[WiZ] I just like the words 'bureau drawer'

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] I just like the words 'bureau drawer'

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 pm

In a bureau drawer, Dave keeps a stack of old postcards from a good friend. They each end with the valediction, 'Better luck next time, you contemptible scoundrel'. Why should this be so?
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I just like the words 'bureau drawer'

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Relevant that he keeps them in a bureau drawer? Would the puzzle work if he kept them in a shoebox under his bed?

a good friend - H/A/M? H/A/F?

Relevant how many postcards there are? If so, less than 10? 10-50? 51-100? more than that?
Relevant how old the postcards are? Does the friend still send postcards? If not, relevant why s/he stopped?

Relevant what's on the picture side of the postcards? Relevant what else is written on the postcards?

Relevant where the postcards were sent from? If so, were they all sent from the same place?

Relevant how far apart the postcards were sent? If so, all at the same time? less than a week apart? Less than a month? less than a year? more than that? Were the postcards sent at regular intervals? Were they sent for a special occasion? If so, Dave's birthday? Christmas? The anniversary of an event?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Relevant that he keeps them in a bureau drawer?

No. I just like the words 'bureau drawer'.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TitleDrop

Would the puzzle work if he kept them in a shoebox under his bed? yes

a good friend - H/A/ yes M? irrel; probably the more likely option H/A/F?

Relevant how many postcards there are? no If so, less than 10? 10 assume a dozen or so -50? 51-100? more than that?
Relevant how old the postcards are? yes Does the friend still send postcards? no If not, relevant why s/he stopped? yes

Relevant what's on the picture side of the postcards? no Relevant what else is written on the postcards? no

Relevant where the postcards were sent from? no If so, were they all sent from the same place? assume no

Relevant how far apart the postcards were sent? no If so, all at the same time? less than a week apart? Less than a month? less than a year? assume this more than that? Were the postcards sent at regular intervals? yes, more or less Were they sent for a special occasion? no If so, Dave's birthday? Christmas? The anniversary of an event? n/a to all
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Were they sending postcards back and forth to play a game? (i.e. sending chess notations on the cards, and then moving the pieces on an actual chessboard.)

Stamps relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Were they sending postcards back and forth to play a game? (i.e. sending chess notations on the cards, and then moving the pieces on an actual chessboard.) no

Stamps relevant? no
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am

Does Dave also send postcards to the sender (can we call him Jack) if so is there something unusual in the message that he sends? Did Jack stop sending postcards because he died?

Is either person famous in their real life or fictional world?

Is there some sort of bet going on? Oneupmanship? Is Jack basically saying that he knows Dave is up to something?

I've just realised that I may have a false assumption, were the postcards actually sent to Dave?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Does Dave also send postcards to the sender (can we call him Jack) irrelevant if so is there something unusual in the message that he sends? no Did Jack stop sending postcards because he died? no

Is either person famous in their real life or fictional world? no

Is there some sort of bet going on? noish to yope! Oneupmanship? no Is Jack basically saying that he knows Dave is up to something? Jack is acknowledging something that he knows Dave is up to, yes

I've just realised that I may have a false assumption, were the postcards actually sent to Dave? they were
WiZ

Postby emeraldink » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Is Dave participating in a competition? contest? job search? certification testing? admission process?
emeraldink

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Is Dave participating in a competition? contest? job search? certification testing? admission process? no to all
WiZ

Postby emeraldink » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:39 am

Is he playing a lottery? sports pool ( betting )? horse races? any other chance game?
emeraldink

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 am

Is he being called a contemptible scoundrel: earnestly? Jokingly? Lovingly? In reference to something specific? If so: a piece of fiction? A specific event? Would it work if the insult changed between postcards?
Last edited by GalFisk on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Were they picture postcards? Holidays relevant?
Would the puzzle work if the communication had been with letters? phone calls? e-mails?
LemonCurry

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Does Jack send postcards to anybody else?
Postcards are rarely sent these days in my personal experience, was it months/years/decades since they were sent?
Are Dave and Jack friends or related to each other?
Is there a rivalry between them?
Do they concern romantic relationships that didn't last? Did they stop because Dave settled down with someone? Was he known for moving from one girl to another?

As a teenager I sent annual postcards to somebody, saying 'Having a wonderful wine, wish you were beer'. The guy in question would never have guessed they were from me as I don't think we'd ever spoken. I didn't fancy him or anything, I just worked out his address as it was a business on the High Road. I just liked to think he was bemused at not one but several cards arriving year after year.
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Emeraldink

Is he playing a lottery? sports pool ( betting )? horse races? no to these any other chance game? not by any formal definition

GalFisk

Is he being called a contemptible scoundrel: earnestly? a little bit Jokingly? Lovingly? but mostly these In reference to something specific? No, he is not alluding to any well-known point of reference (I hope I understand your question) If so: a piece of fiction? A specific event? n/a Would it work if the insult changed between postcards? Yes, if the sentiment was the same

Lemoncurry

Were they picture postcards? yes Holidays relevant? not especially
Would the puzzle work if the communication had been with letters? phone calls? potentially either of these, but it would be less elegant - postcards are thematically the most appropriate given the circumstances e-mails? no, except in certain countries

Lynne

Does Jack send postcards to anybody else? not relevantly
Postcards are rarely sent these days in my personal experience And mine - when Mrs. Wiz and I did our world tour, we made sure to send our family and friends several; some of them still display the postcards on their wall as some kind of curio, was it months/years/decades this since they were sent?
Are Dave and Jack friends yes or related to each other? no, as this is a true story - although the puzzle could work either way
Is there a rivalry between them? not relevantly, although the nature of their friendship is worth exploring
Do they concern romantic relationships that didn't last? no Did they stop because Dave settled down with someone? no Was he known for moving from one girl to another? no

As a teenager I sent annual postcards to somebody, saying 'Having a wonderful wine, wish you were beer'. The guy in question would never have guessed they were from me as I don't think we'd ever spoken. I didn't fancy him or anything, I just worked out his address as it was a business on the High Road. I just liked to think he was bemused at not one but several cards arriving year after year. I approve of this harmless gadfliery. I wonder if he developed his beer palate as a result.

An aside: whenever I use a neologism that subscribes more or less to the conventions of English grammar, I always google the word to see how many others before me have thought of it. If nobody else has, it's usually a sign that I've over-extended, and either forgotten a cardinal rule or made something too convoluted to be understood easily. If hundreds of people have, I chide myself as to my lack of originality. If half a dozen or so have, as is the case here, I smile at the thought of this small handful of like-minded individual who have put the pieces so elegantly together, and muse that we would probably get along.

Shout-out to the one person out there in the world who not only beat me to the concept of a 'Hopeless Romanticore', but gave it the cutest possible illustration. I may have to steal it as my SomethingAwful username/avatar.
WiZ

Postby emeraldink » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 am

At the time the cards were sent did Dave (?) or his friend (?) traveled around the world? On business? for pleasure?
emeraldink

Postby peter365 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am

Are their professions relevant?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Emeraldink

At the time the cards were sent did Dave (?) or his friend (?) traveled around the world? Jack did; he travelled internationally On business? for pleasure? irrelevant

Peter

Are their professions relevant? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Are any specific world locations relevant? Is Jack simply trying to tell Dave where he is?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Are any specific world locations relevant? no Is Jack simply trying to tell Dave where he is? no, that is not what the valediction conveys
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:06 am

Is this a bizarre type of treasure hunt? Is there anything unusual in how Jack addressed the postcards?

Is the trigger for Jack to send the postcard something he sees? finds? reads? hears?

Is there a pattern to the timing of the postcards?
peter365

Postby Lynne » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Do the postcards have any ongoing meaning for him today? Or is he keeping them for sentimental reasons? Will any more be sent to him? If so, does he look forward to them or are they are nuisance? Do they require any action to be taken? Is there a one-upmanship on the part of Jack?
Lynne

Postby Lynne » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I'd venture to say that this isn't common parlance today. Was he channelling his inner Victorian? e.g. The Three Musketeers? Did Jack receive anything similar from Dave?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Peter

Is this a bizarre type of treasure hunt? no Is there anything unusual in how Jack addressed the postcards? no

Is the trigger for Jack to send the postcard something he sees? finds? reads? hears? none of the above

Is there a pattern to the timing of the postcards? no

Lynne

Do the postcards have any ongoing meaning for him today? Or is he keeping them for sentimental reasons? this, by and large Will any more be sent to him? no If so, does he look forward to them or are they are nuisance? If this were to be an ongoing thing, he would look forward to them Do they require any action to be taken? no Is there a one-upmanship on the part of Jack? not one-upmanship, but explore
WiZ

Postby Grip » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Is Dave trying to playfully (or otherwise) trick Jack into something?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Is Dave trying to playfully (or otherwise) trick Jack into something? no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Is it relevant that Jack is using old-timely type phrasing? or does he always talk that way?

Is the Secret of Monkey Island relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Oops - just noticed I missed one round of Lynne's questions.

I'd venture to say that this isn't common parlance today. Was he channelling his inner Victorian? e.g. The Three Musketeers? not relevantly - it's just part of his personality. He could have signed it off 'You bastard' without materially changing the solution Did Jack receive anything similar from Dave? no, although there's no reason that this couldn't be reciprocal

Grip

Is it relevant that Jack is using old-timely type phrasing? or does he always talk that way? he always talks that way; this isn't really relevant - see above

Is the Secret of Monkey Island relevant? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Did something significant happen that stopped Jack sending the cards?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Did something significant happen that stopped Jack sending the cards? Yesish - something happened that stopped Jack signing them off like that
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 pm

But did he carry on sending cards with a different sign off?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 pm

But did he carry on sending cards with a different sign off? Assume yes, for some time afterwards. Irrelevant, really
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Did Dave ever accomplish what he was trying to do to Jack?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Did Dave ever accomplish what he was trying to do to Jack? No (although if he ever did, the postcards would stop)
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Did either Dave or Jack just get bored with the whole thing? or maybe did they stop because Jack died?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Did either Dave or Jack just get bored with the whole thing? no, they would have kept this up indefinitely if not for a relevant variable changing or maybe did they stop because Jack died? no (although, obviously, this would also have stopped the stream of postcards)
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Was what Dave was trying to get away with solely related to postcards?

Was Dave and or Jack famous? was Dave also traveling around?

Just to check, whether Dave sent Jack postcards is irrelevant?

Did these two friends ever correspond in some other way(s)? e-mail? phone? letters?

Is the era this occurred relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Was what Dave was trying to get away with solely related to postcards? no

Was Dave and or Jack famous? no was Dave also traveling around? no; relevantly not at the same time as Jack was

Just to check, whether Dave sent Jack postcards is irrelevant? correct

Did these two friends ever correspond in some other way(s)? irrelevant e-mail? phone? letters?

Is the era this occurred relevant? yes
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Did this occur in 17th? 18th? 19th? 20th century?

Is it relevant how Jack was able to know what Dave was up to? did he have visual means? audio?

Any friendly bet involved?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Did this occur in 17th? 18th? 19th? 20th this century?

Is it relevant how Jack was able to know what Dave was up to? no did he have visual means? audio?

Any friendly bet involved? I gave the answer 'Noish to yope' to a similar question earlier in the thread. If we expand the definition of 'bet' to include things like Pascal's Wager, I would change the answer to this question to 'yesish'
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Ok, was this Pascal's Wager? :)

Any math involved in this? (Please say no.)

Supernatural involved at all?

Are PC's relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Ok, was this Pascal's Wager? :) No. Neither party is God, The Devil, The Perverse Master, or someone else's god.

Any math involved in this? (Please say no.) Not on the solver's part :P

Supernatural involved at all? no

Are PC's relevant? No, but explore
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 am

Are these postcards digitally re/produced and printed out somehow?

Are faxes relevant?

Was this early 20th century? middle? later?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 am

Are these postcards digitally re/produced and printed out somehow? no

Are faxes relevant? no

Was this early 20th century? middle? later? middle to later
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:13 am

Is there a specific technological item relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 am

Is there a specific technological item relevant? Yes; but what the machine does is more relevant than what it is
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:39 am

Does the machine do anything related to (ugh) mathematics? calculator or some such?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 am

Does the machine do anything related to (ugh) mathematics? calculator or some such? no to both
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:59 am

Is the machine electronic?
Grip

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 am

Was it the introduction of email or perhaps faxes that changed the nature of communications in this situation? Did Jack ever communicate the same sign off electronically?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Grip

Is the machine electronic? Often yes, nowadays. Initially, no.

Lynne

Was it the introduction of email or perhaps faxes that changed the nature of communications in this situation? No - in an alternate tech timeline, Jack could have sent an e-mail or fax with the same sentiment before the relevant variable changed Did Jack ever communicate the same sign off electronically? no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Is this machine handheld?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Is this machine handheld? no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Does this machine make noise? light up? play music? dance? is it related to gambling?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Does this machine make noise? yes, but this isn't what it's designed to do light up? relatively rarely play music? dance? no to both is it related to gambling? Not by design. In this circumstance, it was used in the process of the 'wager' that took place.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Do we still use those same machines today?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Do we still use those same machines today? The machines, at a general level, are still in common use.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Were the machines computers?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Were the machines computers? no (although more modern ones will have computerised aspects)
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Typewriter?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Typewriter? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Did the machine have some form of keyboard?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Did the machine have some form of keyboard? They typically (at least now) have a key pad.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Phone?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Phone? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Is the machine used for communication?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Is the machine used for communication? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Photocopier?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Photocopier? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Just to check, was this machine used in the purchase or sending of the postcards? Was it used to convey a message?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Just to check, was this machine used in the purchase or sending of the postcards? No, it wasn't...

...although it can be.

Was it used to convey a message? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Did he own the machine himself or did he have to use one that was available to the public? Or did someone else use this machine?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Did he own the machine himself or did he have to use one that was available to the public? this Or did someone else use this machine? No, Dave did, the contemptible scoundrel.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Did Dave take a machine away from Jack and this was Jack's way of saying that he could manage without it?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Did Dave take a machine away from Jack and this was Jack's way of saying that he could manage without it? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 pm

So Dave owned his own machine and Jack didn't?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 pm

So Dave owned his own machine and Jack didn't? no, neither owned the machine. Dave relevantly used it; Jack did not.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Was it a cash register?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Was it a cash register? No, although we're getting quite warm.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Was it a machine that issued stamps?
Lynne

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Is it a vending machine? of snacks? drinks?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Lynne

Was it a machine that issued yes stamps? not in this instance

Grip

Is it a vending machine? yes! of snacks? drinks? no!
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Vending machine of postcards?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Vending machine of postcards? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Vending machine of umbrellas (they have them in Bergen)? Toothpaste and other things you might have forgotten at a hotel?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:50 pm

Vending machine of umbrellas (they have them in Bergen)? no (I've been to Bergen, but missed those) Toothpaste and other things you might have forgotten at a hotel? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Was it a cash changer? Giving coins for notes/bills?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Was it a cash changer? Giving coins for notes/bills? no - it was a vending machine that vended something
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Ticket machine?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Ticket machine? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:01 am

Lottery tickets?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 am

Lottery tickets? No (OTRT)
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:04 am

Did Jack send the postcards to show his own luck in something? Rubbing it in with his friend?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:08 am

Did Jack send the postcards to show his own luck in something? yope to yesish Rubbing it in with his friend? yes
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 am

I'm off now. Thanks for answering quickly. Haven't had an evening of quickfire q and a s for years!
Lynne

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:11 am

In Japan, they have vending machines for umbrellas too. They have vending machines for everything. I'm not exaggerating either.

Is it a machine that dispenses lottery scratch off cards? (I'm rather familiar with those!)
Grip

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:53 am

In Japan, they have vending machines for umbrellas too. They have vending machines for everything. I'm not exaggerating either. I've been told one can even buy underwear from vending machines...

Is it a machine that dispenses lottery scratch off cards? (I'm rather familiar with those!) no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 am

Machine that dispenses smoking material? fortunes? ghosts?
Grip

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:01 am

Is a prize competition involved?
LemonCurry

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Was the machine on a fairground?
Lynne

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Does it provide something edible? Drinkable? Disposable? Expensive? Amusing? Electronic? Flammable?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Grip

Machine that dispenses smoking material? fortunes? ghosts? no to all, and you've left me with the mental image of René Descartes and Gilbert Ryle standing in line with a roll of quarters, ready to be dispensed some sweet, sweet Cartesian Dualism.

LemonCurry

Is a prize competition involved? Not really, although there are a lot of similar elements at play - a dark-humoured comedian might call it a prize competition, but it would be for dramatic effect only.

Lynne

Was the machine on a fairground? No, but this is a useful line of questioning

GalFisk

Does it provide something edible? Drinkable? Disposable? no to these Expensive? no, and this is a large part of its appeal Amusing? Electronic? no to these Flammable? yes (at least as it pertains to the physical manifestation of this thing)
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Cigarette machine?
Lynne

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm

They have machines that dispense Cartesian Dualism in Japan, you know.

Does it dispense lighters? matches? is it at a bar?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Lynne

Cigarette machine? No - but I definitely see the connection with 'wager'

Grip

They have machines that dispense Cartesian Dualism in Japan, you know. Not only can you get ghosts in the machine, you can get ghosts in the shell.

Does it dispense lighters? matches? no to these is it at a bar? no
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Was it an arcade type machine?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Was it an arcade type machine? No, far more serious.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Are these vending machines found on streets, bus/train stations, in specialised locations?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Are these vending machines found on streets no, bus/train stations no but oRT, in specialised locations? yes
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm

In airports?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:00 pm

In airports? Yes!
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:16 pm

So to recap. He sent postcards. There is an airport vending machine which doesn't vend tickets, stamps, food or drink, postcards, toiletries, umbrellas, Cartesian Dualism, cigarettes or other smoking accessories, and a fairground is a useful line of questioning, but an amusement arcade isn't serious enough.

OK, luggage carousel? Machine that sells souvenir destination stickers?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:50 pm

So to recap. He sent postcards. Jack does, yes There is an airport vending machine which doesn't vend tickets, stamps, food or drink, postcards, toiletries, umbrellas, Cartesian Dualism, cigarettes or other smoking accessories, correct and a fairground is a useful line of questioning the useful line of questioning was as to where one encounters these machines; this has now been established, but an amusement arcade isn't serious enough. You would most emphatically not find this manner of vending machine in an amusement arcade

OK, luggage carousel? A vending machine for luggage carousels? No Machine that sells souvenir destination stickers? no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Does this machine dispense something related to airlines or car rental? does it dispense guidebooks? brochures? reading material?

WG - does the machine dispense postcards?
Grip

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm

I was still going with the fairground connection and carousel sounded about right, and a vending machine spits things out rather like luggage on the carousel. But back to the serious issue - we still have to find what vending machine it was?
Do they still have them today? Ah, newspapers?
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Does this machine dispense something related to airlines yesish or car rental? does it dispense guidebooks? brochures? reading material? no to rest

WG - does the machine dispense postcards? No
WiZ

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm

I was still going with the fairground connection and carousel sounded about right, and a vending machine spits things out rather like luggage on the carousel. But back to the serious issue - we still have to find what vending machine it was? Once this is established, it will become abundantly clear what's going on
Do they still have them today? In East Asia, yes. However, they are discontinued in most parts of the world, including the part where Dave Lives (somewhere in the anglosphere, no further detail required) Ah, newspapers? No.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Guns???
Lynne

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 pm

There used to be machines that vended flight insurance...is that it?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 pm

Lynne

Guns??? No. I don't think gun vending machines exist outside of fake news articles designed to scare American liberals. I could be wrong.

Grip

There used to be machines that vended flight insurance...is that it? Yes!!!

It should all fall into place now.
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Was Dave buying travel insurance and Jack was proving he had actually gone to those places by sending a postcard which would have an authentic postmark on it?
Lynne

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 pm

It should all fall into place now. You would think so...

Is Dave trying to get flight insurance? or actually was buying it somehow?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:34 am

Lynne

Was Dave buying travel insurance he was buying some sort of insurance, yes and Jack was proving he had actually gone to those places he was proving he had arrived at these places, yes by sending a postcard which would have an authentic postmark on it? yes

Grip

Is Dave trying to get flight insurance? or actually was buying it somehow? Dave succeeded in buying the insurance he was after

I'm conscious the term 'flight insurance' may be leading to ambiguities...
WiZ

Postby Grip » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 am

Was Dave buying accident insurance? life insurance?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:44 am

Was Dave buying accident insurance? life insurance? <-- This!
WiZ

Postby Lynne » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Was Dave buying life insurance on Jack's life, on the hope that Jack might die in an air crash and he himself would get rich in the process, but Jack's postcards were proof that no accident happened, he was still alive and therefore 'Better luck next time, you contemptible scoundrel'.
Lynne

Postby WiZ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 pm

***** SPOILER *****

As Lynne put it:

Dave was buying life insurance on Jack's life, on the hope that Jack might die in an air crash and he himself would get rich in the process, but Jack's postcards were proof that no accident happened, he was still alive and therefore 'Better luck next time, you contemptible scoundrel'.

Congratulations, Lynne - you got it! Well done also to Grip for a great contribution. This is a true story - my father used to do it to a friend and colleague. Airport vending machine life insurance was cheap enough that he could always do this on a lark in the hope of capitalising on his friend's tragedy. Their relationship was an interesting one.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I just like the words 'bureau drawer' [SOLVED]

Postby Lynne » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Interesting relationship indeed!
Lynne

Re: [WiZ] I just like the words 'bureau drawer' [SOLVED]

Postby Grip » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Sure, I can see how that...huh? Good puzzle, though!
Grip

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles