[WiZ] We have -941 members [MYSTERY UNLOCKED]

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] We have -941 members [MYSTERY UNLOCKED]

Postby WiZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:26 am

A man approaches a locked door with the appropriate key, hoping to unlock it. He inserts the key in the lock and turns it. The door unlocks. Nothing else happens. The man is very sad. Why?

Autobiographical. No caveat.
Last edited by WiZ on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] We have -941 members just thought I'd point it out

Postby Sundowner » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:25 am

Did the door open?
Was it a real, physical door? or a door in a game?
Did he want to walk through the door?

We have -941 members just thought I'd point it out -- then let's better keep this forum a secret, if 941 more people join it will run emtpy. :o
Sundowner

Postby Doriana » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:28 am

Has the man opened this door before? with the same key?
Is he sad because the door opened? because of what was behind the door?
Does the door lead to a building? to a room within a building?
Escape rooms relevant?
Doriana

Postby WiZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Sundowner

Did the door open? yes
Was it a real, physical door? yes or a door in a game? no
Did he want to walk through the door? yes

We have -941 members just thought I'd point it out -- then let's better keep this forum a secret, if 941 more people join it will run emtpy. :o Shortly after the forum migrated here, we had one day where we gained 3500 members overnight. Perhaps that could save us from ruin.

Doriana

Has the man opened this door before? with the same key? yes to both
Is he sad because the door opened? no because of what was behind the door? no
Does the door lead to a building? to a room within a building? no to both
Escape rooms relevant? no
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:11 am

Was he sad before opening the door? Was he sad because nothing else happened? Was he disappointed? Relevant what the door was for? Was it made for humans? Something bigger? Smaller? Different? Relevant how he got the key? Who locked it?
GalFisk

Postby Mimino » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 am

Did he expect something to happen when he unlocked the door? when he opened the door? when he walked through it?
Would he have been more happy if he had been unable to unlock the door? unable to open it?
Did he test his burglary alarm? test the key?
Did his success in opening the door basically show that any key would open the door?
Was he allowed to open the door?
Did he expect something or someone being behind the door?
Mimino

Postby WiZ » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:51 am

GalFisk

Was he sad before opening the door? not for reasons relevant to the puzzle Was he sad because nothing else happened? yes Was he disappointed? yes Relevant what the door was for? yes Was it made for humans? yes Something bigger? Smaller? Different? no to rest Relevant how he got the key? Who locked it? no to both

Mimino

Did he expect something to happen when he unlocked the door? yes when he opened the door? when he walked through it? no to these
Would he have been more happy if he had been unable to unlock the door? no unable to open it? no
Did he test his burglary alarm? no test the key? no
Did his success in opening the door basically show that any key would open the door? no
Was he allowed to open the door? yes
Did he expect something or someone being behind the door? no
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 am

Does the door unlock in a different way than expected? Was it a lock that could be locked by turning the key once or twice? Do we need to find out more about the lock?

Was he disappointed instantly when the door unlocked? Seconds after? Minutes after?

Was it the door to his house? flat? apartment? someone else's house/flat/apartment? The door to one of his rooms? At his place of work? Somewhere else?

Does he expect to see something? Hear something? Smell something?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:03 pm

Was the door a car door?
Doriana

Postby wolfier » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:19 am

did he got disappointed after the door has opened? Or between the time the unlock and the door opened?
was the unlock a planned action? was his previous opening of the door a preparatory action for this unlocking?
wolfier

Postby trebor » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:24 am

Did he expect someone? something? to be there on the other side? If so, was that something/something there? Did the man go through the doorway? To be clear: the door unlocked, and opened? Was it opened by the man? By someone on the other side?

Did the man expect to hear something when he unlocked the door? WAG, but was he expecting to hear a dog bark (or another pet sound)? Perhaps he'd been away for some time and the pet had died in the interim, but this was the first time unlocking the door and not being greeted by the furry family member?

If not, was it the door to a house? Apartment? (The man's?) Workplace? Shed? Hotel room? Was the man approaching from the inside side of the door? (That would be a weird lock, but there must be situations where it's safest/best.)
trebor

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Was it his birthday and he was unlocking the door to his home expecting people to shout “surprise” because they had a surprise party or at least wish him a a happy birthday? And nobody did?
gregoryuconn

Postby WiZ » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 pm

LemonCurry

Does the door unlock in a different way than expected? yesish Was it a lock that could be locked by turning the key once or twice? once, typically Do we need to find out more about the lock? yes

Was he disappointed instantly when the door unlocked? yes Seconds after? Minutes after? no to rest

Was it the door to his house? flat? apartment? someone else's house/flat/apartment? The door to one of his rooms? At his place of work? Somewhere else? no to all

Does he expect to see something? yes Hear something? yes Smell something? no

Doriana

Was the door a car door? Yes

Well done, Door-iana

Wolfier

did he got disappointed after the door has opened? no Or between the time the unlock and the door opened? yes
was the unlock a planned action? yes was his previous opening of the door a preparatory action for this unlocking? no

Trebor

Did he expect someone? something? to be there on the other side? no If so, was that something/something there? n/a Did the man go through the doorway? yes (but irrelevant) To be clear: the door unlocked, and opened? yes Was it opened by the man? yes By someone on the other side? no

Did the man expect to hear something when he unlocked the door? yes WAG, but was he expecting to hear a dog bark (or another pet sound)? no Perhaps he'd been away for some time and the pet had died in the interim, but this was the first time unlocking the door and not being greeted by the furry family member? sad, but fortunately not the case here

If not, was it the door to a house? Apartment? (The man's?) Workplace? Shed? Hotel room? no to these Was the man approaching from the inside side of the door? no (That would be a weird lock, but there must be situations where it's safest/best.) Houdini once did this in response to a challenge to unlock an 'unlockable' safe - he offered to 'make the challenge more difficult' by starting out locked inside, where it would be much easier to crack

GregoryUConn

Was it his birthday no and he was unlocking the door to his home expecting people to shout “surprise” because they had a surprise party or at least wish him a a happy birthday? And nobody did? this is not the solution

If you anticipate a surprise party and are proven correct, then it is not a surprise. But if you anticipate a surprise party and are surprised that there isn't one, then your wish has not been fulfilled. Curious.
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:43 am

Was something broken inside the car? The central locking system?
LemonCurry

Postby Mimino » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:28 am

Did he expect that unlocking the door would unlock all doors? which did not happen? meaning that the central lock did not work? possibly meaning that the battery of the car was low?
Mimino

Re: [WiZ] We have -941 members [MYSTERY UNLOCKED]

Postby WiZ » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:36 pm

LemonCurry

Was something broken inside the car? yes, ish to 'broken', see below The central locking system? no (inasmuch as the mechanisms were still in working order)

Mimino

Did he expect that unlocking the door would unlock all doors? yes which did not happen? yes meaning that the central lock did not work? yes possibly meaning that the battery of the car was low? yes

***** SPOILER *****

He [WiZ] is unlocking his car, which has central locking. When only the driver's door unlocks, he surmises that he left his headlights on the previous night and killed the battery.

Congratulations, Mimino (with a good assist from Doriana) on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles