[Doriana] And this is crazy

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] And this is crazy

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 am

Today, I saw a tiny piece of plastic. I've seen similar pieces of plastic hundreds of times, but I thought "Well, that's a first". What's going on?

True story, so I = Doriana
Last edited by Doriana on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] And this is crazy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:18 am

Was it a first? Relevant where you saw it? How it looked? How it came to be there? Did you see it at work? At home? In public? During travel? Was it smaller than a credit card? A thimble? A pinhead? Was it part of something? Stuck in/on/to something? Was there a relevant mistake? Manufacturing error?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Was it a first? Yes, at least for me Relevant where you saw it? Yes How it looked? Finding out what it looked like will help you determine what it is, but it's not relevant to the puzzle situation How it came to be there? No Did you see it at work? This At home? In public? During travel? Was it smaller than a credit card? A thimble? About the size of a thimble A pinhead? Was it part of something? Yes Stuck in/on/to something? Was there a relevant mistake? Manufacturing error? No to rest
Doriana

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm

I have an idea of your next puzzle title...

Do you commonly see similar pieces of plastic? If so, at work? At home? In public? During travel?
Was the piece of plastic part of an item of clothing?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I have an idea of your next puzzle title... So do I, but been there, done that

Do you commonly see similar pieces of plastic? Yes If so, at work? At home? This In public? During travel?
Was the piece of plastic part of an item of clothing? No
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Was it your first time seeing it at work? Is it part of something that's also plastic? Is it movable? Is it a button? Joystick? Do you have one at home? More than one? Lots?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Was it your first time seeing it at work? Yes Is it part of something that's also plastic? It's part of something that's made of plastic and other materials Is it movable? Yes Is it a button? Joystick? No to these Do you have one at home? More than one? Lots? Right now, I have six at home, but the number changes
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Is the thing it's part of made, apart form plastic, also from: metal? Wood? Rubber? Glass? Ceramic? Stone? Fabric? Bone/teeth? Skin/leather/fur? Hair/wool? Silk/spiderweb? Resin? Liquid? Gas? Food? Drink? Magnet? Does the number of objects at home change because the objects are consumed? Lost? Used up? Discarded? Break? Often brought too and from the home?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 am

Is it a plug? A sachet? A medicinal?
Is something written on it?

Right now, I have six at home, but the number changes--> does it change according to your needs? Tastes? Someone else's needs? Availability?

Is it strange to see it at work? Is it used at home generally? If so, is personal hygene relevant? Is it part of something used by humans? On humans? Something to eat/drink? Or maybe it is used on animals? On other objects? Cleaning relevant? Sleeping? Driving?

Is the tiny plastic part alone considered trash? Is it relevantly used ehen the object it is part of is employed? Is it relevantly taken out temporarily when the object it is part of is used?
Do you discard someone somethimes? Have you got dopples? Are the 6 all interchangable? Equal? Or they are as in a collection (the ones you have doppel you discard them)
Earnest

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:53 am

Is the thing it's part of made, apart form plastic, also from: metal? This and something else Wood? Rubber? Glass? Ceramic? Stone? Fabric? Bone/teeth? Skin/leather/fur? Hair/wool? Silk/spiderweb? Resin? Liquid? Gas? Food? No to these Drink? No, but... Magnet? No Does the number of objects at home change because the objects are consumed? Lost? Used up? Discarded? This Break? Often brought too and from the home?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 am

Not drink but: ice? Drink container? Drink-related? Ice cubes relevant? Cube trays? Bags?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Not drink but: ice? Drink container? This Drink-related? Ice cubes relevant? Cube trays? Bags?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:45 am

Drink container: carton? Bag? Bottle? Thermos? Cup? Baby bottle? Is the plastic piece a straw? Cap? Lid? Did you see the plastic piece with a different drink container? A drink container with a different drink? Such as a baby bottle with coffee?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Drink container: carton? This Bag? Bottle? Thermos? Cup? Baby bottle? Is the plastic piece a straw? No Cap? Lid? Not sure what the difference between a cap and a lid is in this context, but they are relevant Did you see the plastic piece with a different drink container? A drink container with a different drink? Such as a baby bottle with coffee? No to all
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:13 am

I'd say that a cap covers a hole significantly smaller than the container, while a lid covers an open end.
Is it a screw cap for a drink carton? Is the metal a foil cladding? Did the "first" cap sit on a carton? WAG: had someone opened a carton as if it didn't have a cap? Such as cutting open a corner?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 am

I'd say that a cap covers a hole significantly smaller than the container, while a lid covers an open end.
Is it a screw cap for a drink carton? A screw cap for a drink carton is relevant, but that's not the plastic piece Is the metal a foil cladding? Irrel (I googled "What are drink cartons made of" and google said they have metal in them, so...) Did the "first" cap sit on a carton? The carton relevantly had a cap on it, yes WAG: had someone opened a carton as if it didn't have a cap? Such as cutting open a corner? No, but good idea
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 am

Is the plactic piece the bit that's attached to the carton itself? The plastic strip or ring that's torn off when first opening the cap? Did you also see a carton when you saw the "first"? The cap?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:42 am

Is the plactic piece the bit that's attached to the carton itself? No The plastic strip or ring that's torn off when first opening the cap? Yes Did you also see a carton when you saw the "first"? The cap? Yes to both
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:34 am

Was it opened? Unopened? Empty? Damaged? Full? Partially filled? Was someone holding it? Was it in a fridge? Contents (or former contents) relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Was it opened? Unopened? This Empty? Damaged? Full? And this Partially filled? Was someone holding it? Was it in a fridge? Contents (or former contents) relevant? Yes for context, it was a carton of soy milk
Doriana

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:48 pm

Did the plastic ring come from a carton of soy milk? Did two rings come off of one carton?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Did the plastic ring come from a carton of soy milk? Yes Did two rings come off of one carton? No
Doriana

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Is the color of the plastic ring relevant? Did the plastic ring look the same as other plastic rings from cartons of that brand of soy milk?
Balin

Postby Doriana » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Is the color of the plastic ring relevant? No (white, in case you're curious) Did the plastic ring look the same as other plastic rings from cartons of that brand of soy milk? Yes
Doriana

Postby Doriana » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:05 pm

RECAP: At work, I came across a full, unopened carton of soy milk. Why was this "a first" / what did this indicate?
Doriana

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:03 pm

Is it a first because normally someone else has opened the milk before you get to it?
Enjay

Postby Doriana » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 am

Is it a first because normally someone else has opened the milk before you get to it? YES, well done

********SPOILER********

When I got coffee at work the other day, I came across an unopened carton of soy milk, as indicated by the presence of a small white plastic seal under the screw cap. I've opened hundreds of cartons of milk before, but in four years of working there, this was the first time I was at the cafeteria so early that nobody had opened the soy milk before me.

Thanks for playing, everyone, and please check out my new-ish puzzle "Pandora's Box"
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles