[WiZ] At His Most Beautiful

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] At His Most Beautiful

Postby WiZ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 pm

At a party, Geoff announces to his friends that he will change an aspect of his appearance. He excuses himself to the bathroom and returns a few minutes later. His friends do not react strongly.

A few minutes later, Geoff announces that he regrets this decision and will change it back. He excuses himself to the bathroom and returns a few minutes later. His friends lose their minds.

What had happened?

ROIMBT. Caveat Earlispoilor. OOATP rules apply.
Last edited by WiZ on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] At His Most Beautiful

Postby Haenlomal » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:22 am

His friends do not react strongly.
Was there any reaction at all? If yes, was the reaction positive? negative? neutral?

Similarly
His friends lose their minds.
Lose their minds in a positive sense? negative sense? both?

I'm more than a trifle rusty at this, so I hope I'm not breaking any OOATP rules...thanks for the helpful link, btw.
Haenlomal

Postby GalFisk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 am

Lose their minds: go literally insane? Express boundless joy? Admiration? Anger? Amusement? Bewilderment? Disappointment? Is he performing a magic trick? Is the second change something that his friends thought impossible? Unlikely? Fake? Unreasonably quick?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Haenlomal

Well, hello there, Haenlomal! Further evidence, I see, that nobody ever truly leaves this forum. Great to see you back. I hope you stick around. On to your questions, then.

Was there any reaction at all? yes If yes, was the reaction positive? negative? neither of these, particularly neutral? yesish

Similarly, Lose their minds in a positive sense? yope to yesish negative sense? yope to noish both? yesish

I'm more than a trifle rusty at this, so I hope I'm not breaking any OOATP rules...thanks for the helpful link, btw. I was considering cutting you off after your questions about the first reaction, but decided that would be overly litigious

GalFisk

Lose their minds: go literally insane? Express boundless joy? Admiration? Anger? Amusement? no to these Bewilderment? yes Disappointment? no

Remaining questions snipped as per OAATP rules
WiZ

Postby Haenlomal » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Well, hello there, Haenlomal! Further evidence, I see, that nobody ever truly leaves this forum. Great to see you back. I hope you stick around.
Thank you for your greetings, Steve. I'm surprised that you actually remember me from before -- I didn't think I participated in the old forum regularly enough to stick in people's minds. Then again, I did become a moderator (quite unexpectedly -- I might add), so there's that, I suppose.

One more non-puzzle related question: What's ROIMBT? Don't recall seeing that in the old forum.

Anyway, onto more proper questions:

Change an aspect of his appearance: was it one? more? (if more, insert LTPF list of positive numbers here) change(s)? Did the change(s) affect the head? arms? hands? upper torso? abdomen? legs? feet?
Haenlomal

Postby WiZ » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:57 am

What's ROIMBT? Don't recall seeing that in the old forum.

"Read on Internet; must be true" - it's a way of saying the puzzle was based on a true story, but the source may not be especially reputable.

Change an aspect of his appearance: was it one? yes more? Subsequent question has been removed as per rules.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 am

was the aspect of his appearance something physical e.g. facial hair?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Sorry, didn't see the OAATP notice. Is the second change something that his friends thought impossible? Unlikely? Fake? Unreasonably quick?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Is the nature of the party relevant?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am

Idk if this is at the boundary of OAATP rules...but say these are all questions about his appearance...

will change it back = returns to his original appearance? i.e. let's call: appearance A the initial one, B the one after he went to the bathroom and C the final one. Given that A is different from both B and C, are A and C equal? After he went the second time, did he actually change his appearance (beard? eyes? make up? hair? feet? nails? moles? clothing? ) back? Or maybe he faked to do it? Or maybe he changed back the aspect of his appearance that he modified first but changed other aspects of his appearance in a relevant way (so that A is different from C)?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 am

Peter

was the aspect of his appearance something physical yes e.g. facial hair? and yes!

GalFisk

Is the second change something that his friends thought impossible? yes Unlikely? yesish, I suppose by that token Fake? perhaps eventually Unreasonably quick? yes

Trebor

Is the nature of the party relevant? no

Earnest

will change it back = returns to his original appearance? i.e. let's call: appearance A the initial one, B the one after he went to the bathroom and C the final one. Given that A is different from both B and C, are A and C equal? yes

Subsequent questions have been snipped - you can ask a single question and propose multiple specific variables, but you cannot ask more than one distinct question around the same theme.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:27 am

Sorry!!!!

facial hair --> beard? eyebrows?

WAG --> did he exploit a fake beard?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Sorry!!!!

facial hair --> beard? yes eyebrows? no

WAG --> did he exploit a fake beard? no (we don't have a ruling on WAGs, so I'll allow it)
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am

we don't have a ruling on WAGs, so I'll allow it --> AFAIK one is allowed...is like one question + a single WAG if I remember correctly.

So action made on beard the first time assuming it is a different action from second time: cut? shaved? add beard Christmas balls? painted? combed? lacquered? washed? trimmed? covered/hidden? tied?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Did he announce he would shave, shaved, announce he'd changed his mind, then return with a full beard again?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Earnest

we don't have a ruling on WAGs, so I'll allow it --> AFAIK one is allowed...is like one question + a single WAG if I remember correctly. As the person who wrote the rules, I have no recollection of this. Oh well. It's canon now. Onwards!

So action made on beard the first time assuming it is a different action from second time correct: cut? shaved? this add beard Christmas balls? you know it's the new 20s when... painted? combed? lacquered? washed? trimmed? covered/hidden? tied? no to rest

Balin

Did he announce he would shave, shaved, announce he'd changed his mind, then return with a full beard again? To all appearances, yes
WiZ

Postby Balin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 pm

Did he don a false beard after shaving?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Did he don a false beard after shaving? no
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 am

Twin shenanigans relevant?
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 am

Twin shenanigans relevant?

***** SPOILER *****

Geoff's identical twin brother was hiding in the bathroom. During the party, Geoff announces that he will shave his beard off. After a few minutes, his (clean-shaved, but otherwise indistinguishable) twin brother returns and pretends to be Geoff.

"Geoff" then announces that he will grow his beard back, and disappears into the bathroom again, at which point the real Geoff re-appears, still bearded as he was.

Congratulations, Hobbsicle, on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing. Not my first puzzle about identical-apart-from-the-beard twins, and also probably not my best. Ah well.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] At His Most Beautiful [FOUND A WAY TO MAKE YOU SPO

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am

Cool! Did not think about a twin!!!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles