic drink? No
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 am

Did you buy some other wine? Some other alcoholic drink? Some non-drink alcohol? Did you buy from a different store?
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:51 am

Was there a separated wine department? Was there a queue before it due to restricted access?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:35 am

Did you buy some other wine? No Some other alcoholic drink? Yes, a bottle of beer Some non-drink alcohol? Did you buy from a different store? No to rest

Was there a separated wine department? No, just an aisle Was there a queue before it due to restricted access? No
Doriana

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 am

Was the wine aisle closed when you arrived? Was there a restriction as to when wine could be purchased? To how much alcohol could be purchased?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:54 am

Was the wine aisle closed when you arrived? Not when I arrived at the supermarket, but it was by the time I got there within the supermarket Was there a restriction as to when wine could be purchased? Yes To how much alcohol could be purchased? No
Doriana

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:03 pm

So by the time you reached the wine aisle, it was closed and you had to buy beer instead? Whereas if you'd ridden your bike, you'd have reached the aisle before it closed?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:27 pm

So by the time you reached the wine aisle, it was closed and you had to buy beer instead? Whereas if you'd ridden your bike, you'd have reached the aisle before it closed? Yes, there's one more detail left, but I think I can call the

********SPOILER********

Due to pandemic-related restrictions, stores can't sell alcohol after 8 pm, so my local supermarket starts closing their alcohol aisles around 7:50. The other day, I wanted to pick up a bottle of wine for a virtual board game night, but by the time I got there, they had already closed the wine aisle. The beer aisle was still open, though, so I was able to grab a bottle. If I had taken the bike, I would have gotten there five minutes earlier and would have bought a € 7 bottle of wine instead of a € 2 bottle of beer.
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles