[markobr] Dustman's Holiday

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[markobr] Dustman's Holiday

Postby markobr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am

Some years ago, I went on holiday to a certain place. My favourite photo I took on this trip shows the operation of the local rubbish collection service.
Last edited by markobr on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markobr

Re: [markobr] Dustman's Holiday

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 am

Hi! Nice to meet you!

So relevant where you went on holiday? A place on the Earth? Asia? Europe? USA? Africa?

Operation = normal operations of rubbish collecting? Something you can see in every part of the world? Were you in a town? Was tgere necessity to collect rubbish? Was it usual to see rubbish collectors there? (E.g. you were in the middle of desert or of the sea wgich made the picture quite unusual)

Did you take many pictures? Did you live in an hotel? Did you go alone? With someone?
Did you mean to take the picture of the rubbish collector? Is the rubbish collector maybe i the background? Did you want to take the picture in a particular moment (e.g. as if you were waiting for a lightening?) Or maybe on the rubbish collector there was someone famous?

Would you describe the picture as representative of the entire holiday? Of an important part of the holiday? Of an important part of your life? Is it an emotional picture? Was there someone else in the picture? You? Your family? Friends?
Were you in a snowy place? Is the rubbish collector per se something athypical? An animal? A technology that you drove? Maybe you were in a museum showing how wastes will be collected in the future and there was a model of a modern rubbish collector taking rubbish on the space?
Earnest

Postby markobr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:55 am

Hi! Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you!

So relevant where you went on holiday? Yes. A place on the Earth? Asia? Europe? This. USA? Africa?

Operation = normal operations of rubbish collecting? Yesish. Something you can see in every part of the world? No. Were you in a town? Yes. Was tgere necessity to collect rubbish? Yes. Was it usual to see rubbish collectors there? Yes. (E.g. you were in the middle of desert or of the sea wgich made the picture quite unusual) So, no.

Did you take many pictures? About 200. Did you live in an hotel? More like a B&B, not very relevant. Did you go alone? This, irrelevant. With someone?
Did you mean to take the picture of the rubbish collector? Yes. Is the rubbish collector maybe i the background? No. Did you want to take the picture in a particular moment (e.g. as if you were waiting for a lightening?) No. Or maybe on the rubbish collector there was someone famous? No.

Would you describe the picture as representative of the entire holiday? No. Of an important part of the holiday? Yes. Of an important part of your life? Noish. Is it an emotional picture? Not particularily. Was there someone else in the picture? One dustman. You? Your family? Friends? No to rest.
Were you in a snowy place? No. Is the rubbish collector per se something athypical? Yesish. An animal? Yesish, not the vehicle itself. A technology that you drove? No. Maybe you were in a museum showing how wastes will be collected in the future and there was a model of a modern rubbish collector taking rubbish on the space? No.
markobr

Postby hominid » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Was the rubbish collection typical of this country? this specific place?

Was the animal a vertebrate?
hominid

Postby markobr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Was the rubbish collection typical of this country? No. this specific place? Yes.

Was the animal a vertebrate? Yes.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:32 pm

Any features of the landscape relevant? If so, mountains? cliffs?

Was the trash collected from a place that would be hard to reach for humans?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Any features of the landscape relevant? Yesish. If so, mountains? cliffs? No.

Was the trash collected from a place that would be hard to reach for humans? No.
markobr

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Was it collected from where it would be hard to reach with a truck? A vehicle? Did the animal carry trash? Haul a wagon? Eat the trash? Bury it?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:22 am

Was it collected from where it would be hard to reach with a truck? No. A vehicle? No. Did the animal carry trash? No. Haul a wagon? Yes. Eat the trash? No. Bury it? No.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 am

Relevant what kind of rubbish was being collected?
Relevant where it was collected from? If so, from a trash can? from the ground?

Is the animal the "one dustman" you referred to in an earlier answer? Or was there a human dustman as well?

Does the animal belong to a species that is commonly used to haul wagons? If so, is it a horse? a mule? a donkey? an ox?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Relevant what kind of rubbish was being collected? Assume ordinary household rubbish.
Relevant where it was collected from? Not much. If so, from a trash can? from the ground? Trash cans and/or sacks standing on the ground.

Is the animal the "one dustman" you referred to in an earlier answer? No. Or was there a human dustman as well? Yes.

Does the animal belong to a species that is commonly used to haul wagons? Yes. If so, is it a horse? This. In fact two horses, the number is not really relevant. a mule? a donkey? an ox?
markobr

Postby Balin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Is the trash eaten?
Balin

Postby markobr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Is the trash eaten? No.
markobr

Postby Balin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Were you in a country which is popular to tourists?
Was the trash in the wagon being hauled?
Balin

Postby markobr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Were you in a country which is popular to tourists? Quite so, in fact I was in my own country, Germany.
Was the trash in the wagon being hauled? Not sure what you mean - of course, the wagon with the trash in it was hauled by the horses.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Does this happen in a car-free area?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Relevant why they used horses instead of a motor vehicle? If so: noise? Pollution? Cost? Road conditions? Novelty value? Historical reenactment? Fun? Tradition? Was this type of trash always collected with horses from this area? Was it part of normal trash service? Was it something extraordinary? Necessary at the time?
GalFisk

Postby markobr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am

Relevant why they used horses instead of a motor vehicle? Yes. If so: noise? In part. Pollution? In part. Cost? No. Road conditions? No. Novelty value? No. Historical reenactment? No. Fun? In part. Tradition? In part. Was this type of trash always collected with horses from this area? I'm not sure. Was it part of normal trash service? Yes. Was it something extraordinary? Not in this place. Necessary at the time? No.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:11 am

Looks like you missed my question:

Does this happen in a car-free area?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:27 am

Looks like you missed my question:

Oops, I did! And what question!

Does this happen in a car-free area? Yes!

Not much more interesting to find out, so it is time for a

***** SPOILER *****

I spent my holiday on the East Friesian island of Juist, and while I've been to a few places that call themselves "car-free", it was nowhere implemented nearly as consequently as there. They use horse-wagons for nearly all transports of goods, and horse carriages are what taxis are elsewhere. Horses and the sound of hooves were omnipresent in town (there is only one town on the island), and I think the rubbish collection is a very good example of what's special about Juist.

Last edited by markobr on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am

Does this happen on one of the East Frisian islands? Heligoland?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:55 am

Does this happen on one of the East Frisian islands? Yes, see above. Heligoland?
markobr

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:06 am

Oops, didn't see the edit with the spoiler before posting my question.

Nice puzzle!

The first holiday I ever went on - as a 5-month-old baby - was, in fact, to Juist

Doriana

Postby markobr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:44 am

And this ist Juist's rubbish collection at work...
Attachments
Müllwagen.jpg
Müllwagen.jpg (244.84 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
markobr

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles