[klondike mary] Perhaps a quickie?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[klondike mary] Perhaps a quickie?

Postby klondike mary » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Yesterday, I traveled both forward in time and backward.
In fact, I go back in time several times a day. How is this possible?
klondike mary

Re: [klondike mary] Perhaps a quickie?

Postby Doriana » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Time zones relevant at all?
Doriana

Postby TDGperson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Real life? a video game? Undo buttons relevant?

Looking at old photographs / thinking about the past relevant?
TDGperson

Postby klondike mary » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Time zones relevant at all?For part of the puzzle, yes.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Real life? Yes.a video game? Undo buttons relevant?

Looking at old photographs / thinking about the past relevant? No to all.
TDGperson
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am

"Time machine" app of mac computer relevant?
Say there are place A and place B. Had you made place A --> place B --> place A --> place B in different time zones?
Did you travel in space? Did you travel back and forth in time the same way? Say you did it 5 times, did you travel physicallly back and forth 5 times in time? Virtually? Did you simply manipulate your clock? Time displayed on the phone relevant? Had you physically stayed in a unique place, would you have travelled the time as well (i.e. would the puzzle work)? Is technology relevant? PC? Is time meant as normal time (hours of a day and so on? In contrast with for instance time as movement of a pendulum, theoretical time or time to thee end of thee world quantified in normalized years...7 I guess). Can people normally travel time as well as you made?
Do you go back in time of hours? days? From a minimum of an hour to a maximum of 12 hours? Of minutes? seconds?

recordings relevant? TV? A recording of you (so videos of you played back and forth or your voice...)?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:19 pm

"Time machine" app of mac computer relevant?No.
Say there are place A and place B. Had you made place A --> place B --> place A --> place B in different time zones? Huh? I'm confused. But see below.
Did you travel in space?No, not in real life. Did you travel back and forth in time the same way?No. I went 'ahead' in time one way and 'backward' in another. Say you did it 5 times, did you travel physicallly back and forth 5 times in time? No, I stayed put just where I am.Virtually? Did you simply manipulate your clock? That is part of the puzzle.Time displayed on the phone relevant? Yope. Had you physically stayed in a unique place, would you have travelled the time as well (i.e. would the puzzle work)? Is technology relevant? Yes, very. The fact that I have a computer is also relevant to part of the puzzle.PC? Is time meant as normal time (hours of a day and so on? In contrast with for instance time as movement of a pendulum, theoretical time or time to thee end of thee world quantified in normalized years...7 No theoretical time is relevant.I guess). Can people normally travel time as well as you made? Yes for both parts of the puzzle.
Do you go back in time of hours? days? From a minimum of an hour to a maximum of 12 hours? Of minutes? seconds?One hour.

recordings relevant? TV? A recording of you (so videos of you played back and forth or your voice...)?No to all
As you may have surmised, the one-hour gap has to do with changing from summer time to regular timej, US CST in my case. And I did 'fall back,' and change my clocks & watches - the ones that did not change automatically. One clock, though, is high up and hard to access, so I have put off changing it. Instead, I subtract one hour when I look at it.

That would be fine, except I am beginning to subtract that hour when I look at my other timepieces, which do have the correct time. Fortunately, I usually correct myself in time (See what I did there?) Since the 'wrong' clock is the largest in my residence, I still glance at it several times a day.

But how did I 'go forward' in time.

Earnest
klondike mary

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm

'go forward' = with respect to the changed time? (so that you go forward of 1 hour to go to the right time)
Maybe a clock is 2 hours backward and you have to add an hour? Is here where technology is involved? Time zone of the computer relevant?
Earnest

Postby klondike mary » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:38 am

'go forward' = with respect to the changed time? (so that you go forward of 1 hour to go to the right time)No mental math is involved in going forward.
Maybe a clock is 2 hours backward and you have to add an hour? Is here where technology is involved? Technology is involved, but not in this way.Time zone of the computer relevant?The time on my PC changed automatically. But time zones are very relevant.
The concept of time zones dates back to the days of the railroad. 'Summer Time' or DST at least to WW2. The puzzle is more contemporary.

Earnest
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:44 pm

Hint: Almost all active members of this forum 'time-travel' frequently.
klondike mary

Postby AlbatrossLover » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Is the time displayed on the forum itself relevant? The timezone changing from the default to whatever timezone you're in when the user logs in?
AlbatrossLover

Postby klondike mary » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:15 pm

*************SPOILER******************
I was in a zoom meeting with someone in Australia, where it was already 'tomorrow.'

Good on ya, Al, wherever and whenever you are!
klondike mary

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles