[WiZ] Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dum

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dum

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 pm

A rich man gave her two. She wanted more. The rich man then dies. Another rich man then gave her twenty. She was unhappy. Explain.

More shower Philosophy. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dum

Postby Earnest » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am

WiZ I am becoming your big puzzle fan! Ahahahahah

Can we assume modern times?
She = HAF? Rich men = relevant that they were both rich? Did rich man A die because she wanted more? For natural causes? Did she kill him? Did he kill hinself? Was him executed? Could he have given more than 2 had he wanted? If so relevant why he did not?
Were the two men related to her? If so collegues? Friends? Relatives? Bosses? She was their Queen? Wife? Who had more powers? She? Rich man A? Rich man B? Relevant? Did the two rich men want to make her haply?

She was unhappy the second time = she wanted more? She did not want anymore?

Would she have been haply with 20 the first time? With more than 20 the second time? Less than 20?
Did the second rich man die?

Two and twenty = objects? Money? Pieces of papers? Time (minutes? Hours? Weeks?)Animals? Slaves? Something concrete? Abstract? (E.g. kisses) something such that the more the better? could it be given in fixed amounts? Did the rich men want to give her the things? Were they forced to?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 am

WiZ I am becoming your big puzzle fan! Ahahahahah Thank you. I do take pride in creating quality puzzles for the LTPFers.

Can we assume modern times? we can
She = HAF? yes Rich men = relevant that they were both rich? yes Did rich man A die because she wanted more? yes For natural causes? no Did she kill him? yes Did he kill hinself? no Was him executed? no Could he have given more than 2 had he wanted? yes If so relevant why he did not? yes (although this isn't the most important detail)
Were the two men related to her? no If so collegues? Friends? Relatives? Bosses? She was their Queen? Wife? no to all Who had more powers? She? Rich man A? Rich man B? All other things being equal, I would say men A and B had more power than she did Relevant? perhaps for context Did the two rich men want to make her haply? no

She was unhappy the second time = she wanted more? no She did not want anymore? yesish

Would she have been haply with 20 the first time? yes With more than 20 the second time? no Less than 20? She would have been less unhappy
Did the second rich man die? not during this puzzle

Two and twenty = objects? Money? Pieces of papers? no to these Time yes! (minutes? Hours? Weeks? no to these)Animals? Slaves? Something concrete? no to these Abstract? yes (E.g. kisses more abstract than this) something such that the more the better? yope! could it be given in fixed amounts? yes Did the rich men want to give her the things? yope Were they forced to? yope
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:31 am

Time = attempts? time spans? Units of measurament relevant? years? Years of jail? Seconds? Are the time "amounts"? Time that can be checked on the clock? Are sports relevant? Timers? Time to spend with her? (E.g. the first man underestimated her and spend less time with her than the second man did?) Time more? Time less? Time to do something?

Actors relevant? Advertising? Youtube videos? Appearing on TV? Does one more make a lot of difference objectively? Are auditions relevant? Number of attempts relevant? Are games/sports relevant?

Is the rich men professions relevant? Repevantly the same? Doctors? Judges? Food related? Others? Could this time been given just by rich men in genera? By the 2 rich men specifically? Did she ask for the time? For more time? Directly to the two men? Did the second rich man gave her 20 soon after the other man died? Soon after the first man gave her 2? Years after?

Did she kill the first man with a weapon? By poisoning him?

To be sure: did she need more time? A specific amount? 2 and 20 are the same time measure/time amounts? Did she and the two rich men interact face to face? In the same way?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:39 pm

Was rich man 2 a judge? Did she get 20 years of prison for murder? Murder of rich man 1? Did she blackmail RM1? Did RM1 give her money?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Earnest

Time = attempts? no time spans? yes Units of measurament relevant? yes years? yes Years of jail? Yes, in one case Seconds? no Are the time "amounts"? no Time that can be checked on the clock? no Are sports relevant? no Timers? no Time to spend with her? no (E.g. the first man underestimated her and spend less time with her than the second man did?) Time more? Time less? Time to do something?

Actors relevant? Advertising? Youtube videos? Appearing on TV? no to these Does one more make a lot of difference objectively? yes Are auditions relevant? Number of attempts relevant? Are games/sports relevant? no to these

Is the rich men professions relevant? yes Repevantly the same? relevantly *not* the same Doctors? One is Judges? And one is Food related? Others? no to these Could this time been given just by rich men in genera? no By the 2 rich men specifically? yes Did she ask for the time? no For more time? no Directly to the two men? n/a Did the second rich man gave her 20 soon after the other man died? somewhat Soon after the first man gave her 2? less soon Years after? most likely not

Did she kill the first man with a weapon? By poisoning him? irrelevant

GalFisk

Was rich man 2 a judge? yes Did she get 20 years of prison for murder? yes Murder of rich man 1? yes Did she blackmail RM1? Did RM1 give her money? no to both

I can't tell if this was more obvious than I thought or you two just asked excellent questions.
WiZ

Postby trebor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:38 am

Ah, so the doctor gave her two years to live, and she killed him out of anger/frustration/exasperation? And the judge then sentenced her to twenty?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:11 am

Ok I cannot see the point of giving her 20 years of jail when she has just 2 years to live. Maybe the judge should have given her prison for her entire life?! Moreover, since she had just 2 years to live, I would expect her to care less about the possible consequences of her murder...i don't know maybe I am just overthinking...

Assuming trebor is right but I would like to explore more patterns...so did she expect the doctor to give her more years? Did she have a relevant disease? Was she aware about the possibility that the doctor would have given her 2 years of life? Did the doctor cure her? Tried to cure her? Gave her hopes? Or maybe gave her a wrong cure? Did she kill him as soon as he gave her 2 years? At the end of the 2 years? Did she care about the consequences of the murder? If so, because she discovered she had more to live? (E.g. a cure was found in the meanwhile) death penalty relevant? Would she have served out the rest of the judge's sentence entirely, i.e. would she serve all the 20 years in prison? Did the judge expect so? Did she? Relevant? I mean, was the judge aware that the doctor gave her 2 year? Maybe the doctor was wrong?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Ah, so the doctor gave her two years to live, and she killed him out of anger/frustration/exasperation? And the judge then sentenced her to twenty?

***** SPOILER *****

That.

Congratulations, Trebor, on the solution.

Earnest: I'm going to give the public service response and say that your questions are outside the scope of the puzzle :) It would depend to an extent on which legal system this puzzle took place in - the length of a sentence may be mandated by law, it could have been reduced due to mitigating circumstances, it could be set at this level to determine eligibility for parole etc. - also, the Doctor's postulate of '2 years' would have been an educated guess, and not the result of striking a personal deal with the Grim Reaper. For all we know, he could have been wrong and she died a decade later, having been paroled early.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dum [SENTENCED]

Postby trebor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I, for one, would be very unhappy with being imprisoned if I had only two years to live. As the song goes, “Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don’t fence me in.”

I just hate it when I join a puzzle too late and as in reading through it I think of a killer question only to find a few posts later that someone has already asked it. Some excellent questions paved the way here.
trebor

Postby WiZ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:23 pm

If you want someone to host a puzzle that is mostly solved by the time you see it, I'm your lad!
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:43 am

I understood. Very nice puzzle. It was well established, I was just lucky to embrace the right track at the first attempt!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles