[Enjay] Life is a Rollercoaster

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Enjay] Life is a Rollercoaster

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Recently I went through the following emotions within the space of about 60 seconds:

Hope --> Happiness --> Confusion --> Annoyance --> Hope

If I'd been paying more attention, it wouldn't have happened.

What was going on?
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Life is a Rollercoaster

Postby TDGperson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:49 pm

Hope : that something would happen? that you'll get out of a bad situation? someone else?

Second hope : for the same thing as the first?

Confusion ? about what you're seeing? A certain situation? A certain concept?

Annoyance : something will hinder your ability to do something you want to do? An annoying sound such as a repetitive noise?
TDGperson

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Hope : that something would happen? Yes that you'll get out of a bad situation? No someone else? Yesish

Second hope : for the same thing as the first? Yes

Confusion ? about what you're seeing? No A certain situation? Yes A certain concept? No

Annoyance : something will hinder your ability to do something you want to do? An annoying sound such as a repetitive noise? No to both
Enjay

Postby AlbatrossLover » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 pm

If you had been paying more attention, would you have felt hopeful without experiencing any of the other emotions? Not felt anything at all?

Are sports relevant? A game?
AlbatrossLover

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 am

Were you engaged in a relevant activity at the time? One related to the emotions?
JenBurdoo

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:56 am

AlbatrossLover
If you had been paying more attention, would you have felt hopeful without experiencing any of the other emotions? Yes Not felt anything at all? No

Are sports relevant? A game? No to both

JenBurdoo
Were you engaged in a relevant activity at the time? One related to the emotions? Yes to both
Enjay

Postby wunderland » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Hope : that something would happen? Yes
Happiness: because you thought something had happened?
Confusion: as to whether something had happened or not?
Annoyance: because something had not happened?
If so, same something in all cases?
Politics relevant? COVID-19 relevant?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Hope : that something would happen? Yes

Happiness: because you thought something had happened? Yes
Confusion: as to whether something had happened or not? Yope
Annoyance: because something had not happened? Noish
If so, same something in all cases? Same "something" where the "something" is relevant
Politics relevant? COVID-19 relevant? No to both
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Were you involved in a routine activity? A leisure activity? Were you working at the time? Learning something? Doing volunteer work?

Were you hopeful on your own behalf? Friends or family? Society/countries in general? A team or group of some sort?

Was there a lot at stake? Was this something trivial? Would this be something that people who are otherwise more or less equal could have quite unequal levels of emotional investment in?

Could this scenario conceivably happen again within the next year?
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Were you involved in a routine activity? I'd say no, DOYD of routine A leisure activity? Yes Were you working at the time? No Learning something? No Doing volunteer work? No

Were you hopeful on your own behalf? Friends or family? Society/countries in general? A team or group of some sort? No to all!

Was there a lot at stake? No Was this something trivial? Yes Would this be something that people who are otherwise more or less equal could have quite unequal levels of emotional investment in? Yes

Could this scenario conceivably happen again within the next year? Yes
Enjay

Postby GalFisk » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:45 am

Paying more attention: to a person? People? Text? Speech? a screen? A book? Yourself? A movie? A song?
GalFisk

Postby Enjay » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:12 am

Paying more attention: to a person? Yesish People? Text? Yesish Speech? Yes a screen? Yope A book? Yesish Yourself? A movie? A song? No to all others
Enjay

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Are you listening to something? Music? An audiobook?

Did you have a misunderstanding? Is the annoyance because you realized you had the misunderstanding?
Hobbsicle

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 pm

Are you listening to something? Yes Music? An audiobook? Yes

Did you have a misunderstanding? Yes Is the annoyance because you realized you had the misunderstanding? Yes
Enjay

Postby irishelk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:05 pm

Are you hopeful that something will happen within the narrative of the book? To the characters? Are you hopeful that something specific will be mentioned? Is it a novel? Non-fiction? Relevant?

Does the misunderstanding occur because of technology? Because of something the audiobook reader says? Or another sound they make? Do they say something that is not in the text of the book? Do you mishear something? Is the sound of the book drowned out at any point?
irishelk

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 pm

Are you hopeful that something will happen within the narrative of the book? Yes To the characters? Yes Are you hopeful that something specific will be mentioned? Yope Is it a novel? This Non-fiction? Relevant? Yes

Does the misunderstanding occur because of technology? Yesish Because of something the audiobook reader says? Yes Or another sound they make? No Do they say something that is not in the text of the book? Yes Do you mishear something? No Is the sound of the book drowned out at any point? No
Enjay

Postby biograd » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 am

Something the audiobook reader says that is not in the text of the book--a page number? a file name? a punctuation mark whose name is literally spoken?
biograd

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Something the audiobook reader says that is not in the text of the book--a page number? a file name? a punctuation mark whose name is literally spoken? No to all
Enjay

Postby wunderland » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Is it an error? an instruction on how to continue listening (eg download the next episode / switch CDs etc)? a credit or copyright notice? a chapter title? an advertisement?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:38 am

Is it an error? Yope - something did go wrong but it isn't an error message if that's what you mean
An instruction on how to continue listening (eg download the next episode / switch CDs etc)? a credit or copyright notice? a chapter title? an advertisement? No to all these
Enjay

Postby wunderland » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:51 pm

I guess I meant: is it something the reader said but didn't intend to record?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am

I guess I meant: is it something the reader said but didn't intend to record? I see - this is a no.
Enjay

Postby wunderland » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:43 pm

Relevant what technology you were using to listen to the audiobook? if so: phone? tablet? PC? CD player? MP3 player? car stereo?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Relevant what technology you were using to listen to the audiobook? if so: phone? tablet? PC? CD player? MP3 player? car stereo? Somewhat - it was on a phone, something similar could probably have happened on other devices though.
Enjay

Postby irishelk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Hm, this is a puzzling one...Did it sound like something taking place in the narrative? Perhaps a character name?

Did the reader say one word? A sentence? Are they announcing a transition of some kind? Narrating something happening on their end, outside the text (e.g. "I'm turning to the back of the book" or "I'm now recording in a different studio")? Is this an audiobook where for the most part, only the text itself is being spoken? Or is other commentary occurring throughout?
irishelk

Postby Enjay » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Hm, this is a puzzling one...Did it sound like something taking place in the narrative? Yes Perhaps a character name? No

Did the reader say one word? A sentence? Several sentences, and they would have said more if I hadn't realised what had happened
Are they announcing a transition of some kind? Narrating something happening on their end, outside the text (e.g. "I'm turning to the back of the book" or "I'm now recording in a different studio")? No to all Is this an audiobook where for the most part, only the text itself is being spoken? Yes - assume that the narrator never says anything that isn't in the text of the book they're reading Or is other commentary occurring throughout? No
Enjay

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Did the reader warn that the battery was running low?
Balin

Postby wunderland » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Did you accidentally skip to a different part of the book? Or a different book?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:15 pm

Did the reader warn that the battery was running low? No

Did you accidentally skip to a different part of the book? No Or a different book? Yes!

You've got most of it now - just need to put it together.
Enjay

Postby wunderland » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 am

Okay, so:
- You had two audiobooks on your phone and you were listening to one, hoping that something would happen in the story?
- You accidentally switched to the other book, and initially didn't notice? because they were read by the same person? or maybe the first book had multiple readers, so it wasn't surprising to hear a new voice? and you thought the thing you were hoping for had indeed happened? because something similar did happen in the second book? and this made you happy?
- The second book continued, and stopped seeming to make sense as a continuation of where you had left off in the first? at which point you became confused?
- You then realized what had happened and became annoyed?
- Finally you resumed listening to the first book and hoping for the thing to happen? perhaps the second book was a sequel to the first, so you now knew the thing would happen eventually? or else you just resumed your original hope, not knowing how the story would go?
ETA: It wouldn't have happened if you'd been paying more attention: to the story, so that you would have noticed the inconsistency immediately? or to the phone, so you wouldn't have accidentally switched books?
Anything else left to discover?
wunderland

Postby Enjay » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 pm

Okay, so:
- You had two audiobooks on your phone and you were listening to one, hoping that something would happen in the story?
- You accidentally switched to the other book, and initially didn't notice? because they were read by the same person? or maybe the first book had multiple readers, so it wasn't surprising to hear a new voice? and you thought the thing you were hoping for had indeed happened? because something similar did happen in the second book? and this made you happy?
- The second book continued, and stopped seeming to make sense as a continuation of where you had left off in the first? at which point you became confused?
- You then realized what had happened and became annoyed?
- Finally you resumed listening to the first book and hoping for the thing to happen? perhaps the second book was a sequel to the first, so you now knew the thing would happen eventually? or else you just resumed your original hope, not knowing how the story would go?
ETA: It wouldn't have happened if you'd been paying more attention: to the story, so that you would have noticed the inconsistency immediately? or to the phone, so you wouldn't have accidentally switched books?
Anything else left to discover? No, you've got it all!

*****SPOILER*****
I was listening to an audiobook, which involved a man hoping to be reunited with the woman he loved, narrated in the first person by the character of the man. The characters were sympathetic so I hoped they would find each other. One chapter ended, and another began something like "I swept her into my arms...". I was happy that the couple had clearly found each other, although surprised that the author had glossed over their reunion.
However, after a few sentences I realised that the story made no sense as a continuation of what I had heard before, which made me confused.
It turned out that the app I was using to play the audiobook, instead of playing the nexct chapter of my book, had switched to a chapter from another book read by the same narrator and also told in first person. I was annoyed at the mistake. I switched back to my original book and resumed hoping that the characters would reunite (which they eventually did).

If I'd been paying enough attention to notice that the book had changed, I wouldn't have gone through all those feelings.

Well done wunderland and thanks to everyone else who played!
Enjay

Re: [Enjay] Life is a Rollercoaster [RIDDEN]

Postby irishelk » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Good one! Reminds me of old-school mp3 players, where you'd hit shuffle and get three or four songs, then, "Chapter Three. Mr. Holmes returned to London that day..."
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles