[klondike mary] What not to name a business

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] What not to name a business

Postby klondike mary » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:21 pm

What?!! You mean that is obscene??
I can't say fire____________?
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] What not to name a business

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Fireman? Firefighter? Firebug? Is the "Fire____________" actually obscene? Does one person tell another person that a thing is obscene to say? Is the speaker of the puzzle sentence HAM? Profession of the speaker relevant?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 am

Fireman? Firefighter? Firebug? No to all.Is the "Fire____________" actually obscene?No Does one person Noish.tell another person that a thing is obscene to say? Is the speaker of the puzzle sentence HAM? Profession of the speaker relevant? [b]The speaker is me, a HAF, but none of this is relevant., except being human./b]
GalFisk
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:57 am

What?!! --> were you astonished? surprised? upset?

You --> a generic you? did you refer to someone in particular? a person (friend/collegue/relative...)? a politician? an actor? someone famous? your audience?

Is fire_____ English? You cannot say = you cannot say out loud? You are not physically enabled/allowed to say it (e.g. automatic correction/censorship with t9/what's app)? You may incur in sanctions if you say it? Someone might be offended?

Is it a conversation? If so, did it happen at the phone? with someone else replying? is it a fake conversation? A theater scene? a thought? you reading? Reading a signal? a book? an advice? you texting someone? competing a picture? relevant? Is playing a game relevant? making a joke? telling a joke? making an ironic comment to something?

obscene = rude? dirty? indecent? rude for a particular audience? forbidden? Not allowed by the law?

You mean that is obscene?? --> assuming that this rephrases to: "you mean that IT is obscene??", right? if so, does the first IT refers to the fact of saying fire____ specifically? or maybe of speaking in general? Of saying words beginning with "fire"?

I can't say fire____________? --> so this is a question made with astonishment/surprise right? Do the continuous linee after fire (i.e. __________): has a relevant length? denote a censorship? line going dead? a name to be completed (e.g. fireSTORM, fireSTONE, fireFOX...)? A brand? a conversation being cut? you writing the line in order someone to understand that you cannot say something?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 pm

What?!! --> were you astonished? surprised? yes to both.upset?

You --> a generic you? In the sentence, this is correct.did you refer to someone in particular? No. a person (friend/collegue/relative...)? a politician? an actor? someone famous? your audience?

Is fire_____ English? Yes.You cannot say = you cannot say out loud? You are not physically enabled/allowed to say it (e.g. automatic correction/censorship with t9/what's app)? This. You may incur in sanctions if you say it? Someone might be offended? Yes to both, if, as you surmise, 'say' does not necessarily mean 'speak.'

Is it a conversation? Noish or no. If so, did it happen at the phone? with someone else replying? No and no.is it a fake conversation? Sort of-ish.A theater scene? a thought? you reading? Reading a signal? a book? an advice? No to all.you texting someone? Close, but not quite.competing a picture? relevant? Is playing a game relevant? making a joke? telling a joke? making an ironic comment to something?No to all.

obscene = rude?yessish. dirty? indecent? no to both.rude for a particular audience? yes. forbidden? Yope. Not allowed by the law? n.r.

You mean that is obscene?? --> assuming that this rephrases to: "you mean that IT is obscene??", right? if so, does the first IT refers to the fact of saying fire____ specifically? Not specifically. or maybe of speaking in general? No. Of saying words beginning with "fire"? There is an FA here, which I'm afraid I have encouraged. The 'obscene'/ objectionable part comes after the 'fire'.

I can't say fire____________? --> so this is a question made with astonishment/surprise right?Yes. Do the continuous linee after fire (i.e. __________): has a relevant length? denote a censorship? line going dead? a name to be completed (e.g. fireSTORM, fireSTONE, fireFOX...)? You have the right idea, Earnest, but none of these. A brand? Yessish, no to the rest. a conversation being cut? you writing the line in order someone to understand that you cannot say something?
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:33 am

is it obscene after something occurred? a tragedy? a bad event? or has it always been obscene?

A brand? Yessish --> a brand of a product? product found at supermarket? of food? does the name reflect the object (nomen est omen? xD)?

Can it be described otherwise than "obscene"? Is "being obscene" the specific reason given by the automatic correction for not allowing you to write/say fire____? Relevant to who is obscene? to a category of people? To everyone? to babies?

Does the line after fire appeared truly? as a result of a search? or is it effectively a word? A sign? the something obscene? would e_____ be obscene? would ______ alone be obscene? would "random word"_____ be obscene? Does the obscene part denote: nudity? vulgar words? past brands? brands of ambiguous objects (e.g. condoms)? an offense? an offense in slang? maybe a word which is become rude recently (e.g. after a song/ an event)?

Would people in the forum be able to say the word? Were you able to say it, say, 5 years ago? 1 years ago? 1 week ago? 1 month ago? relevant?

texting someone? Close, but not quite --> are you taking notes? keeping a diary? a memo? writing to something that does not allow you to write such a word? talking to Siri? (e.g. Siri does not allow you to write so) making a research on google? Writing on a device? google calendar relevant? google maps? others?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 pm

is it obscene after something occurred? a tragedy? a bad event? no specific event.or has it always been obscene? It is not actually obscene, in the sense of 4-letter word, but is sometimes considered impolite.

A brand? Yessish --> a brand of a product? yope product found at supermarket? of food? food is involved. does the name reflect the object (nomen est omen? xD)? YopeCan it be described otherwise than "obscene"? Yes. See above and below.Is "being obscene" the specific reason given by the automatic correction for not allowing you to write/say fire____? Yes. Relevant to who is obscene? Apparently I am, to the app. to a category of people? Yes. everyone? to babies? Babies would not object.

Does the line after fire appeared truly? as a result of a search? Think it was 'caught' automatically.or is it effectively a word?a word. A sign? the something obscene? would e_____ be obscene? would ______ alone be obscene? YES. would "random word"_____ be obscene? The word in the blank is the one that is offensive, not the prefix ('fire')Does the obscene part denote: nudity? No. vulgar words? Yessish past brands? brands of ambiguous objects (e.g. condoms)? No or nr. to all.an offense? an offense in slang? m[b]The word is offensive in slang, but not in Standard English.[/b]aybe a word which is become rude recently (e.g. after a song/ an event)? It has become more offensive than it used to be, but no specific event is relevant.

Would people in the forum be able to say the word? Depends on context. Were you able to say it, say, 5 years ago? IDK, but probably.[ years ago? 1 week ago? 1 month ago? relevant? Depends on context, can't answer. Probably relevant.
Texting someone? Close, but not quite --> are you taking notes? keeping a diary? a memo?No to these. writing to something that does not allow you to write such a word? talking to Siri? (e.g. Siri does not allow you to write so)Electrinic devices are relevant. making a research on google? Writing on a device? google calendar relevant? google maps? others? Using my com[iter/ Relevent.
klondike mary

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:09 am

Firecracker?
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 am

firebrat? firedamp?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Firecracker? Yes, that is the word that goes in the blank, in the puzzle.
But what is the obscenity?

Hobbsicle
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:11 pm

t9 correction relevant? automatic correction in something vulgar? Is it offensive now? I mean...if you go in a street and call someone a cracker would he be offended? Would he laugh? has It become offensive as a consequence of its usage in a particular context (e.g. new terms coined by new generation using the internet...)? Is discrimination relevant? black/white discrimination? Homosexuality? religion? Belonging to a minority? Others?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm

t9 correction relevant? automatic correction in something vulgar? Yes.Is it offensive now? I mean...if you go in a street and call someone a cracker would he be offended? Possibly Would he laugh? Also possibly. has It become offensive as a consequence of its usage in a particular context (e.g. new terms coined by new generation using the internet..? It has become more offensive recently, but I don't think bc of the internet. Is discrimination relevant? black/white discrimination? Yes and yes. Homosexuality? religion? [No to both. Belonging to a minority? [b]Yope.[/b]Others?
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:45 pm

t9 correction relevant? automatic correction in something vulgar? Yes.Is it offensive now? I mean...if you go in a street and call someone a cracker would he be offended? Possibly Would he laugh? Also possibly. has It become offensive as a consequence of its usage in a particular context (e.g. new terms coined by new generation using the internet..? It has become more offensive recently, but I don't think bc of the internet. Is discrimination relevant? black/white discrimination? Yes and yes. Homosexuality? religion? [No to both. Belonging to a minority? Yope.Others?
Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 am

Cracker, as in the slang for a white person? Did the app censor that somehow?
Hobbsicle

Postby klondike mary » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Cracker, as in the slang for a white person? Did the app censor that somehow?Yep.

*************SPOILER**********************
When setting up my account for online banking, my account asked me some security questions, such as name of first pet, name of family doctor, etc. One question concerned my favorite restaurant. I have several, and finally picked a popular regional (and national, I think) called 'Cracker Barrel." The name is to suggest the atmosphere of an old-fashioned country store, reflected in menu and decor. They do sell things other than food, including some clothing items

Their bot, whatever it is, refused to accept this answer, saying obscenities were not allowed. Maybe ethnic slurs fall under the heading of 4-letter words? Anyway, I substituted Chili's, which, in spite of the name, is not a Mexican restaurant, though they do sell chili.
klondike mary

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:12 pm

That's a censorship I never thought I'd see.

Good puzzle, bad app.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles