[WiZ] The $1,000,002 Question

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] The $1,000,002 Question

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:28 pm

I was standing on the deck of a boat in Fiordland National Park, looking out at the mist-shrouded peaks of Milford Sound.

I would describe the sight as a 'million and two dollar view'. An odd description, but one that makes perfect sense. Why?

Autobiographical. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The $1,000,002 Question

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

Could you see two dollars in cash? A million dollars in cash? (Somehow I doubt the latter.) Were there two separate parts of the view, one which was a million dollar view and one which was a two dollar view? There's a beach somewhere, I think Lake George, that is called Million Dollar Beach because they brought in a million dollars worth of sand to make it. Is it something along these lines?
gregoryuconn

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 am

Could you see two dollars in cash? no A million dollars in cash? (Somehow I doubt the latter.) no - and I would say Milford Sound was a bit prettier than a $2 view. Maybe 2 Bitcoins, if you were hard to impress... Were there two separate parts of the view, one which was a million dollar view and one which was a two dollar view? yes There's a beach somewhere, I think Lake George, that is called Million Dollar Beach because they brought in a million dollars worth of sand to make it. Is it something along these lines? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:04 am

So I see it's cumulative, I mean the 2$ view adds to the million dollar view. Hence I assume that without the 2 dollar view the view would have decreased to 1 million dollar view right? Is 10000002$ the price/estimated value of something concerning the view? Did someone spend such an amount to have that view (e.g. the total amount spend by tourists to visit the place?; the price spend by someone famous to build up an house with such a view?)

Does the 2 dollar part stand alone with respect to 1 ;million part? Is it easy to identify it? Does the 2 dollar view worth exactly 2 dollars? Or is it it somehow detrimental to give a 2 dollar to it? Or again you said it worths 2 dollars if compared to the 1 Million dollar view? (so a way to say that it worths far less)
WAG --> Milford Sound peaks were the image are the image of a notorious product that worths 2 dollars.
Is your description accurate every day of the year 24h/24h? Relevant that you were standing on the deck of a boat? Relevant your point of view (I mean: is your description valid from your point of view or from every point of fire from which you could see the peaks?)? Is a graphical representation of the peaks relevant? E.g. a map? Are the peaks 7? 6?

Is it relevant that $1,000,002 clashes with respect to $1,000,000? That it exceeds 1 Million? That it exceeds 1 Million exactly of 2 dollars? Had it exceeded for 5 dollars would the puzzle have worked as well? Or maybe 1 Million and 2 is an accurate estimate? If so, is it changed now?
Last edited by Earnest on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 am

PM-ed a WAG
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:09 am

Is the NZD currency relevant? Banknotes? Coins? some image depicted on one of those?

I google imaged Fiordland National Park , WOW!
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Earnest

So I see it's cumulative, I mean the 2$ view adds to the million dollar view. correct Hence I assume that without the 2 dollar view the view would have decreased to 1 million dollar view right? yes Is 10000002$ the price no/estimated value only in a very idiomatic sense of something concerning the view? no Did someone spend such an amount to have that view (e.g. the total amount spend by tourists to visit the place?; no the price spend by someone famous to build up an house with such a view?) no

Does the 2 dollar part stand alone with respect to 1 ;million part? yes, if I understand your question Is it easy to identify it? yes Does the 2 dollar view worth exactly 2 dollars? no Or is it it somehow detrimental to give a 2 dollar to it? no Or again you said it worths 2 dollars if compared to the 1 Million dollar view? (so a way to say that it worths far less) no (or at least not proportionally)
WAG --> Milford Sound peaks were the image are the image of a notorious product that worths 2 dollars. no, but ORT
Is your description accurate every day of the year 24h/24h? yes (although the peaks aren't as pretty at night, unless it's very clear) Relevant that you were standing on the deck of a boat? yes Relevant your point of view (I mean: is your description valid from your point of view or from every point of fire from which you could see the peaks?)? yes Is a graphical representation of the peaks relevant? no E.g. a map? Are the peaks 7? 6? More, but irrelevant

Is it relevant that $1,000,002 clashes with respect to $1,000,000? Not sure what you mean by 'clashes' That it exceeds 1 Million? yes That it exceeds 1 Million exactly of 2 dollars? And yes Had it exceeded for 5 dollars would the puzzle have worked as well? Under slightly different circumstances, yes - I will explain after the spolier is posted Or maybe 1 Million and 2 is an accurate estimate? no If so, is it changed now? no

PM-ed a WAG The maths checks out, but this is not the solution

Peter

Is the NZD currency relevant? *sigh* Yes Banknotes? no Coins? yes some image depicted on one of those? yes

I google imaged Fiordland National Park , WOW! Inorite?! Catch it on one of the 12 days a year it isn't raining, and it's breathtaking. I mean, it's still pretty nice on the other 353; quite Middle-Earthy.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Do different coin denominations represent different sights of Milford Sound? If so different points of view of the same place? From your pint of view you had the 2$ view?...so what about the 1000000...are limited editions of coins relevant? maybe had you got 1000000 coins you would have been able to reconstruct the landscape? Are jigsaw puzzles (is it correct?) relevant? Pieces of the puzzle?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Did something relevantly cost two dollars? Were you looking through an optical device? Other device? Do coins have an image of the view on them?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:19 am

Earnest

Do different coin denominations represent different sights of Milford Sound? no, generally speaking If so different points of view of the same place? no From your pint of view you had the 2$ view? I ascribed it this value based on my field of vision ...so what about the 1000000...are limited editions of coins relevant? no maybe had you got 1000000 coins you would have been able to reconstruct the landscape? no Are jigsaw puzzles (is it correct? it is) relevant? no Pieces of the puzzle? no

GalFisk

Did something relevantly cost two dollars? no Were you looking through an optical device? no Other device? no Do coins have an image of the view on them? yes - or part of it, at least
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 am

Premise: not really aware of NZD denominations so sorry for any mistake.

Relevant coins with part of the view = 2$ coins? 1$ coins? Is your 10000002$ estimation meant to be in coins? In different denominations of NZD currency? In different currencies? Relevant? In lottery ticket terms? Stamps?

Since the 1Mln view and 2 dollars view are separate, do you need to be in movement to give the 1Mln and 2 $ denomination to the view? Or the 2 parts were clearly visible and distinguishable from your point of view? Had you seen the 1 Mln view somewhere else as well? On something whose value is 1 Mln$? Or something composed by many pieces that put together worth 1 Mln? Was part of the boat relevantly part of the view? Was the 1 Mln dollar view included or excluded from the 2 dollar image? Also when giving your estimation? (I mean if the 2 dollar view is composed by a moubtain and a lake, the 1 Mln and 2$ view is composed by the same mountain and lake with a boat in the middle)?

Woukd someone have paid 1 million for such a view? Did someone call it the 1 mln view? Ok...maybe this is too much but...are social network's views relevant (e.g. is the most seen picture on the instagram eith 1 Mln views)
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 am

I'm guessing that you saw an animal that is depicted on the $2 coin thus adding to the splendour. I don't have any knowledge of NZD coins but I don't want to look it up.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Earnest

Premise: not really aware of NZD denominations so sorry for any mistake. No biggie, amico - we have 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, and $2 coins.

Relevant coins with part of the view = 2$ coins? yes 1$ coins? Is your 10000002$ estimation meant to be in coins? $2 of it is, yes In different denominations of NZD currency? no In different currencies? no Relevant? The 2NZD coin is the only relevant one In lottery ticket terms? Stamps? no to both

Since the 1Mln view and 2 dollars view are separate, do you need to be in movement to give the 1Mln and 2 $ denomination to the view? no Or the 2 parts were clearly visible and distinguishable from your point of view? yes Had you seen the 1 Mln view somewhere else as well? [b][color=#008000]I have visited Milford Sound before, and would have seen the million-dollar-view only[/color][/b] On something whose value is 1 Mln$? no Or something composed by many pieces that put together worth 1 Mln? no Was part of the boat relevantly part of the view? yes Was the 1 Mln dollar view included or excluded from the 2 dollar image? excluded - it was extrinsic to the image Also when giving your estimation? (I mean if the 2 dollar view is composed by a moubtain and a lake, the 1 Mln and 2$ view is composed by the same mountain and lake with a boat in the middle)? this is the logic I applied, yes

Woukd someone have paid 1 million for such a view? Not to glimpse the view, no, although a house with that view would easily command $1 million or more, if it were at all possible to build a house in the middle of a national park... Did someone call it the 1 mln view? Yes - you might be at a disadvantage here - 'a million dollar view' is a popular idiomatic expression across the English-speaking world for a particularly beautiful, scenic view Ok...maybe this is too much but...are social network's views relevant (e.g. is the most seen picture on the instagram eith 1 Mln views) no

Peter

I'm guessing that you saw an animal that is depicted on the $2 coin thus adding to the splendour correct!. I don't have any knowledge of NZD coins but I don't want to look it up. Fun fact to follow (and I applaud your sportsmanshp)

***** SPOILER *****

A white heron (Kotuku) had just flown on to the deck of the boat. The Kotuku is depicted on the 2NZD coin, thus adding $2 to the million-dollar view of Milford Sound.

I do have that picture somewhere on my Google Photos, but I'm still sorting through the trip pictures as my wife is a proud shutterbug and her daily photo count is usually in the triple-digits.

Congratulations to Peter on the solution and Earnest for some great questions, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The $1,000,002 Question [PAID OFF]

Postby Earnest » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 am

Oh. Cool one! So some idiomas more in my little dictionary. Thanks WiZ and congrats Peter!
Earnest

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:40 pm

An inspiring answer!
JenBurdoo

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:09 am

Nice puzzle WiZ , I'm a big fan of Herons . I walk a mile alongside a river every morning on my way to work and am often treated to the spectacle of them and Egrets hunting. They're unbelievably patient stalkers.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:28 pm

What a beautiful commute. I hope your morning routine sometimes affords you the time to stop and watch for a moment.

Also, I'm impressed that you can walk to work in Dublin. To do that in Wellington (which is less than half the size), you'd have to either be a millionaire and/or live in a shoebox.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:31 am

Unfortunately I can't walk to work. I walk a mile to a bus stop , then a 40 minute bus journey followed by a mile and half walk at the other side. It's good for my step count .
peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles