[Doriana] Old Flame

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Old Flame

Postby Doriana » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:45 pm

This month marks my 10th anniversary on the LTPF! Let's celebrate 10 years of me repeatedly disappearing and reappearing on the forum with a rerun of my very first LTPF puzzle!

She told him that she loved him. He knew she would die.

she = H/A/F, he = H/A/M
Last edited by Doriana on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Old Flame

Postby GalFisk » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Congrats!
Die: relevant when? Why? Did she actually love him? Did her telling him this: determine her fate? Make him know about her fate? Make him decide her fate? Did she tell him face to face? Relevant? Relevant when she told him? Where? Why?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 pm

Congrats! Thanks!
Die: relevant when? Yope Why? Yes Did she actually love him? Yesish Did her telling him this: determine her fate? Make him know about her fate? This Make him decide her fate? Did she tell him face to face? Yes Relevant? Yes Relevant when she told him? No Where? Why? Yes to both
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 am

Did he know, or strongly suspect, that she would only tell him she loved him if she knew she was going to die? Would there have been consequences if she had told him she loved him and then lived? Is her manner of death relevant? If so, incurable illness/disease? Injury? Murkder? Execution? Accident due to transport and/or adventure?

Is the nature of their established relationship relevant? Is it romantic or platonic love?

Are they on the verge of an important decision or turning point in her or his life? If so, is it related to the nature of her death (e.g. she is being deployed in the military and dies in active duty)?
WiZ

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 am

Does this take place in real life? 'Death flags' in fiction relevant?
AlbatrossLover

Postby GalFisk » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:56 am

Did she know she would die? After telling him, would she die within: seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Years? A lifetime? Was she uttering a code phrase? Would she die from: war? Murder? Execution? Accident? Illness? Injury? Suicide?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:25 am

WiZ
Did he know, or strongly suspect, that she would only tell him she loved him if she knew she was going to die? No and FA (see below) Would there have been consequences if she had told him she loved him and then lived? Irrel Is her manner of death relevant? Yes If so, incurable illness/disease? This, slight ish Injury? Murkder? Execution? Accident due to transport and/or adventure?

Is the nature of their established relationship relevant? Yes Is it romantic or platonic love? She loves him romantically, again slight ish

Are they on the verge of an important decision or turning point in her or his life? If so, is it related to the nature of her death (e.g. she is being deployed in the military and dies in active duty)? No to these

AlbatrossLover
Does this take place in real life? It's taken from an episode of a TV series which is in turn based on something that happened in real life 'Death flags' in fiction relevant? No

GalFisk
Did she know she would die? No After telling him, would she die within: seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Years? Months or years A lifetime? Was she uttering a code phrase? No Would she die from: war? Murder? Execution? Accident? Illness? This Injury? Suicide?
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Is the manner of her speech relevant to his knowledge? Or the content of her speech? Or the context surrounding when or how she decides to tell him? Is her physical capacity failing? Mental? Memory?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm

Is the manner of her speech relevant to his knowledge? No Or the content of her speech? Or the context surrounding when or how she decides to tell him? Yes to both Is her physical capacity failing? Mental? Memory? At the point of the puzzle, none of them, but eventually, potentially all of them (I think)
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Relevant which illness? If so: cancer? Infectious disease? Genetic? Poisoning? Radiation poisoning? When she told him, did she already have the illness? Did he give the illness to her? Relevant how she got it?
GalFisk

Postby TDGperson » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Will she die in real life? in a video game?

Did she tell him face to face because she is unable to use some other method of communication? Unwilling to? Is face-to-face the easiest method of communication available?

Is it relevant how she got the illness? Was she exposed to a radioactive substance? Did she eat something? Breathe in something? Touch something?

Did he know she was going to die soon? (as opposed to "she will die because everyone eventually dies")

Did the illness cause her to say "I love you"? Does the illness cause people to say "I love you" to other people?
TDGperson

Postby wunderland » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Did she become ill because she opened her mouth to speak? allowing a pathogen / toxin to enter through her mouth?
wunderland

Postby Doriana » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:33 pm

GalFisk
Relevant which illness? Yes If so: cancer? Infectious disease? This Genetic? Poisoning? Radiation poisoning? When she told him, did she already have the illness? Yes Did he give the illness to her? No Relevant how she got it? No

TDGperson
Will she die in real life? This in a video game?

Did she tell him face to face because she is unable to use some other method of communication? Yope Unwilling to? No Is face-to-face the easiest method of communication available? Probably, and it's the expected method of communication

Is it relevant how she got the illness? No Was she exposed to a radioactive substance? Did she eat something? Breathe in something? Touch something? No to all

Did he know she was going to die soon? (as opposed to "she will die because everyone eventually dies") Yes

Did the illness cause her to say "I love you"? Yes Does the illness cause people to say "I love you" to other people? Not necessarily, but it can

wunderland
Did she become ill because she opened her mouth to speak? allowing a pathogen / toxin to enter through her mouth? No to both
Doriana

Postby TDGperson » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:37 pm

There is an outbreak of a disease that compels people to say "I love you" to random people and kills them within a year. As a result , the two people in this puzzle decided to never say "I love you" to each other. When she said it, he knew she had the disease and would die in a year.
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:03 pm

There is an outbreak of a disease that compels people to say "I love you" to random people and kills them within a year. No As a result , the two people in this puzzle decided to never say "I love you" to each other. No and FA When she said it, he knew she had the disease and would die in a year. But yes
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:37 pm

Did the two of them know each other beforehand? Were they friends? Romantically involved with each other? Did she love him before the disease? Did she think he was someone else?
AlbatrossLover

Postby TDGperson » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Is he her doctor? before she said it, did he know she had the disease ? Did she know? Is it only possible to say "I love you" when you have the disease? only possible to say it to him?

In the society they live in , is it taboo to say "I love you" unless you're terminally ill?
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:00 pm

Did the two of them know each other beforehand? No, good question! Were they friends? Romantically involved with each other? Did she love him before the disease? Did she think he was someone else? No to rest

Is he her doctor? Yes before she said it, did he know she had the disease ? Did she know? Is it only possible to say "I love you" when you have the disease? only possible to say it to him? No to all

In the society they live in , is it taboo to say "I love you" unless you're terminally ill? No

Very good round of questions, I think you have all the pieces!
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:27 am

Does she have something like Alzheimer's/dementia? And she thinks she's in a different situation where it's appropriate to say I love you?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Does she have something like Alzheimer's No/dementia? Noish And she thinks she's in a different situation where it's appropriate to say I love you? No
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Is she hallucinating? Delirious? Is the fact that she said I love you enough for the doctor to realise what illness she has and that she'll die from it? Did it show that an illness he already suspected was at a terminal stage?
AlbatrossLover

Postby TDGperson » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:34 pm

(he is her doctor but they don't know each other and he didn't know she had the disease beforehand. that's strange)

Did he interact with her without realizing it? Did he only know her as "anonymous internet person"? Did they interact remotely? Did anyone relevantly travel a long distance?

Did she say it out of genuine love? Did any of them think the other person was someone else?

Is any of them famous? Did she say anything other than "I love you"?
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Is she hallucinating? Delirious? No to both Is the fact that she said I love you enough for the doctor to realise what illness she has and that she'll die from it? No, he ran some tests to confirm his suspicion Did it show that an illness he already suspected was at a terminal stage? Noish

(he is her doctor but they don't know each other and he didn't know she had the disease beforehand. that's strange) Well, they are meeting for the first time at the time of the puzzle statement

Did he interact with her without realizing it? Did he only know her as "anonymous internet person"? Did they interact remotely? Did anyone relevantly travel a long distance? No to all

Did she say it out of genuine love? Noish, I'd say Did any of them think the other person was someone else? No

Is any of them famous? No Did she say anything other than "I love you"? Yes
Doriana

Postby TDGperson » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Is the other thing she said "When I say that I love you, it means that I'm terminally ill and want you to be my doctor"?

Does this take place at a hospital? Did she go to the hospital? Is it because she thinks the has the disease? Did she think she had some disease (not specifically which one)? Did she think she was perfectly healthy? Did she meet him for the first time in the hospital?

Before she said I love you, did he already know she had a disease? Did she describe her symptoms to him? Did she have any symptoms at all at the time she said it?
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:54 pm

Is the other thing she said "When I say that I love you, it means that I'm terminally ill and want you to be my doctor"? No

Does this take place at a hospital? Yes Did she go to the hospital? Yes Is it because she thinks the has the disease? See next answer Did she think she had some disease (not specifically which one)? Yes Did she think she was perfectly healthy? No Did she meet him for the first time in the hospital? Yes

Before she said I love you, did he already know she had a disease? He might have suspected it Did she describe her symptoms to him? Yes Did she have any symptoms at all at the time she said it? Yes
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Did she tell him that one of the symptoms she'd been experiencing involved randomly saying 'I love you'? Does she only say this in certain situations? Did the doctor intentionally do something to trigger this response as a test?

Does her saying 'I love you' show something is wrong with her cognitive capabilites? Sense of sight? Ability to speak?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Did she tell him that one of the symptoms she'd been experiencing involved randomly saying 'I love you'? No Does she only say this in certain situations? Yes Did the doctor intentionally do something to trigger this response as a test? No

Does her saying 'I love you' show something is wrong with her cognitive capabilites? Noish Sense of sight? Ability to speak? No to rest
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:33 pm

Does she say 'I love you' at the same time she's experiencing another symptom of her illness? When she's feeling pain? When she's light-headed/drowsy?
AlbatrossLover

Postby TDGperson » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:41 am

Did she fall in love with him during the hospital meeting? Is her mental status normal during the conversation? Did anything happen to her during the hospital visit?

Are the specific symptoms relevant?
TDGperson

Postby trebor » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Does she actually speak out loud? Does she sign “I love you”?

Does the disease impact speech? Muscle movement? Is it a well-known disease? Is it viral? Is it communicated via the air? Is it one most people who get it die from? Is her age relevant?
trebor

Postby Doriana » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:00 pm

AlbatrossLover
Does she say 'I love you' at the same time she's experiencing another symptom of her illness? Difficult to answer. She's experiencing other effects as well, but they might be considered part of the same symptom When she's feeling pain? When she's light-headed/drowsy? No to these

TDGperson
Did she fall in love with him during the hospital meeting? DOYD of "fall in love" (see my earlier answer to whether she said this out of genuine love) Is her mental status normal during the conversation? No Did anything happen to her during the hospital visit? No

Are the specific symptoms relevant? Only the one that causes her to say "I love you"

trebor
Does she actually speak out loud? Yes Does she sign “I love you”?

Does the disease impact speech? Muscle movement? Irrel to these Is it a well-known disease? Yes Is it viral? No Is it communicated via the air? No Is it one most people who get it die from? No, and BLOOPER: I said earlier that the disease is incurable, but that's not true. However, the patient refuses treatment Is her age relevant? Somewhat

I think you're all dancing around the solution because you have all the information that you need, I think. I could declare this solved, but I'll wait and see if anyone wants to put the pieces together
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Is the disease sometying like cancer? A brain tumor?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Doriana » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:21 pm

Is the disease sometying like cancer? No A brain tumor? No, but the effects are similar
Doriana

Postby AlbatrossLover » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Is the disease the result of a virus? Bacteria? Parasite? Relevant why she refuses treatment? Because it would simply be too intense/not worth it at her age/condition?
AlbatrossLover

Postby trebor » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 pm

Had she never fallen in love, and she wanted to say “I love you” to someone and have it said in return before she died?

Trying to figure out how the doctor didn’t know she had the disease until the moment she said those words, and through her saying those words he figured it out. Or am I being too literal here, with the doctor not knowing before she said the words? Had he come into the room to deliver some news? Run some tests? Give her treatment? Is it relevant why she refuses treatment? If so, exhaustion? Religious beliefs? Danger it would pose to someone else?
trebor

Postby TDGperson » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:28 pm

She goes to a doctor because she is ill with some disease. The doctor tells her that there is a treatment, but she will die if she doesn't get it. She refuses it and says "I love you". The doctor knows that she will die since she refused the treatment.
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:31 pm

AlbatrossLover
Is the disease the result of a virus? Bacteria? This Parasite? Relevant why she refuses treatment? Somewhat Because it would simply be too intense No/not worth it at her age/condition? DOYD of "not worth it"

trebor
Had she never fallen in love, and she wanted to say “I love you” to someone and have it said in return before she died? No

Trying to figure out how the doctor didn’t know she had the disease until the moment she said those words, and through her saying those words he figured it out. Or am I being too literal here, with the doctor not knowing before she said the words? Her saying the words strengthened his suspicion Had he come into the room to deliver some news? No Run some tests? No, but he decided to run tests after she told him she loved him Give her treatment? No Is it relevant why she refuses treatment? Somewhat If so, exhaustion? Religious beliefs? Danger it would pose to someone else? No to all

TDGperson
She goes to a doctor because she is ill with some disease. The doctor tells her that there is a treatment, but she will die if she doesn't get it. She refuses it and says "I love you". The doctor knows that she will die since she refused the treatment. No, she says "I love you" before refusing treatment

The puzzle statement is somewhat confusing because the disease itself is not a death sentence and the whole "refusing treatment" thing will probably only lead you astray. In hindsight, the wording of the puzzle statement is probably not very good, but it was my first puzzle after all... Sorry for the confusion!
Doriana

Postby trebor » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Is she particularly old? Particularly young? Does she have Alzheimer’s or dementia? Does she think she’s talking to someone else? Is she hallucinating?
trebor

Postby Doriana » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Is she particularly old? This Particularly young? Does she have Alzheimer’s No or dementia? Not yet Does she think she’s talking to someone else? Is she hallucinating? No to these
Doriana

Postby TDGperson » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:17 am

Here's what I think the time line is: is this correct?
1. She experiences symptoms of a non-lethal disease caused by bacterial infection
2. She goes to the doctor and describes the symptoms
3. He suspects it might be the disease. He suggests some treatment
4. She refuses the treatment. Then says "I love you", but not out of genuine love
5. The "I love you" provides further evidence that it's this specific disease. The doctor does some tests to confirm it.
6. The doctor realizes she will die from the disease.

Is the disease fatal without treatment? Does she suffer from anxiety or depression? Is she agitated? Is she relevantly rich or poor? Is money relevant?
TDGperson

Postby Doriana » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 am

Here's what I think the time line is: is this correct?
1. She experiences symptoms of a non-lethal disease caused by bacterial infection Yes
2. She goes to the doctor and describes the symptoms Yes, but see below
3. He suspects it might be the disease. He suggests some treatment Yes
4. She refuses the treatment. Then says "I love you", but not out of genuine love No, she says "I love you" before refusing treatment
5. The "I love you" provides further evidence that it's this specific disease. The doctor does some tests to confirm it. No, he runs the tests before suggesting treatment
6. The doctor realizes she will die from the disease. Yes

Is the disease fatal without treatment? Yes Does she suffer from anxiety or depression? Is she agitated? Is she relevantly rich or poor? Is money relevant? No/irrel to rest

As you've discovered all important elements, I can declare the

********SPOILER********

An old woman goes to the ER because she has been feeling unusually young and vigorous lately. She also tells the doctor that she's been crushing on younger guys, starts flirting with the doctor and tells him that she loves him. The doctor suspects that her heightened libido is a symptom of neurosyphilis-related brain damage. Tests confirm the diagnosis and she admits to having contracted syphilis as a young woman. However, she refuses treatment because she likes being "doomed to feel good for the rest of her life", as the doctor puts it.

Based on S01E08 of House M.D., which is based on a real case reported in one of Oliver Sacks's popular science books.
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles