[Peter365] Drive (Lapped)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Peter365] Drive (Lapped)

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 am

Hi there puzzle pals , a rare offering and no doubt a quickie.

Why does a racecar driver have to bring his wife to races?
peter365

Re: [Peter365] Drive

Postby Zanreo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Does his wife work at the racetrack? Is she also a racer? Can't she get there herself?
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Who decided he had to do so: him? Her? His team? A sponsor? A relative? Does he bring her to all his races? Is he his own wife? A racecar driver: HAM? His wife: HAF? Relevant what kind of race he participates in? Risk relevant? Accidents? WAG: is she a rare person who can donate blood that's compatible with his?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Zanreo

Does his wife work at the racetrack? No Is she also a racer? No Can't she get there herself? She probably could , this is more about why she has to be there.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Galfisk

Who decided he had to do so: him? Her? His team? A sponsor? Maybe the sponsors were involved but it was primarily the race organisers A relative? Does he bring her to all his races? Assume yes Is he his own wife? Yes A racecar driver: HAM? His wife: HAF? Yes to both Relevant what kind of race he participates in? Not really it's indy car racing i think Risk relevant? No Accidents? WAG: is she a rare person who can donate blood that's compatible with his? No but that's a pretty good piece of lateral thinking.
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:15 am

Superstition relevant? Is her profession relevant? Her relationship to him? To others? Is she famous? Does her presence increase his chances of winning?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:01 am

To be sure...did they have an house? I know that cars are taken to races through a huge caravan...maybe they lived in the caravan and there was no way that she could not take part to the races? Did he relevantly race around the world? Very close to where he lives? (e.g. he had his own race circuit)

So does he bring her in the car he drives? As a spectator? Did he speak with her during the races? Have relevant interactions with her? To be sure: does he bring her to races to which he takes part as driver? Also other races? Did they relevantly have children? Do other race drivers bring their wives with them? Other people? Relevant? Rumors relevant? After race relevant? Preparation to the race? Did she look at the entire race? Take active part to the race?

have to bring his wife to races --> meaning that if he does not bring her with him he is in danger? Others are in danger? She was in danger? Was it more a necessity for the racer to bring the wife with her or of the wife? Did she ask to be brought there? Had he got another job, would she have had to follow him as well (e.g. football player?)? Or maybe in the sense that the wife had to take part to the races independently on her will to do so?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Does the wife wear something relevant? Carry or hold something relevant?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 am

Galfisk

Superstition relevant? Is her profession relevant? No to both Her relationship to him? Her relationship to him is the only relevant one To others? No Is she famous? Does her presence increase his chances of winning? No to both
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 am

Earnest

To be sure...did they have an house? I'm sure they did but irrelevant. I know that cars are taken to races through a huge caravan...maybe they lived in the caravan and there was no way that she could not take part to the races? Nice thinking but on the wrong track Did he relevantly race around the world? No he only raced in one country as far as I'm aware. Very close to where he lives? (e.g. he had his own race circuit) Distance to the races is not relevant.

So does he bring her in the car he drives? No assuming you mean the racecar As a spectator? She watches but that's not why he brings her Did he speak with her during the races? No Have relevant interactions with her? Potentially one To be sure: does he bring her to races to which he takes part as driver? Yes Also other races? No , just when he's competing Did they relevantly have children? Irrelevant Do other race drivers bring their wives with them? Some may well do but not for the reason he does Other people? I'm sure they do but you need only consider him and his wife Relevant? Rumors relevant? No After race relevant? Yes Preparation to the race? No Did she look at the entire race? Probably Take active part to the race? Not in the race no.

have to bring his wife to races --> meaning that if he does not bring her with him he is in danger? That might be overstating it a bit but it's possible Others are in danger? No She was in danger? NO he's not bring her because she's in danger Was it more a necessity for the racer to bring the wife with her or of the wife? I'm not sure I follow this, it was probably more important that she was there for him rather than for her benefit. Did she ask to be brought there? Probably not Had he got another job, would she have had to follow him as well (e.g. football player?)? No Or maybe in the sense that the wife had to take part to the races independently on her will to do so? Nothing like that.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 am

Balin

Does the wife wear something relevant? I'm sure she dresses well but that's about it. Carry or hold something relevant? Potentially
peter365

Postby Lynne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 am

Does she administer any life saving drugs to him? Perhaps insulin? Does the adrenalin rush of racing cause him to need medical assistance?
Lynne

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Are fingerprints relevant? Something unique about the wife? Something that just the wife could give him? A password? Is the wife "exploited" by the racer at every race?

Was the wife "useful" for the driver: before the race? During? After?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:37 am

Lynne

Does she administer any life saving drugs to him? Perhaps insulin? Does the adrenalin rush of racing cause him to need medical assistance? I like it but alas no to all.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 am

Earnest

Are fingerprints relevant? No Something unique about the wife? Not unique no. Something that just the wife could give him? Yes but be careful A password? No Is the wife "exploited" by the racer at every race? No he doesn't exploit her at all

Was the wife "useful" for the driver: before the race? During? After? She would be useful after the race, potentially
peter365

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:22 am

She would be useful after the race, potentially --> in any circumstances? Or maybe just had he won? Had he lost? Had he ended the race before the official finishing (e.g. an accident To eye-witness the accident? To recognize the body? To carry out his will? To be the first in communicating something? To fake to be someone else?) ? Had she got specific instructions? Pictures relevant? Is her job relevant (e.g. his doctor?)? Maybe she was told to say something relevant? To talk on his behalf? (e.g. he was deaf/mute) To give him an excuse to go back home/ to go somewhere/ to perform a certain action? Was she relevantly pregnant?

Did he relevantly reach his wife at the end of the race? Did she reach him? Had they got children, would the children have followed the wife at the race? Relevant? Had they been just engaged (had she not be legally her wife), would the puzzle still work?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 am

Earnest

She would be useful after the race, potentially --> in any circumstances? No Or maybe just had he won? Yes, or at least finished on the podium Had he lost? No Had he ended the race before the official finishing (e.g. an accident To eye-witness the accident? To recognize the body? To carry out his will? To be the first in communicating something? No to these To fake to be someone else? You might consider that to be the case but this has the potential to mislead. ? Had she got specific instructions?In the circumstance that he won or had a podium finish then yes . Pictures relevant? maybe very slightly but not too much Is her job relevant (e.g. his doctor?)? No Maybe she was told to say something relevant? No she wasn't required to speak To talk on his behalf? (e.g. he was deaf/mute) No To give him an excuse to go back home/ to go somewhere/ to perform a certain action? Was she relevantly pregnant? No to these.

Did he relevantly reach his wife at the end of the race? Did she reach him? No to both if I understand you correctly Had they got children, would the children have followed the wife at the race? Relevant? Children are irrelevant Had they been just engaged (had she not be legally her wife), would the puzzle still work? Yes
peter365

Postby Lynne » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Is he disabled and needs help to get up the podium?
Lynne

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am

Traditions relevant? Like drinking milk after you win the Indy 500? And he's lactose intolerant? So she has to get him lactose-free milk?

Does it have to be his wife? Could this work with his girlfriend? His daughter? His mother? His mistress? If he were gay, could it work with his husband?
gregoryuconn

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am

Lynne

Is he disabled and needs help to get up the podium? Nice thinking but no.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am

Gregoryuconn

Traditions relevant? Like drinking milk after you win the Indy 500? And he's lactose intolerant? So she has to get him lactose-free milk? No

Does it have to be his wife? No Could this work with his girlfriend? Yes His daughter? It depends on her age but I'd say no His mother? Strictly speaking I could say yes but it really wouldn't have the desired effect. His mistress? Yes If he were gay, could it work with his husband? Absolutely not .
peter365

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:06 am

Does he kiss her? Do something else relevant with her? Celebrate in some way with her?
gregoryuconn

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:38 am

Gregoryuconn

Does he kiss her? Yes !!! Do something else relevant with her? the kissing is the main part Celebrate in some way with her? yes
peter365

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Is Mario Kart relevant? Did he always celebrate the podium in the same way? (i.e. by kissing the wife) Is a fictionary character relevant? Did he celebrate on the podium? Did she come and kiss him while interviewed? While on the podium? Is uncorking champagne relevant? Drinking champagne? Is a kiss to her wife expected by people? By fans? By everyone given the way he celebrate the victory (e.g. the celebration requires a kiss: like he makes the sign of the heart from the podium to the wife)?

Or maybe had he won, a lot of girls would have come to him and hence her wife prevented this from happening by kissing him first?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Is some religious organization relevant? Does he have a bigoted agenda? Relevant why it wouldn’t work if he had a husband? Is a sponsor of his relevant?
trebor

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Does he want to kiss her publicly to further some agenda? Demonstrate something? Given your answer to my question about what if he were gay, does he want to demonstrate that he’s straight? Perhaps because there are rumors to the contrary?Is he, in fact, straight?
gregoryuconn

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Earnest

Is Mario Kart relevant? No Did he always celebrate the podium in the same way? (i.e. by kissing the wife) Yes Is a fictionary character relevant? No Did he celebrate on the podium? Yes Did she come and kiss him while interviewed? No While on the podium? Yes Is uncorking champagne relevant? Drinking champagne? No to both Is a kiss to her wife expected by people? By fans? By everyone given the way he celebrate the victory Yes to all of these (e.g. the celebration requires a kiss: like he makes the sign of the heart from the podium to the wife)? It doesn't require a kiss but it's the normal pracitce. Nothing to do with any symbols or gestures.

Or maybe had he won, a lot of girls would have come to him and hence her wife prevented this from happening by kissing him first? NIce thinking but no. Although you shouldn't dismiss this line of questioning altogether
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Trebor

Is some religious organization relevant? No Does he have a bigoted agenda? No he doesn't Relevant why it wouldn’t work if he had a husband? Yes Is a sponsor of his relevant? Not a sponsor of his no, but the race sponsers would most likely have been.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Gregoryuconn

Does he want to kiss her publicly to further some agenda? No he doesn't but there's definitely an agenda at play, remember he's compelled to do this. Demonstrate something? No Given your answer to my question about what if he were gay, does he want to demonstrate that he’s straight? That's not his intention. When you see the solution you'll see why I so catergorically ruled out that he could be gay with a husband for this to work Perhaps because there are rumors to the contrary? No Is he, in fact, straight? Yes

There are a couple of very basic facts that you've all yet to establish and once you do the solution is straightforward.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Has he transitioned from being a woman and his wife being there is to prove he's now a man?
Lynne

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Is she pregnant? Is the kissing part of a marketing ploy?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Does he kiss her in the mouth? On the belly? Does he kiss also the trophy?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 am

Lynne

Has he transitioned from being a woman and his wife being there is to prove he's now a man? No and not close to the right track
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:16 am

Gregoryuconn

Is she pregnant? No Is the kissing part of a marketing ploy? To glamourise the event yes
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 am

Earnest

Does he kiss her in the mouth? I'm not sure I'd guess both cheeks On the belly? No Does he kiss also the trophy? He proably does but not relevant
peter365

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Is religion relevant (i.e. islam?)? Is the nationality of him relevant? Of the wife? Does he have many wives? Rings relevant? Is it evident that she is his wife? Sponsor relevant? Champagne relevant? Drinking from the same cup? Drinking from trophy? Drinking by exchanges the glasses? Does he kiss her? Does she kiss him? (I mean who is the first one kissing the other) Relevant? Lipstick relevant? (e.g. lipstick on check)? Make up?

Would the reverse work? I mean, had she been the race woman and the man the husband waiting?

Relevant why it wouldn’t work if he had a husband? Yes --> because of: practical reasons? Marketing reasons? Religion reasons? Cultural reasons? Physical reasons? Image reasons?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:51 am

Earnest

Is religion relevant (i.e. islam?)? No Is the nationality of him relevant? He's american and that's relevant Of the wife? She's american too Does he have many wives? Just one Rings relevant? No Is it evident that she is his wife? In so far as they live like a normal married couple with wedding rings, yes Sponsor relevant? This is difficult to answer but I'd say they have a big say in what does and doesn't happen at the race prize giving ceremony Champagne relevant? Drinking from the same cup? Drinking from trophy? Drinking by exchanges the glasses? None of these are relevant Does he kiss her? Does she kiss him? (I mean who is the first one kissing the other) Relevant? They kiss each other at the same time i guess, not really relevant who kisses first Lipstick relevant? (e.g. lipstick on check)? Make up? No to both

Would the reverse work? I mean, had she been the race woman and the man the husband waiting? Probably wouldn't arise

Relevant why it wouldn’t work if he had a husband? Yes --> because of: practical reasons? Marketing reasons? A bit of this Religion reasons? A lot of this Cultural reasons? Very much this Physical reasons? Image reasons? and this too

You need to concentrate on setting the scene, there's a few standard opening questions that haven't been asked that will kill this off.
peter365

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:54 pm

You need to concentrate on setting the scene --> so the celebration scene right? Recapoing: I assume that he arr8ves in the first 3 position, goes to the podium, someone (a man? A woman? His wife? Someone kissing him?) come and gives him a trophy/medal. He lifts the trophy, takes pictures and then his wife comes and kiss him. Is it correct? Am I missing something?

To be sure: were they divorcing? Is giving the image of the happy family relevant? Is she much younger than him? Vice versa? Ages relevant? Did she race as well? Maybe in the women championship?
Assuming he races also outside of the boundaries of USA right? Is this relevant? Does he relevantly celebrate like that in other nations? Are they legally husband and wife in the States? In other states?

Did she help him lifting the trophy? Was he said to be homosexual? To have been with another woman? To be racist?

Did he win very frequently? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Standard opening questions, got it.

Is the man a dwarf? Is his wife? Is there any ice involved? Does he have a twin brother? Is he the father of his wife's son? Is it nighttime? Did he fall onto the platform from a plane or hot air balloon? Is this all a giant game of monopoly? Is he dead? Is his wife dead? Is he blind? Has he spent his entire career racing around the cellar? Is he the only racer called John because everyone else is a woman? Is his wife preventing him from stretching out his arms several hundred metres, saying 'I won the race by this much, thus breaking through the glass walls of the stadium and slitting his wrists? Is he afraid to leave the platform because the masked man is waiting for him? Is he just one racer from a set of triplets? Is she kissing him to give the poisoned cubes in the cup of champagne time to melt? Is the racetrack in Peru and the podium is just over the border in Ecuador, meaning the race officials don't have jurisdiction to award him the prize? IS FRIDAY THE NAME OF HIS CAR?!?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 am

Earnest

You need to concentrate on setting the scene --> so the celebration scene right? Think more generally and less specifically Recapoing: I assume that he arr8ves in the first 3 position, goes to the podium, someone (a man? A woman? His wife? This Someone kissing him?) come and gives him a trophy/medal. His wife presents him with the prize and they kiss at the moment. He lifts the trophy, takes pictures and then his wife comes and kiss him. Is it correct? Am I missing something? This is pretty much it.

To be sure: were they divorcing? No Is giving the image of the happy family relevant? Not really , it's more about avoiding an image rather than creating one. Is she much younger than him? Vice versa? Ages relevant? Their ages are irrelevant Did she race as well? Maybe in the women championship? No to both
Assuming he races also outside of the boundaries of USA right? He didn't Is this relevant? It's relevant that this takes place in the US but I'm sure it could have occurred in other countries Does he relevantly celebrate like that in other nations? No as he only races in the USA Are they legally husband and wife in the States? In other states? Yes to both

Did she help him lifting the trophy? She may do but not relevant Was he said to be homosexual? To have been with another woman? No to both To be racist? Well he wasn't.........

Did he win very frequently? I don't know a lot about his career but he was reasonably successful I believe Relevant? Not really. what's relevant is that each time he raced there was a chance that he could place or win
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:14 am

WiZ

Standard opening questions, got it. I really asked for this didn't I? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the man a dwarf? Is his wife? Is there any ice involved? Does he have a twin brother? Is he the father of his wife's son? Is it nighttime? Did he fall onto the platform from a plane or hot air balloon? Is this all a giant game of monopoly? Is he dead? Is his wife dead? Is he blind? Has he spent his entire career racing around the cellar? Is he the only racer called John because everyone else is a woman? Is his wife preventing him from stretching out his arms several hundred metres, saying 'I won the race by this much, thus breaking through the glass walls of the stadium and slitting his wrists? Is he afraid to leave the platform because the masked man is waiting for him? Is he just one racer from a set of triplets? Is she kissing him to give the poisoned cubes in the cup of champagne time to melt? Is the racetrack in Peru and the podium is just over the border in Ecuador, meaning the race officials don't have jurisdiction to award him the prize? IS FRIDAY THE NAME OF HIS CAR?!? No to all , and the music didn't stop either. Thanks for the cheering me up.
peter365

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 am

...the last mile is always the hardest for me

To be racist? Well he wasn't......... --> were the organizers? Was the wife? Was someone else racist? Could he be perceived as racist? Is it relevant that her wife is present to confirm that he was not racist? Relevant the State where he was born? Relevant the state where she was born (e.g. she was an Indian American whose places have been destroyed in order to build up a circuit)? Relevant who are her parents (e.g. her dad was a paceman too)? His parents? Political orientation relevant? Can we assume modern times? Was their marriage a scandal for the time?

it's more about avoiding an image rather than creating one --> avoiding the image of a racist person? Avoid prejudices on him? On her? Could the image have formed had the wife missed a single race? Drugs relevant? Alcohol? The fact that the wife does not follow him would have implied something negative to the image of: the wife (e.g. just taking care of children)? His wife specifically? the race man himself? Another race man? Was it more in the interest off the man to avoid such an image? In the interests of the man? (e.g. to avoid rumors and to avoid not to be focused on races in the future)

WAG --> was he black? Apartheid relevant?

Relevant who would have gone to the podium had his wife not been present? Other girls/women (relevant if black or white women)...I mean the point being that since he went often to the podium it would have been noticed that several different girls gave him kisses? Nobody? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Time period relevant? He’s a HAM? She’s a HAF? (Would that make her his better HAF? Ha ha ha.) Is her profession relevant? Relevant what company he drives for? What day of the week races are held? TV audience relevant? In-person spectators? The children of the racer or his wife? Is this the second marriage for either of them?
trebor

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:40 am

Earnest

...the last mile is always the hardest for me You're getting there.

To be racist? Well he wasn't......... --> were the organizers? Was the wife? Was someone else racist? It was a societal thing. Could he be perceived as racist? No Is it relevant that her wife is present to confirm that he was not racist? That's not the reason she's there Relevant the State where he was born? Relevant the state where she was born (e.g. she was an Indian American whose places have been destroyed in order to build up a circuit)? Not the exact state they were born but they wee born and lived in America and that's what's relevant. She's not a Native American Relevant who are her parents (e.g. her dad was a paceman too)? His parents? Political orientation relevant? No to all Can we assume modern times? You most certainly cannot and that's what's been holding you back on this. Was their marriage a scandal for the time? No it wasnt'

it's more about avoiding an image rather than creating one --> avoiding the image of a racist person? Avoid prejudices on him? On her? It's more about avoiding outrage Could the image have formed had the wife missed a single race? Yes Drugs relevant? Alcohol? No to both The fact that the wife does not follow him would have implied something negative to the image of: the wife (e.g. just taking care of children)? His wife specifically? the race man himself? Another race man? No to all Was it more in the interest off the man to avoid such an image? No In the interests of the man? (e.g. to avoid rumors and to avoid not to be focused on races in the future) No

WAG --> was he black? Yes , finally someone asked this Apartheid relevant? No this happens in the US

Relevant who would have gone to the podium had his wife not been present? Other girls/women (relevant if black or white women)...I mean the point being that since he went often to the podium it would have been noticed that several different girls gave him kisses? Nobody? Relevant?
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:44 am

Trebor

Time period relevant? Yes, and this was the question (along with the man's race) that I'd be waiting for someone to ask He’s a HAM? She’s a HAF? Yes to both (Would that make her his better HAF? Ha ha ha.) :lol: As a fan of bad puns I'm disappointed at not coming up with this myself Is her profession relevant? No Relevant what company he drives for? What day of the week races are held? No to both TV audience relevant? I doubt Tv covered racing back then In-person spectators? Yes The children of the racer or his wife? Is this the second marriage for either of them? Neither relevant

You should be able to put it all together now
peter365

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Is his wife also black? Interracial marriage relevant?
gregoryuconn

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:07 am

Were there many black race men? Relevant that someone could have been offended by the fact that a black man could have overcome white men in racing (or that he shared the podium with white people)? Assuming that the wife is white, did the wife in fact get on the podium to receive the prize? Do people see them kissing? Relevant? KKK relevant? Were spectators relevantly racist (at least part of them)? Did he (and his wife) conform to the societal racism in kissing/celebrating the way they do? Did they avoid the image of "rebel"/black man that want to break the rules? Or viceversa, they wanted to avoid the classical (for the time) image of submitted black man?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 am

Gregoryuconn

Is his wife also black? Yes Interracial marriage relevant? Not interracial marriage but......
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am

Earnest

Were there many black race men? No at the time I believe he was the only one. Relevant that someone could have been offended by the fact that a black man could have overcome white men in racing (or that he shared the podium with white people)? While not exactly right you are on the right track Assuming that the wife is white, did the wife in fact get on the podium to receive the prize? She's not white but she does go on the podium but not to receive the prize Do people see them kissing? Yes Relevant? Yes KKK relevant? Not specifically no. Were spectators relevantly racist (at least part of them)? Hard one to answer , at this time there were very strong attitudes to race Did he (and his wife) conform to the societal racism in kissing/celebrating the way they do? Yes Did they avoid the image of "rebel"/black man that want to break the rules? Yes Or viceversa, they wanted to avoid the classical (for the time) image of submitted black man? They didn't really want to do this but were compelled to .

If you picture the scene if a white man had won the race what do you think would occur on the podium.
peter365

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

Would the white man have gone alone? Received a trophy? Received a kiss? From white women? Have celebrated with his wife? With someone else?

WAG--> maybe he was forced to go down to the podium to kiss the wife? Had he gone to the podium, he would have been seen in a position elevated with respect to other withe men. When the wife came he was forced to go down
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 am

Earnest

Would the white man have gone alone? No Received a trophy? Yes Received a kiss? Yes From white women? Yes Have celebrated with his wife? No With someone else? Yes

WAG--> maybe he was forced to go down to the podium to kiss the wife? Had he gone to the podium, he would have been seen in a position elevated with respect to other withe men. When the wife came he was forced to go down His elevated position on the podium is not really relevant
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Are there designated women who kiss the winning driver? But they wouldn't kiss a black winner?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Balin

Are there designated women who kiss the winning driver? Yes But they wouldn't kiss a black winner? Not so much that they wouldn't but I think we can raise the chequered flag on this one

**********************SPOILER********************
I was listening a sports podcast the other and they referenced a black indy car driver during the 1930s/1940s who had to take his wife to the races on the off chance that he would win or place on the podium. The reason was simple , the prize giving ceremony involved beuatiful girls (imagine the playboy bunnies of their era) presenting the winning driver with their garland, trophy and bottle of champagne , this would be accompanied by the obigatory kiss on both cheeks. Racing to this day is still fond of scantily clad girls adding a bit of glamour to the occasion as are many other sports (boxing and the NFL spring to mind).

Attitudes to race in those days meant that it would cause outrage if these beautiful white girls kissed a black man in public and for similar discriminatory reasons the prize girls couldn't be black either.

Accordingly at the behest of the organisers (and possibly sponsors) our hero had to bring his wife along in case he had a successful race when she would present the prize to him with the accompanying kiss thus avoiding a huge scandal.

Thanks goodness we've moved on from those days or at least I hope we have.

Thanks for playing , It thought this would go sooner but nobody asked about race or era so it did a few more laps than it probably should have .
peter365

Re: [Peter365] Drive (Lapped)

Postby WiZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Nobody asked about race or timing in a puzzle about a timed race. Well done, everyone.

Nice puzzle, and another notch on the Quickie Paradox's sword.
WiZ

Re: [Peter365] Drive (Lapped)

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 am

Oh God...thanks God times are changed.
Earnest

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles