[peter365] Hey now little speedy head

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[peter365] Hey now little speedy head

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:47 am

Hi there folks

My Daughter is learning to drive and under the law is required to have a fully licenced driver with her when she's on the road. She asked me to take her out driving last weekend but becuase of a prior engagement I was unable to . I warned her not to give in to the temptation to drive on her own and she promised she wouldn't .

Even though I hadn't taken note of the exact position of the car or the reading on the odometer the next time I sat in the car I strongly suspected that she'd ignored my warning.

Why did I suspect that?
peter365

Re: [peter365] Hey now little speedy head

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 am

Was something about the car itself different? Such as seating adjustments? Steering wheel adjustments? Was a lever or knob in a different position than you'd always leave it in? Such as the handbrake pulled to a different tension? The gear selector in a different position? Something meticulously returned to its standard position, which you never do (or the other way around)? Was the car parked in a position you wouldn't? Was something on the outside changed? Such as mirrors? Was a consumable consumed? Such as wiper fluid? Was the battery drained? Did the radio play her station instead of yours? If not, was another radio/music/entertainment setting the clue?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Galfisk

Was something about the car itself different? Yes Such as seating adjustments? Steering wheel adjustments? Was a lever or knob in a different position than you'd always leave it in? Such as the handbrake pulled to a different tension? The gear selector in a different position? No to all of these Something meticulously returned to its standard position, which you never do (or the other way around)? No and I'm in no way meticulous :lol: Was the car parked in a position you wouldn't? No it was in the smae spot Was something on the outside changed? No Such as mirrors? So no Was a consumable consumed? No Such as wiper fluid? No but an excellent thought Was the battery drained? No Did the radio play her station instead of yours? No If not, was another radio/music/entertainment setting the clue? No.
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Was the difference on the inside? Outside? Underside? Hidden? Somethig you saw? Heard? Felt? Did you discover it when sitting down? Looking around? Checking that all is good before starting? When starting? Are the pedals relevant? The steering wheel? The wheels? Gears?
GalFisk

Postby Lynne » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Could you smell her perfume?

Or could you smell her boyfriend's aftershave (and he's fully licensed although I think there's a rule that they have to have a minimum length of time since passing their test to supervise a learner)
Lynne

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 pm

(As long as the GPS didn't direct her to find a river...)

Did you suspect something before sitting in the car? Would you have noticed had you sat in the passenger's seat? The back?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:57 am

L plates relevant? Had she changed the clock settings? Lights left on?
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:15 am

Galfisk

Was the difference on the inside? This Outside? Underside? Hidden? Somethig you saw? This Heard? Felt? Did you discover it when sitting down? Yes Looking around? Yes If I understand you correctly Checking that all is good before starting? No When starting? I noticed shortly after starting Are the pedals relevant? The steering wheel? The wheels? Gears? None of these
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 am

Lynne

Could you smell her perfume? [b] No but nice bit of lateral thinking [/b]

Or could you smell her boyfriend's aftershave (and he's fully licensed although I think there's a rule that they have to have a minimum length of time since passing their test to supervise a learner) Happy to say no to this.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:19 am

Balin

(As long as the GPS didn't direct her to find a river...) Bonus points for spotting the titular reference.

Did you suspect something before sitting in the car? No Would you have noticed had you sat in the passenger's seat? The back? Yes to both but maybe not as quickly
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 am

Invisiblemimsy

L plates relevant? No Had she changed the clock settings? Yes Lights left on? No

Care to spoil?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

She had changed the clock to daylight savings time?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am

Galfisk

She had changed the clock to daylight savings time? Yes i think this was too easy.

*****************SPOILER********************

My daughter is a fussy young lady and in true OCD fashion she could not resist changing the clock in the car after the hour went forward last weekend. It's an old car so the clock requires a manual change . It proves at least that she sat in it on the Sunday but I guess I can't prove she actually drove anyhwere.

Need to think of harder puzzles but well done to all .
peter365

Re: [peter365] Hey now little speedy head (River found)

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Still my favourite REM song, just edging out Beat a Drum.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles