[WiZ] The Nokia 3315 in the Smithsonian is on its last bar

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] The Nokia 3315 in the Smithsonian is on its last bar

Postby WiZ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:48 am

Jordan sends Jamie a text message consisting of a single word. A few seconds later, she sends Jamie a second text message consisting of another single word. She could have achieved the same outcome with a single two-word message, so why did she do this?

ROIMBT. Caveat Earlispoilor.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The Nokia 3315 in the Smithsonian is on its last b

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:17 am

she = second She = Jordan = HAF? Jamie = HAM? and to be sure: can we assume phone messages right? (I mean text messages = mails? phone messages? messages written on paper? on walls? Smoke signs? Relevant Brail language? Morse language? Other languages/ways of communication?)

Did she want not to be seen? Were Jamie and Jordan close? Can Jordan hear the sound of Jamie's phone? Did Jordan want to see if Jamie was able to receive the messages? Relevant which were the 2 single words? Would they have made sense if send together? Did the time lapse allow Jamie or Jordan to do something relevant? Did Jamie relevantly expect to receive a message from Jordan? A single message? Two messages? Did Jordan want the messages to cover some other message relevantly? Did they have relevantly a previous conversation? Vibration relevant? Relevant from where Jordan send the message? Relevant where Jamie was when she received the message? (can we assume that Jamie received the two messages? That she read them? That she did not delete them? That she was in possession of the device where the messages had been send?Can we further assume that Jamie had just one device to which both messages have been send and that the two words were different words?) Are white spaces relevant? Emoticons? Did she relevantly use an app to send messages? (e.g. What's app?) or can we assume messages send with whatever app/software? Did someone other than Jamie have relevantly access to the device where the messages have been send? Were Jamie and Jordan in a relevant relationship? Friends? Colleagues? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Relatives? Lovers? Father and daughter? Mother and son? Others?

Were the words two parts of a password? Two parts of the same word?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:54 am

Would it have a different meaning if only the first word was sent? Would the first word by itself also mean something/make sense if sent as a message by itself? Did Jordan change her mind about something right after sending the message? Did she want it to be two messages rather than just one? Did she want two lines of her own messages? Would sending two messages instead of one be advantageous to Jordan in some way? To Jamie? If she sent a single two-word message instead, would it have contained the same words?
Zanreo

Postby WiZ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Earnest

she = second She = Jordan = HAF? Yes, although the F is irrelevant Jamie = HA yes M? irrel - I opted for gender neutral names and helpfully chose two that started with the same letter and to be sure: can we assume phone messages right? Yes, assume I meant an SMS (I mean text messages = mails? phone messages? messages written on paper? on walls? Smoke signs? Relevant Brail language? Morse language? Other languages/ways of communication?) none of this is relevant

Did she want not to be seen? no Were Jamie and Jordan close? yes Can Jordan hear the sound of Jamie's phone? assume not Did Jordan want to see if Jamie was able to receive the messages? no Relevant which were the 2 single words? yes Would they have made sense if send together? yes Did the time lapse allow Jamie no, with an ish that could only be seen under a microscope or Jordan no to do something relevant? Did Jamie relevantly expect to receive a message from Jordan? yes A single message? Two messages? As the situation stood, she would have expected two messages Did Jordan want the messages to cover some other message relevantly? no Did they have relevantly a previous conversation? no Vibration relevant? no Relevant from where Jordan send the message? no Relevant where Jamie was when she received the message? no (can we assume that Jamie received the two messages? That she read them? yes to both That she did not delete them? That she was in possession of the device where the messages had been send? Yes to both, although less relevantly Can we further assume that Jamie had just one device to which both messages have been send and that the two words were different words?) yes Are white spaces relevant?noEmoticons? no Did she relevantly use an app to send messages? (e.g. What's app?) or can we assume messages send with whatever app/software? this, although this detail is irrelevant Did someone other than Jamie have relevantly access to the device where the messages have been send? no Were Jamie and Jordan in a relevant relationship? no Friends? Colleagues? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Relatives? Lovers? Father and daughter? Mother and son? Any and all of these would work, with 'Colleagues' maybe requiring the most caveats Others? Possibly, although you've covered the most likely bases

Were the words two parts of a password? Two parts of the same word? no to both

Zanreo

Would it have a different meaning if only the first word was sent? yes Would the first word by itself also mean something/make sense if sent as a message by itself? No Did Jordan change her mind about something right after sending the message? no Did she want it to be two messages rather than just one? yes Did she want two lines of her own messages? please rephrase Would sending two messages instead of one be advantageous to Jordan in some way? no To Jamie? yes, in a small but relevant way If she sent a single two-word message instead, would it have contained the same words? yes
WiZ

Postby Zanreo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm

I meant if she want her messages to show up as two posts, one under the other, instead of just one post? Did Jamie want to receive a certain number of messages?
Zanreo

Postby WiZ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:47 pm

I meant if she want her messages to show up as two posts, one under the other, instead of just one post? She always intended it to display as two messages - how they looked in relation to each other is irrelevant Did Jamie want to receive a certain number of messages? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 am

Again to be sure, was the phone in possession of Jamie, Jamie's phone? Jordan's phone (e.g. they exchanged the phone/SIM cards)? Someone else's phone? Did Jamie read the two messages? One before the other? The two together? I mean: once she received both or before the first one and then the second? Relevant?

Were Jamie and Jordan close? yes --> to specify, here I meant physically close, not close as "related to each other". Is the answer still yes?

Is vibration/ringer relevant? Had Jamie the phone in her hands when receiving the messages? When receiving the first message? The second (i.e. she took the phone after having received the first message)? Had Jamie the phone in her pockets? I was thinking about a situation in which Jamie has hidden her phone inside the pockets of someone else in order to accuse him/her of having stolen her phone or to provoke her/his embarrassment...

Was Jamie doing a particular activity when receiving the messages? Taking pictures? Sport? Sitting on a table (e.g. formal dinner/lunch)? In a car (driving?)? In a Church? In a Cinema? On a stage? In a place where typically the usage of the phone is forbidden? Was Jamie relevantly with other people when receiving the messages? Could someone else relevantly see the messages/hear the ringer/understand that Jamie received two messages? Notifications of messages relevant? phonebook relevant? phonebook of Jamie? of Jordan? Did Jordan send the second message after a specific amount of time (e.g. after being sure that the first message had been send? After having received an automatic reply? AFTER NOT HAVING RECEIVED ANY REPLY FROM JAMIE? After x seconds? Did he count the seconds? After something had happened? If so to him? To Jamie?)

Jamie's job relevant? Automatic reading of messages relevant (e.g. if she was in a car)? Jordan's job relevant? Did Jordan and Jamie convey before to perform such an exchange of messages? Lot of time before? Days before? Hours before? Minutes before? Seconds before? If so, did they decide it speaking face to face? Through messages? Did Jamie previously send a message/messages to Jordan? Was Jamie: relieved after receiving the messages? Happy? Sad? In a rush? Enabled to do something (e.g. to exit a room/go to the bathroom)?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

Jamie's message tone relevant? And Jordan intentionally sent two messages so it would play twice?
Zanreo

Postby WiZ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:27 am

Earnest

Again to be sure, was the phone in possession of Jamie, Jamie's phone? yes Jordan's phone (e.g. they exchanged the phone/SIM cards)? Someone else's phone? no to rest Did Jamie read the two messages? yes One before the other? this is unlikely, but only due to timing The two together? this, most likely I mean: once she received both or before the first one and then the second? Relevant? not really relevant - this is a consequence of reaction times, proximity to the phone etc.

Were Jamie and Jordan close? yes --> to specify, here I meant physically close, not close as "related to each other". Oops, my mistake Is the answer still yes? The answer is now 'irrelevant, probably not'

Is vibration/ringer relevant? no Had Jamie the phone in her hands when receiving the messages? irrelevant, but there's a reasonable chance When receiving the first message? The second (i.e. she took the phone after having received the first message)? see previous Had Jamie the phone in her pockets? I was thinking about a situation in which Jamie has hidden her phone inside the pockets of someone else in order to accuse him/her of having stolen her phone or to provoke her/his embarrassment... This line of thinking is incorrect

Was Jamie doing a particular activity when receiving the messages? irrelevant, but likely not Taking pictures? Sport? Sitting on a table (e.g. formal dinner/lunch)? In a car (driving?)? In a Church? In a Cinema? On a stage? In a place where typically the usage of the phone is forbidden? A likely no to all of these suggestions Was Jamie relevantly with other people when receiving the messages? no Could someone else relevantly see the messages/hear the ringer/understand that Jamie received two messages? no Notifications of messages relevant? no phonebook relevant One is currently propping up my monitor, but otherwise no phonebook of Jamie? of Jordan? n/a Did Jordan send the second message after a specific amount of time yope (e.g. after being sure that the first message had been send? After having received an automatic reply? AFTER NOT HAVING RECEIVED ANY REPLY FROM JAMIE? After x seconds? there was some consideration given to timing, but no to these examples Did he count the seconds? After something had happened? If so to him? To Jamie?) no to all

Jamie's job relevant? no Automatic reading of messages relevant (e.g. if she was in a car)? no Jordan's job relevant? no Did Jordan and Jamie convey before to perform such an exchange of messages? not necessarily, but there would likely have been some sort of expectations set Lot of time before? this, if anything Days before? Hours before? Minutes before? Seconds before? If so, did they decide it speaking face to face? Through messages? irrelevant, and quite possibly neither Did Jamie previously send a message/messages to Jordan? quite possibly Was Jamie: relieved after receiving the messages? no Happy? yes Sad? In a rush? Enabled to do something (e.g. to exit a room/go to the bathroom)? no to rest

Zanreo

Jamie's message tone relevant? And Jordan intentionally sent two messages so it would play twice? no to both
WiZ

Postby trebor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:25 am

Is the profession of either of them relevant? Is anything illegal going on here? Is the Do Not Disturb function relevant?

If Jamie he received just the first word would she have still been happy? Sad? Hurt? Angry? Frustrated? Annoyed? Does the second word change the meaning of the first? Qualify it somehow? Do the words combined make a full sentence? A common phrase? Would someone else reading the texts get the same meaning from them as Jamie does? Does Jamie react the way Jordan wants them to? Is Jordan trying to mislead Jamie?

Is either one of the words a noun? Pronoun? Adjective? Verb? Adverb? Someone’s name? Do the signal the start of something? (“Go time”, for example?) Even though they would’ve made sense if sent together, would they have meant a different sort of sense than if sent separately? Or been open to misunderstanding? (“Go time” could mean “time to get started”, but could also mean “please walk over there and time me while I do this thing”. Although I think if push came to shove over texting, a person could be clearer. Heh heh heh.)
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:07 am

Text messages: can we assume normal text (no particular fonts/pictures/capital letters/emoticons/colors/others)? So just plain words in the phones' usual fonts?

Was Jamie waiting for something (results of a test/an announcement? The born of a baby?Something else?) ? Was she happy for herself? For Jordan? For someone else? Was Jamie satisfied? For theft that the phone worked properly?

Did the messages refer to Jamie? To Jordan? Had Jamie received just the first message would she have still been happy? If not, would she have felt sad? Unsatisfied? Neutral? Indifferent? Others?

Could the puzzle work with vocal messages? Does the text message consist of two words? A number and a word? Two numbers? Are the words greetings? An answer to a previous message? SMS length relevant? Was it necessary to split the sms into two messages? If so: for sake of clarity? Because they conveyed so? For sake of simplicity? (e.g. Jamie was a bit blind/should focus on one word per time) telephone tapping relevant? Country in which they were (or one of the two was) relevant?

Is the message something like "turn on"? Do an action? "I pass"? "I failed"? "You won"? "You failed"? "DON'T panic"? "lights out"? "It's done"? ""? Is a surprise relevant? Radio? TV?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Trebor

Is the profession of either of them relevant? no Is anything illegal going on here? no Is the Do Not Disturb function relevant? no

If Jamie he received just the first word would she have still been happy? on balance, yes Sad? Hurt? Angry? Frustrated? Annoyed? probable no to all, equally Does the second word change the meaning of the first? no Qualify it somehow? yes Do the words combined make a full sentence? no A common phrase? yes Would someone else reading the texts get the same meaning from them as Jamie does? yes Does Jamie react the way Jordan wants them to? yes Is Jordan trying to mislead Jamie? no

Is either one of the words a noun? yes Pronoun? no Adjective? yes Verb? Adverb? Someone’s name? no to rest Do the signal the start of something? (“Go time”, for example?) yope Even though they would’ve made sense if sent together, would they have meant a different sort of sense than if sent separately? no Or been open to misunderstanding? no (“Go time” could mean “time to get started”, but could also mean “please walk over there and time me while I do this thing”. Although I think if push came to shove over texting, a person could be clearer. Heh heh heh.) indeed!

Earnest

Text messages: can we assume normal text (no particular fonts/pictures/capital letters/emoticons/colors/others)? So just plain words in the phones' usual fonts? Yes, we can assume this

Was Jamie waiting for something (results of a test/an announcement? The born of a baby?Something else?) ? no, to go by your examples Was she happy for herself? yes For Jordan? For someone else? no to these Was Jamie satisfied? please elaborate For theft that the phone worked properly? this is not a relevant consideration

Did the messages refer to Jamie? yes To Jordan? no Had Jamie received just the first message would she have still been happy? probably yes, albeit a little confused If not, would she have felt sad? Unsatisfied? this is closest but isn't quite right Neutral? Indifferent? Others? no to rest

Could the puzzle work with vocal messages? yes, although it would be more cumbersome and the timing would be an issue Does the text message consist of two words? yes, eventually A number and a word? Two numbers? no to both Are the words greetings? Define 'greetings' An answer to a previous message? no SMS length relevant? no Was it necessary to split the sms into two messages? no, to go by your examples If so: for sake of clarity? Because they conveyed so? For sake of simplicity? (e.g. Jamie was a bit blind/should focus on one word per time) telephone tapping relevant? no to all Country in which they were (or one of the two was) relevant? As far as I can tell, this would work in every country in the world except one, although some of the contextual details would be different in a few countries

Is the message something like "turn on"? Do an action? "I pass"? "I failed"? "You won"? "You failed"? "DON'T panic"? "lights out"? "It's done"? ""? Is a surprise relevant? Radio? TV? no to all
WiZ

!

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:05 am

Dates/times relevant? i.e. Jordan send her a number from 1 to 12 in the first message and then specified a.m. or p.m. in the second one...oh I just realized we said no numbers...but still I'll leave it unchanged.

Did Jordan send the two words just to Jamie? Activation of something relevant? treasure hunt? A permission to do something? A judgment? A choice? If so, made by Jordan? Something that just Jordan knew? Clues (e.g. the color of a car, the brand of something, the strength of a medicine, color of the line of suburb...)? Was Jordan hidden? Was Jamie looking for something relevant? Was Jamie allowed to do something?

Did the noun refer to an object? To something belonging to Jamie? To Jamie directly (e.g. "you")? Had Jamie not received any message would she have texted Jordan? If so, with two messages? In the same way Jordan texted her? Did Jamie reply to Jordan? If so, with more than a message? With more than a word? With a picture? By going to Jordan? By doing something relevant? Did Jamie start doing something?

Red light/Green light relevant? Is the adjective the second word? Is the adjective referring to: Jamie? to the noun? After the first message, did Jamie expect the adjective used or its contrary? Any adjective? Nothing in particular? Is it something like: fast/slow? bad/good? A color? later/earlier? severe/not severe?

To be sure: was everything fine among Jamie and Jordan? Did they regularly speak? Did they have a fight? Or can we assume it was a normal day and their relationship was as always? Did they see each other regularly? Was it a lot of time that they were not able/did not communicate? Were they relevantly playing a game? Chat relevant? Chess relevant?

Define 'greetings' --> good morning? Good evening? Good night? Hello world? What's new? Alright mate? (e.g. a mother worried by the son who send her the goodnight)
E.g. sending two messages helped her interpreting the sentence as not being a greeting: i.e. saying for instance "good evening" she could have wrongly interpreted it as a greeting when instead Jordan wanted to say that the evening had been good. Is it something along this line? (maybe with a name...)
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Dates/times relevant? yes! i.e. Jordan send her a number from 1 to 12 in the first message and then specified a.m. or p.m. in the second one...oh I just realized we said no numbers...but still I'll leave it unchanged. no to example, for reasons you have outlined :)

Did Jordan send the two words just to Jamie? yes Activation of something relevant? no treasure hunt? no A permission to do something? no A judgment? no A choice? no If so, made by Jordan? n/a Something that just Jordan knew? no Clues (e.g. the color of a car, the brand of something, the strength of a medicine, color of the line of suburb...)? no Was Jordan hidden? no Was Jamie looking for something relevant? no Was Jamie allowed to do something ?no

Did the noun refer to an object? no To something belonging to Jamie? yes To Jamie directly (e.g. "you")? no Had Jamie not received any message would she have texted Jordan? she would probably have initiated a conversation on that basis, yes If so, with two messages? In the same way Jordan texted her? no(t necessarily) to both Did Jamie reply to Jordan? probably If so, with more than a message? possibly, but irrelevant With more than a word? probably more than one word, yes With a picture? possibly, but irrelevant By going to Jordan? possibly, but irrelevant By doing something relevant? no, although there is a range of likely responses Did Jamie start doing something? I will say no

Red light/Green light relevant? no Is the adjective the second word? no Is the adjective referring to: Jamie? to the noun? this After the first message, did Jamie expect the adjective used or its contrary? FA Any adjective? no Nothing in particular? no Is it something like: fast/slow? bad/good? 'Good' is the closest of these A color? later/earlier? severe/not severe? no to rest

To be sure: was everything fine among Jamie and Jordan? yes Did they regularly speak? assume yes Did they have a fight? no Or can we assume it was a normal day please define this and their relationship was as always? we can assume that much, though Did they see each other regularly? irrelevant Was it a lot of time that they were not able/did not communicate? no Were they relevantly playing a game? no, in light of your examples Chat relevant? Chess relevant? no to both

Define 'greetings' --> good morning? Good evening? Good night? Hello world? What's new? Alright mate? (e.g. a mother worried by the son who send her the goodnight) It wasn't a 'greeting' in this vein, no
E.g. sending two messages helped her interpreting the sentence as not being a greeting: i.e. saying for instance "good evening" she could have wrongly interpreted it as a greeting when instead Jordan wanted to say that the evening had been good. Is it something along this line? (maybe with a name...) I can see the thinking here, but the answer is no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:50 am

Dates/times relevant? yes! -->time zones relevant? were dates or times involved directly in the messages? Or maybe jordan wanted to send the message exactly at a specific time? E.g. midnight, i.e. 00:00? Is a birthday involved? Are the words "Happy birthday"? E.g. jamie wanted Jordan to be the very first one to wish her happy birthday bit at the same time did not want to receive the wish before her actual birth day. Hence they conveid that Jordan send her the word "happy" and seconds after the word "birthday". Maybe this was a strategy to prevent that jamie received other messages exactly at midnight? Is google calendar relevant? Alarms? Clocks?

Was the adjective send before the noun (i.e. in the first message?)? After?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:42 am

Dates/times relevant? yes! -->time zones relevant? no were dates or times involved directly in the messages? no Or maybe jordan wanted to send the message exactly at a specific time? yes E.g. midnight, i.e. 00:00? yes, both messages were sent around midnight Is a birthday involved? yes! Are the words "Happy birthday"? and yes! E.g. jamie wanted Jordan to be the very first one to wish her happy birthday bit at the same time did not want to receive the wish before her actual birth day. Hence they conveid that Jordan send her the word "happy" and seconds after the word "birthday". Maybe this was a strategy to prevent that jamie received other messages exactly at midnight? but no to all this Is google calendar relevant? Alarms? Clocks? no to both

Was the adjective send before the noun (i.e. in the first message?)? yes After? left as an exercise for the reader
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 am

So he send "Happy" before midnight and "birthday" after right ( I just solved the exercise xD)? Can we assume that it was 11:59' whrn Jamie send her "Happy" and 00:00 when he send "birthday"? Are clocks on the phones of jamie and jordan relevant? Can we assume that they perfectly matched? Was Jamie celebrating just her birthday? Something else? ...if it were on facebook I would have said that jordan waited to write down the word birthday since it was associated by facebook to the emoticons releated to birthday.

Did Jamie delete one of the two messages afterward? Is order of messages in Jamie's phone relevant? Did jordan want to be the first one wishing her an happy birthday? Relevant? Did Jamie want him to be the first one? Was it in fact Jamie's birthday? Jordan's? Send back relevant? Automatic response relevant?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:24 pm

So he send "Happy" before midnight and "birthday" after right ( I just solved the exercise xD)? Yes, this is what he did. Why? Can we assume that it was 11:59' whrn Jamie send her "Happy" and 00:00 when he send "birthday"? yes Are clocks on the phones of jamie and jordan relevant? no (other than that they would both show the time as you outlined before) Can we assume that they perfectly matched? yes Was Jamie celebrating just her birthday? yes Something else? ... no if it were on facebook I would have said that jordan waited to write down the word birthday since it was associated by facebook to the emoticons releated to birthday. this plays no part in the answer

Did Jamie delete one of the two messages afterward? no Is order of messages in Jamie's phone relevant? no Did jordan want to be the first one wishing her an happy birthday? no Relevant? no Did Jamie want him to be the first one? no Was it in fact Jamie's birthday? Yope!! Jordan's? no Send back relevant? Automatic response relevant? no to both
WiZ

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 am

Did she type the messages? Send them by voice text?
Was it Jamie's birthday at 11:59? At midnight? Did Jordan start to send a "happy birthday" message only to realize it was not yet technically Jamie's birthday?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:47 am

Did Jordan wait the midnight on purpose? Relevant that at midnight the days changes? If so, because: it began the birthday of Jamie? Because the phone sign up the message in another date? Did they convey to do that at that time? Or it could have also been before? After? Did jamie receive a new phone as bday present? Are birthday presents relevant? Did she need to reach a certain number of received messages the day before her birthday? The day of her birthday? Did she change the phone number?
Earnest

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles